LOOKING UP HOSTNAME .. takes forever.........

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by David_nj_7, Dec 18, 2005.

  1. David_nj_7

    David_nj_7 Guest

    I have a standard DIAL-UP connection and of course I am looking for
    anything that will somehow speed up the browsing experience.

    Many times I will go to one of my favorites and often, after I click on
    one of these favorites it will say .... ie LOOKING UP GOOGLE or
    LOOKING UP CNN.COm or whatever.... Sometimes, this can last anywhere
    from 10 to 15 seconds. Once it "finds" the site... it loads in fairly
    quickly.

    Is there a way to avoid this LOOKING UP" process? Perhaps if I saved
    the IP addy as a favorite instead of the regular address. And...
    since I go to these sites all the time why does there even have to be a
    LOOKING UP process at all?

    I remember some suggested in one of the forums awhile back a way to
    either get around this or even avoid this process that can really slow
    down the already slow dial-up experience.

    Any ideas or suggestions?

    Thanks

    DAVID

    David_nj_7, Dec 18, 2005

  2. David_nj_7

    Toolman Tim Guest

    That "lookup" process is essential in that computers and web sites do not
    have names in the same sense as we think of them. They have numbers - IP
    addresses. But we aren't typically going to be able to remember numbers like
    207.68.183.32 or such. So DNS servers keep track of the URL names
    (www.msn.com, etc.) and cross reference to the correct server by it's
    number.

    That's the simple explaination of the lookup process. Your ISP on dial-up
    typically assigns your computer an IP address and sets your PC to use their
    DNS server information. If you are experiencing serious delays, you might
    want to contact them.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 18, 2005

  3. David_nj_7

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Why not? I am using dial-up and entered www.microsoft.com in the address
    line of IE and of course, it had to do the DNS Lookup at the ISP to get the
    IP. Once I got that IP by using Active Ports (free) that told me what the IP
    was, I moved to another site and enter Http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and the DNS
    look-up for the IP was by passed it looked like. So, you could save that IP
    as a Favorite and give it a Name and it should hold that IP just like it
    holds a Favorite by IP that points to the Device IP of my firewall
    appliance's admin login screen that is accessed through the browser.

    You should also be able to take that IP and www.microsoft.com and make a
    Host file entry and the O/S is going to go to the Host file and get the IP
    first and avoid going to the ISP's DNS server to look-up the IP when a URL
    such as www.microsoft.com is used by the browser. That's what the Host file
    is about. However, some people use the Host file with 127.0.0.1 the Loop
    Back and www.microsoft.com entry to block access to a site.

    You can give either one a try and see how it works for you.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 18, 2005
  4. David_nj_7

    Noel Paton Guest

    Noel Paton, Dec 18, 2005
  5. David_nj_7

    Tony Bronze Guest

    You can use a DNS caching program. I used to use Fastnet99 with windows
    98 but as far I can remember, it didn't work with XP. I've found another
    DNS caching programme which looks like it is based on Bind 9 - thought I
    should download it and test it first. Its called TreeWalk and is free from
    http://www.ntcanuck.com/faq.htm. PC I installed it on is windows XP with
    SP2. If you have XP and SP2 you need to download a MS update first from
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020, reboot and
    then install Treewalk. Also read the readme file in Docs about setting it
    up with a dialup connection.

    I'm on a network with broadband connection and it seems to be quicker
    (probably saves having to connect to the DNS server through the network,
    router and back again). Once you have visited a site, it caches the DNS so
    next time you visit, the DNS details are called locally instead of
    connecting to remote DNS server.

    I used to notice a slight delay when clicking on a URL before the page
    would open but now it works instantly.

    HTH

    Tony Bronze, Dec 18, 2005
  6. David_nj_7

    Auk-Tard Guest

    Get the IP addy's of your favorite sites and enter them along with the
    canonical name in your hosts file. This used to be the only way to resolve
    names in the days prior to DNS server support.

    Auk-Tard, Dec 19, 2005