    to go in by serial port.

    I would greatly appreciate referrals to terminal server products that have
    the capability I am describing.

    CHANGE USERNAME TO westes, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Cisco terminal servers (routers with lots of async lines) can be
    configured to do this. You set them up to connect a port to a serial
    line like this;

    line 1 5
    transport input telnet
    no exec
    login
    flowcontrol hardware
    parity none
    databits 8
    speed 9600
    stopbits 1

    and then alias an IP to those ports like this;

    ip alias 192.168.3.101 2001
    ip alias 192.168.3.102 2002
    ip alias 192.168.3.103 2003
    ip alias 192.168.3.104 2004
    ip alias 192.168.3.105 2005

    P.

    Peter Radcliffe, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Can you specify a port number as well as an IP address, e.g. 192.168.3.45
    Port 2001 or do you need individual IP addresses?

    Patrick Kelly, Dec 30, 2003
  4. CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

    Greg Andrews Guest

    Can't you configure the management software to use different TCP
    port numbers in the telnet command? Many terminal servers will
    connect you to a different port for each TCP port number. (e.g.
    TCP port 5001 = serial port 1, TCP port 5002 = serial port 2, etc.)
    Fewer terminal servers will assign a unique IP address to each
    serial port.

    -Greg

    Greg Andrews, Dec 31, 2003
  5. CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

    Dickson Law Guest

    cyclades-TS series

    www.cyclades.com

    dickson

    Dickson Law, Dec 31, 2003
  6. Bah! Cisco has done this thing for over 15 years! :cool:

    You can access individual serial ports as a specific IP address with no port
    (eg default port 23) or by their default port numbers (20xx). You can also
    group ports in a rotary. What exactly do you want to do?

    Phillip Remaker, Dec 31, 2003
  7. But the Cisco will. The "ip alias" command is your friend :cool:

    Phillip Remaker, Dec 31, 2003
  8. What are some specific Cisco model numbers that would include an option for
    a single RJ-45 for ethernet and at least eight asynch serial ports?

    I noted the 2509 through 2512 series, but they all seem to use the old-style
    AUI ethernet which I would rather not deal with.

    CHANGE USERNAME TO westes, Dec 31, 2003
  9. Any of the later modular routers (26xx, 36xx, 37xx, etc) with at least
    one 32 port async NM card. They have built in 10/100 ether with RJ-45
    ports.

    We use 2621XMs with one card in low density areas and 3725s with
    multiple cards in high density areas but we still have some older
    style 2511s in older locations.

    Exactly what router you want from that range depend on how many lines
    you need, how many ethernet ports you need, etc. You may be able to
    get away with a 2601 plus async card.

    P.

    Peter Radcliffe, Dec 31, 2003

  10. Those are all old EOL devices as well. Now-a-days, you would be
    looking at some of the modular line, with an add in card.

    Something like the 2610XM with the NM-8A/S or NM-16A or NM-32A is what
    you would be looking for. You could probably get pretty extreme
    density on a 3745 with several NM-32A cards in it, although its not
    exactly cheap.

    Doug McIntyre, Dec 31, 2003
  11. CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

    Guest Guest

    An STS-10x : >
    An AUI - RJ45 transceiver is all you need..

    Guest, Jan 1, 2004
  12. CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

    The Wattie's Guest

    The Wattie's, Jan 21, 2004
  13. CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

    Mike Guest

    Mr. Wattie, you're not suggesting a MOXA ? Great device, though.
    (I thought they were our own little secret !)
    Good to see you here, mang.
    Give me a call or drop me a line

    Mike, Jan 23, 2004
  14. CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

    MC Guest

    I have used the newer Lantronix console servers, they can do that and also
    are sun certified if also connecting to sun boxes.

    MC, Jan 23, 2004
  15. CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

    Tracy Guest

    If you are looking for a stand alone cost effective device go with
    Lantronix.

    If you have a spare PC and a couple of bucks there are lots of
    alternatives.
    I have a 200 mhz junker, we bought an 8 port pci card that connects to
    a mutli-serial port device. We plug the com ports from the PBX,
    Meridian Mail, ACD MAX and CCR into these ports.

    Then we use a software package that does what you are looking for, it
    acts as a proxy between the serial ports and telnet.

    We set up the com device and it defaults to ports 3 through 10.
    Then we configure the server software to run those ports as telnet and
    use the PC's IP and tcp port 2001 through 2008.

    The big thing that is missing from the server software we chose is
    security, if you close the telnet and leave the device logged on (like
    the pbx or meridian mail) someone coming up behind you on those
    telnets ports is in.

    One cool thing about the server software we chose, each serial port
    can be configured as a poor mans multi-user, it can be one person
    only, or first one connected can read/write and others can watch, or
    all can read/write to the same port/session. Works great when we are
    telecommuting and showing someone else how to do something in the
    switch when they are located somewhere else. I am always typing over
    fat fingered admins correcting their mistakes and getting them back on
    track in the switch.

    We are writing our own telnet to serial converter now, we already have
    software we have built that will parse the switch database into
    MS-Access and allows for scripting via Visual Basic over serial or
    telnet (MUCH better than lowly procomm plus scripting as your scripts
    are driven by data and data queries.)

    With a donated PC the hardware and software to serve 8 serial ports
    via telnet will run under 600.00.

    If you want, there is a cheaper way, there is a software package from
    North Africa that used to be free, they sold it to someone and now
    they want a couple of bucks for it. I have a copy of the free version
    and it can be used in a commercial app without license violation. The
    only difference I saw between these two versions is the new guy
    snazzed up the GUI but overall made no other changes. He claimed the
    new one supports mutli-com ports, but I found the free one does two if
    you copy it into different directories so each has it's own INI file
    and you hack the files and manaully enter the com port info in them.

    The free South African software is called IPCOM server, but you won't
    find the free version anywhere, but I can legally give it to you
    according to the license, if you want to play with that approach let
    me know and I'll put it on a webserver somewhere that it can be
    donwloaded from.

    I also have written software that will allow you to get to your serial
    port via a web browser, basically, you donate a junk pc, a 133 mhz
    will work, it will need an internet connection, internet explorer, and
    a serial port.

    I/O from the com port is relayed by the pc to the website of your
    choice as both ASP and text pages. Logging onto the website allows
    your to interact with the switch like you do from your console. It
    even allows parsing, we have had CDR and other messages and maint
    operations over the same port, and when dumped on the web site they
    are parsed into different windows (of course, I wouldn't recommend
    having CDR run over the main terminal all the time).

    This interaction is Near Real Time, unlike when you talk via console
    where ech character you type is sent as pressed, the website sends
    whatever you type once you press enter, but if you are looking for a
    way to get to your site from anywhere regardless of firewall rules
    this works. If the pc can surf the web then it has all the network
    rights needed to get the switch I/O on the web.

    I also have hacked Call Pilots web interface, we can now perform bulk
    changes to users mail boxes like changing all of them to autoplay or
    keeping the names in the switch, cdr billing system and call pilot in
    synch with a single data source.

    Also, if you are looking for a client for telnet, use hyperterminal,
    it is already installed on your Windows PC, it won't do VT220 though
    so you can't use it for Meridian Mail, UNLESS, you go to
    hyperterminal's website and download the PERSONAL edition, it has 220
    and 320 emulation, the catch is you are only supposed to install it on
    a PC that YOU own. wink wink, something in my eye...

    Tracy, Jan 28, 2004