    firmware upgrade or other type of software add-on.

    Please contact me via email (david_hakala at comcast dot net) if you
    have what I'm seeking or know who does.

    NoPoliticalCalls, Oct 20, 2006

  2. I know I've requested that feature from them. It must be easy to do.
    I'm guessing they don't want to deal with an increase in support calls
    due to people goofing up block lists, blaming block lists for missed
    calls, or whatever else they can come up with.

    You could always install a free IP PBX at home. :) Cheaper than $100
    but obviously takes far more resources and a large learning curve.

    Thanks,
    Scott

    Scott Moseman, Oct 20, 2006

  3. Does VONAGE allow you to use your own equipment? When I last looked
    the answer was "no way".
    I use Asterisk and a connection via www.teliax.com, and am no longer
    plagued by all the dirtbags calling up during dinnner time trying to
    sell crap, beg for donations etc. The trick I found that works the
    best is to set asterisk up to ask for the extension number to forward
    the call to or press "For Fred press 1, for Ethyl press 2, if you are
    a telemarketer press 3"). The obvious happens when the press 3 - they
    get a short message and the call is forcefully terminated. So far
    most of the telemarketer calls seem to hit the timeout because their
    automatic call device isn't smart enough to parse the spoken
    announcement and then press the correct number.

    It is a pain in the neck to learn the quaint regexp-based language
    asterisk is programmed in. If that isn't one's cup of tea one can
    probably get the same functionality from the Linksys consumer PBX
    product (SPA-9000), but it is still ~$400 mailorder.
    This looks like some analog phone thing. Why would you want to do
    that to a nice digital phone call?

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Oct 20, 2006
  4. NoPoliticalCalls

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    Any idea if they'll let me spoof my cell phone's number on outbound CID?

    They don't offer inbound calls in my area, but that doesn't really
    bother me, my cell has unlimited incoming anyway, but I want to be able
    to dial out "from" a local number.

    DevilsPGD, Oct 20, 2006
  5. Who do you think owns the router, the cordless phone, and the headset?
    I work as a tech journalist, so the hard way is my money. Maybe someone
    will pay me enough for a review of asterisk to buy a SPA-9000. Or
    perhaps Linksys will send me a review copy; I know Cisco's people quite
    well. :)
    Because of the not-so-nice digital phone calls it blocks, of course.
    Besides, I've read favorable reports from several Vonage users about
    this gizmo.

    NoPoliticalCalls, Oct 20, 2006
  6. It is probably best to touch base with Teliax support to see if this
    is available on new signups. I have no problem using one of 3
    different outgoing CLID's with them, but I can also see how this may
    eventually be an issue for the whole industry. The whole outgoing
    CLID under user control is a sticky wicket...
    I recall reading on the customer's-only part of the site that they are
    taking requests for new service areas to move into. While is a long
    shot, it might also be something they might go for.
    Right next to the walk?

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Oct 20, 2006
  7. Do you have programming control over with SIP gateway? Last time I
    looked into it Vonage was one of the biggest pains in the neck to work
    with. The locked up the SIP gateway so you had no say over the
    features "your" gateway provided and they totally flat-out forbade you
    from using anything but their gateway. Has this changed?
    Well, if money is tight, asterisk is the way to go. Total cost $0,
    assuming you already own a spare PC.
    The way I see it, the only reason for going to VOIP is to get better
    sound, having a more featureful phone, and more convenience (such as
    first-generation digital transcripts of your phone calls). Folks that
    convert the nice digital voip signal to a ratty 2-wire pots line and
    then attach other low-fidelity POTS phones and accessories are getting
    the worst of both worlds. They get the insanely high delay of voip
    with the awful sound of their POTS phone.

    Does Vonage really save folks enough compared to a POTS 3cent/min long
    distance suppliers to make it worth the hassle?

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Oct 20, 2006
  8. NoPoliticalCalls

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    Nope.

    DevilsPGD, Oct 21, 2006
  9. I gather that I don't. Fortunately, I don't need it to use the gizmo in
    question.

    Do you know of a software product that will block private, anonymous,
    and wildcard-specified calling numbers? I believe that was my question.

    NoPoliticalCalls, Oct 21, 2006
  10. NoPoliticalCalls

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <>
    Short answer, on Vonage you can't -- You can't block anything because
    you don't have that level of access to the gizmo in question.

    DevilsPGD, Oct 21, 2006
  11. NoPoliticalCalls

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    It's actually very solvable -- Fines measured in the millions of
    dollars, per violation, to be split between the AG's office which
    handles the case, the victim of the number that was spoofed, and the
    recipient of the call.

    As for who pays, it's a hot potato game. If I have a complaint, it goes
    to my telco. If my telco can identify where the call came from (direct
    customer, other telco) then they point the finger, if not, they pay.

    That, combined with a FCC+CRTC mandated "block overseas calls" and
    "block overseas calls with a 'local' DID" would solve it.

    I bet you'd find that hunting down the originator isn't so hard after
    all. It neatly avoids any issues where legitimate users want to spoof
    -- As the authorized user (owner?) of my own cell phone number, I'd
    never complain that I spoofed it since doing so would result in myself
    paying a multi-million dollar fine, partially to myself but the rest to
    other assets.
    I'd not have much use for a DID in my area anyway, I'll stick with my
    cell (unlimited incoming you see), just a toll free (if the price is
    right... I have 4.9c/minute with no monthly fee and no payphone fee
    right now)

    I do have use for a DID which is a local call from my office, likely
    just call forwarded to my cell would be sufficient, although having an
    actual desk phone would be nice.

    What I really need though, is the ability to make outbound calls to
    local numbers appearing as a local (ever try to order a pizza with an
    out-of-province phone number?)

    DevilsPGD, Oct 21, 2006
  12. Sure either Asterisk, SER/OpenSER (sip express router), sipX, YATE,
    Bayonne, OpenPBX or FreeSwitch. But the catch is you have to have
    control of your end of the sip connection otherwise there is nothing
    you can do.

    BTW: A good site for getting up to speed on VOIP is:

    http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php

    It has lots of vendor-neutral info presented in "wiki" form.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Oct 21, 2006
  13. The same could be argued would solve spam. I just don't see the
    government all that concerned though. (I would be happy if they did,
    I just don't see any of them show much enthusiasm for investigating
    crimes that total to less than a million bucks.)

    My favorite hack to solve illegitimate spoofing is technological.
    Each phone number one gets assigned comes with a cryptographically
    signed signing certificate. One then uses that certificate to sign
    the SIP header. The other side can check that the signature and the
    upstream signature is legit and the certificate matches the phone
    number that they certificate is issued for.

    Come to think of it, this isn't actually much different from secure
    SIP/RTP calls. Too bad most hardware and software doesn't do secure
    calls.
    Now that you mention it, I think I probably do -- inadvertently. The
    desk phones both have free DIDS from Ipkall so outgoing calls from
    them are setup to force that DID number to show. Those DID are in the
    360 area code (which is 500 miles to the north of me). No wonder the
    pizza place acts funny.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Oct 21, 2006
  14. I see. That explains why the Privacy Corps folks are able to get $120
    for their Callier ID Manager.

    NoPoliticalCalls, Oct 23, 2006