    I'm trying to find a square root sign to use in a Power Point
    presentation. I can't seem to find one in the character map. I'm using
    Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    rfdjr1, Apr 10, 2005

  2. rfdjr1

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Apr 11, 2005

  3. It's there. it just looks like more of a check mark

    Dave McGuriman, Apr 11, 2005
  4. Try selecting Symbol or Terminal for the font.

    The Old Sourdough, Apr 11, 2005
  5. rfdjr1

    Kenny Guest

    Kenny, Apr 11, 2005
  6. rfdjr1

    rfdjr1 Guest

    Thanks I found it under Terminal for a font. But when I select then
    copy it, and try to paste it into a document, I get this

    A different symbol altogether. I don't know what the problem is.

    Also, how do I use this (U+221A) function? How do I type that in? I'm
    not familiar with that. I read it as a combination of keystrokes, but
    as soon as I type U, a U shows up in the document. Please excuse my
    stupidity here. It's just new to me. Thanks again for the help.

    rfdjr1, Apr 11, 2005
  7. rfdjr1

    °Mike° Guest

    Terminal font is no good. Choose Symbol font.
    Hold the ALT key and press (on the keypad) 0214 .

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Apr 11, 2005
  8. rfdjr1

    Keme Guest

    If you copy from another application (or any window not "rich text
    enabled") you copy the character code only. Different character sets
    have different encoding schemes, so pasting the character code into Word
    may well give a different character.

    If you want to show the character as such, insert it using the menu
    selection "Insert - symbol", select category "Math operators" and you'll
    probably see it. (It looks like a checkmark, as previously stated. The
    "overline" will be a format property of the element within the root
    symbol. Any but the simplest formulas will be hard to write this way.)

    If you want to write a formula with a square root (more likely, I
    guess), use the equation editor like Kenny said. His link shows you both
    how to install it (if it's not there), invoke it, and get you started
    (using is mostly self explanatory).

    Keme, Apr 11, 2005
  9. rfdjr1

    Joel Rubin Guest

    I have the left part (checkmark looking thing) in Charmap about a
    third of the way from the bottom in the font Lucida Sans Unicode.

    They also have the version with the numbers for cube root and fourth
    root.

    AFAIK, Lucida Sans Unicode is installed with XP and 2000 and probably
    other versions of Windows. Win 95/98/ME does not have support for the
    Unicode system so you might need something else.

    (Unicode is a two-byte character system [0-65535] so it includes
    things like the Greek, Hebrew, Arabic and Cyrillic alphabets, et alia)

    Joel Rubin, Apr 11, 2005
  10. rfdjr1

    Dave Lear Guest

    Start

    Run

    CHARMAP

    Select Arial as the font

    Row 49, column 17

    Select

    Copy

    Switch to PowerPoint and Edit, Paste

    Dave Lear, Apr 11, 2005
  11. rfdjr1

    theredone89

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0

    the 211A - is a hex number in order to make the new char you could open calculator write the hex code in hex than convert to dec and you will have a new code 8730 this code you will use with the alt key ALT+8730
    ... this code can be diffrent for diffrent fonts ... bbye !:weed:

    Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
    theredone89, Apr 22, 2009