    Not surprising for a new technology, but they're more expensive than
    DVD+R DL (not that DVD+R DL is cheap either). I wonder if they will be
    more compatible than DVD+R DL.

    Pat, May 31, 2005

  2. Pat

    John Eckart Guest

    +R are supposed to be more compatible than -R.

    John Eckart, Jun 1, 2005

  3. Now THAT is totally false. Just about all standalones and DVD drives
    read -R, none of the ones I have will read +R

    Bruce Markowitz, Jun 2, 2005
  4. Pat

    John Eckart Guest

    http://www.dvdrw.com/why/faq.htm

    Q: Just how compatible is the DVD+R/+RW format?

    A: The most comprehensive independent research performed by Intellikey Labs found that DVD+R is compatible with over 95% of current DVD players and drives, which makes it the most compatible of all recordable DVD formats. Furthermore, a DVD+RW video recorder is based on the normal DVD-Video specifications, hence it is very unlikely that need to buy a new player with dedicated playback functionality or compatibility logos to play your discs. Even the edits you make on your DVD+RW discs are DVD-Video compatible.

    Two-way Compatibility
    http://www.dvdrw.com/why/glossary.htm#twoway
    Two-way compatibility is the basic philosophy for DVD+R and DVD+RW. It means that existing DVD-Video discs can be played on a DVD+RW recorder (or that existing DVD-ROM discs can be read on a DVD+RW drive), and that the recordings you make on DVD+R and DVD+RW discs can be played on existing DVD-Video players and DVD-ROM drives.

    Q: Is DVD+R/+RW a real DVD format?

    A: DVD+R/+RW recorders are the only DVD recorders that use just one operating mode, which always creates DVD-Video compatible discs. Whereas other formats have different physical disc types or different logical formats (methods used to record video on a disc) to offer the user a flexible recording experience, DVD+R/+RW offers the user flexibility and a rich feature set without sacrificing compatibility. With DVD+R/+RW, there is no need to buy expensive dedicated players to allow playback of recorded discs, as the recordings can be played on the majority of the 100s of millions of DVD-Video players and DVD-ROM drives available today. Furthermore, also on a physical level DVD+RW and DVD+R are closer to the DVD format than competing formats, as they do not need special "pre-pits" on the disc that could affect compatibility. All in all, DVD+R/+RW is the most real recordable DVD format around.

    Q: Do DVD+RW discs need to be finalized?

    A: Unlike competing formats, a DVD+RW disc does not require long finalization times. A DVD+RW disc recorded on a DVD+RW video recorder can immediately be played on a DVD-Video player, without the need for finalization. A disc can be edited, or new recordings can be added, without needing to erase completely the existing video recording.
    Also refer to glossary: Finalization

    Q: Can I reclaim the space on a disc from the part of a recording that I do not want to keep?

    A: Yes. With other DVD-Video compatible formats, you have to erase the full recording if you want to re-use the space. With DVD+RW, you simply start recording from any point, only overwriting unwanted parts.
    Also refer to glossary: Partial Overwrite

    Q: Does DVD+RW allow me to cut out interruptions from a TV-recording?

    A: Yes. Unlike other formats, which offer no editing functionality on DVD-Video compatible recordings, you can quickly and easily cut out unwanted parts of a recording, and thereby create a linear play list. A normal DVD player will even play a play list made on a DVD+RW disc!
    Also refer to glossary: Favourite Scene Selection

    Q: Can I use a DVD+RW disc to directly store my data files, or do I always need to use a burning program?

    A: DVD+RW is the only rewritable DVD format that supports the Mt. Rainier or EasyWrite system. With an EasyWrite enabled DVD+RW drive and by using the forthcoming version of Microsoft Windows, Longhorn, you can directly store your data on a DVD+RW disc. Just as you would using a floppy diskette, although a DVD+RW offers you about 3,000 times the storage capacity! Mt. Rainier performs important tasks in hardware instead of software (like background formatting and handling of defect management) resulting in a very robust system.
    Also refer to glossary: Mt. Rainier

    Q: Can I edit a disc recorded on my DVD+RW video recorder on a PC?

    A: Yes. DVD+RW is the only rewritable DVD format that offers you this true convergence between consumer electronics and PC equipment. Discs recorded on a stand-alone DVD+RW video recorder can be edited on a PC by any software package that supports the +VR functionality, and vice versa. Completely in line with the DVD+RW philosophy, the disc remains compatible with normal DVD-Video players throughout all stages.
    Also refer to glossary: +VR functionality

    Q: Does DVD+RW support double sided or 8 centimetre discs?

    A: Yes, the DVD+R and DVD+RW formats allow for double sided or smaller sized (8 cm or 3") discs. Contact the media manufacturers directly for specific product details.

    Q: What is the DVD+RW Alliance standpoint on digital piracy?

