Looking for Single-Use alternative to ZoneAlarm

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Atreju, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    I am looking for a product to replace ZoneAlarm.
    All I need is something that detects outgoing connection attempts, and
    similar to ZA, can have an allow/block list.

    The reason I need this is because today for the 1,000th time, ZA
    locked up all my applications that were loaded. This happens every few
    days now. The moment I unload ZA, all my apps go back to normal.

    I have a Sonicwall so my network is quite secure from intrusion, I
    just need something to warn me about outgoing data connections.

    Parenthetically, I tried Sygate it completely crashed and gave me tons
    of illegal operations. I want something that works.

    Free would be preferable (8-o)

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Jan 14, 2005

  2. Atreju

    Trent SC Guest

    I am looking for a product to replace ZoneAlarm.
    Without knowing your system set-up, it sounds as though you have some
    fundamental problems going on with your machine. ZA and Sygate both have
    their detractors, but in the vast majority of cases they run quite happily
    on systems all over the world. If they didn't, both companies would be out
    of business. So, either there's some instability on your machine, or an
    unusual application is causing resource/software/system conflicts, or it's
    that time to think about reformatting.

    If you go into a bit more detail on what's been happening and what your
    set-up is, you might get some helpful advice here.

    Trent SC, Jan 14, 2005

  3. Atreju

    dadiOH Guest

    My wife was having problems with ZA, gave her...

    Kerio Personal Firewall
    Free
    http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

    For version 2.15
    http://www.kerio.com/dwn/kpf2-en-win.exe

    For home users, Kerio Personal Firewall 4 is available in two flavors -
    the full edition and the limited free edition.

    After installation, KPF works as the full edition for 30 days, after
    which it becomes the limited free edition.

    Limited free edition does not provide the content filtering capabilities
    such as blocking pop-up windows, ads, VB scripts, cookies, etc. and
    other extra features.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Jan 14, 2005
  4. Kerio Personal Firewall. Free.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 14, 2005
  5. Atreju

    elaich Guest

    What version? Some have reported problems with 5.6. I wasn't aware of any
    with previous versions.

    elaich, Jan 15, 2005
  6. Atreju

    Plato Guest

    Well, since two different firewall programs mess up your pc then the
    problem is not with the firewalls its something NOT related to them.

    Plato, Jan 15, 2005
  7. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    Nah, I have tried both applications on many different computers.

    I used to setup ZA for many people, but every day there's something
    else it is crashing.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Jan 23, 2005