    What is the best windows software available that can do this.

    Thank you.

    Bye.

    Anonymous, Feb 14, 2006

  2. Anonymous

    old jon Guest

    PCI File Recovery.
    www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

    If the files can be read, this will do them.
    BUT you will need to recover to another partition\drive.

    old jon, Feb 14, 2006

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Thank you. I had a look. For now however I am not looking for recovery
    software.That would probably be the next step but I know that the
    files cannot be recovered because the damage is too severe. I am
    looking for software that can scan a windows drive find damaged
    sectors or other things damaged and tell me which files are affected
    by the damage. OK, I can image that software that can do this can also
    do file recovery but it should not do ONLY file recovery like PCI File
    Recovery. I am also not intrested in deleted or lost files. I am just
    interested in damaged files. Still thank you for your reply.
    I hope there is software that can do something as specific as this.

    Anonymous, Feb 14, 2006
  4. Anonymous

    PC Guest

    Anon.

    From what I understand you want to know the names of the files that have
    sectors of data that have been 'damaged'.
    (scan a windows drive find damaged sectors or other things damaged and tell
    me which files are affected")
    To do this you need to be able to work 'back' from the damaged sector to the
    one before, then the sector before that etc until you end up at the FAT
    entry revealing the 'file name'. Nice idea but unfortunately there is a
    problem with this, as far as I know each sector records where the next
    sector is 'not' where the previous sector was. i.e. you can read 'forwards'
    but you can't read backwards.

    No doubt there is software about that will read a drives entire contents and
    recreate this backwards chain, however in your OP you said "damaged part can
    not be fixed" This implies there is unreadable sectors or sectors with
    scrambled data. In this case recreating the backwards chain is highly
    unlikely.

    My suggestion is to simply open each file in turn and those that won't open
    have 'damaged' sectors.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Feb 15, 2006