    A: The DVD+RW format will not copy content with CSS protection. As a group, the DVD+RW Alliance fully supports the legal use of copy write content around the world and we recognize the rights of content owners. DVD+RW copy protection meets the requirements of industry accepted copy protection technologies.

    http://www.dvdrw.com/why/faq.htm

    John Eckart, Jun 3, 2005
  5. Pat

    unclejr Guest

    Like Fox News -- fair and balanced reporting of the facts, right? ;-)

    I believe that the following site is far less biased than the +RW site:

    <http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3>

    "Very roughly, DVD-R and DVD+R discs work in about 85% of existing
    drives and players, while DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs work in around 80%.
    The situation is steadily improving. In another few years compatibility
    problems will mostly be behind us,..."

    -Junior

    unclejr, Jun 3, 2005
  6. Pat

    Biz Guest

    +R are supposed to be more compatible than -R.

    Are you referring to DL media? IF -R DL just came out, how would anyone
    know, and please post a URL to a credible site if you have found this is
    true? If you are just referring to SL media, which this post wasnt really
    about, -R is reported as supported in a higher percentage of players at
    www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

    Biz, Jun 3, 2005
  7. Pat

    Large Farva Guest

    '+R are supposed to be more compatible than -R.'

    Not even close.

    Large Farva, Jun 3, 2005
  8. Pat

    Jeff Rife Guest

    John Eckart () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    None of this applies to dual-layer recordables, which is *horrible* WRT
    compatibility for both +R and -R formats.

    Jeff Rife, Jun 3, 2005
  9. Pat

    Don Guest

    Up until recently the information I found was that -R was an older format
    and considered to be more compatible with the largest number of players
    (especially older ones). Recently I read about using a DVD recorder that
    uses "bit setting" with a +R disc to create what appears to be the same (or
    at least in the eyes of the player) as commercial DVD-Video discs. I've only
    tested this on my old JVC player that is about 7-10 years old. According to
    info on the web, my player is NOT supposed to be able to read any type of
    DVD recordable formats. This was true up until I hacked my Pioneer DVR-108
    firmware to a Piodata. Only +R media supports bit setting. Sure enough a +R
    disc using bit setting plays in my old JVC. This was VERY important to me
    because I am looking at distributing some video files to other people, and
    up until now there seemed to be no good way to insure they would be able to
    play, other than to say use a newer DVD player. Most of the newer (and
    cheap) DVD players seem to play most anything you throw at them, I would
    guess this will only get better.

    Just my 2ยข worth

    Don

    Don, Jun 3, 2005
  10. Pat

    Anoni Moose Guest

    Curious in the details. First, does "current DVD players and drives"
    mean
    ones that are now on the market, as opposed to ones that are now owned
    by somebody? Secondly, the "....and drives" clause. I'd expect that
    the
    intent of most DVDs are to play it on players, or at least a lot more
    often
    than played on drives. So.. "equating" drive compatibility with player
    compatiblity when creating "statistics" is skewing things one way or
    the
    other. The stat of most interest would be compatibility of formats vs
    players currently being used by people. Not drives, and not just new
    players.

    IMO anyway.

    Mike

    Anoni Moose, Jun 3, 2005
  11. The +R camp has been trying to spread this lie for years now..
    Fortunately, no one in these news groups are believing it, now matter
    how many times they lie on this fact.

    -Richard

    Richard Ragon, Jun 4, 2005
  12. Pat

    Philip Guest

    Labs found that DVD+R is compatible with over 95% of current DVD players and
    drives, which makes it the most compatible of all recordable DVD formats.
    Hi

    The research is several years old now, and even when released was flawed.
    The sole criteria on whether a DVD was compatible was based on if the player
    booted to the menu screen (a simple menu at that). Because +R used a
    DVD-ROM flag in the test most DVD Players managed to struggle to the menu
    with +R, but then failed to play the video or had problems playing it, i.e.
    skipping or freezing. Unless you only wanted to watch a static menu then
    the 95% was correct out of the players they tested at the time! The
    research had an undisclosed sponsor (it was Philips) and was designed to
    show +R/+RW with a better headline compatibility figure, but unless you
    requested the actual test report, you would not know how the pass rate was
    calculated and so it wasn't a "real-world" benchmark. To this day it still
    misleads people like the original poster, and the site they got the
    information from was solely set up to promote +RW/+R, so maybe they
    shouldn't be too surprised to read such good things about +RW/+R but should
    question whether the information is correct or relevant!

    I think most people have learnt now that while there will always be players
    that refuse to play one format over the other, overall however,
    compatibility for DVD-R and +R are as good as the same.

    Regards

    Philip

    Philip, Jun 5, 2005
  13. Pat

    RAZ Guest

    Maybe the DLs are more compatible, but certainly not regular +Rs. Try
    playing a +R in a Toshiba DVD player. My SD-1750, 2200 & 6200 spit out
    +Rs with absolute disdain.

    Roberta

    RAZ, Jun 15, 2005
  14. Pat

    RAZ Guest

    AGREED!! Try playing +Rs in Toshiba players! I have 3 of them that gag
    on +Rs.

    roberta

    RAZ, Jun 15, 2005