Looking for Recommendations on LCD Flat Panel Monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rick, Feb 11, 2008.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I'm currently in the process of helping my dad get set up on the internet,
    this will mean all new equipment for him as he has nothing currently. I'm
    thinking of using this opportunity to upgrade my current monitor ... I'll
    give him my current one and upgrade mine.

    I currently have a 19" ViewSonic 19" flat panel LCD (about 1 1/2 years old)
    that I am quite happy with. The specs on this are 550:1 contrast ratio and
    8ms response time.

    As I look at what's currently available locally I see lots of 19" or 20"
    widescreen models available and generally the specs on these are either
    2000:1 or 2500:1 contrast ratio and 5 ms response time. All in the rough
    neighbourhood of $200 more or less.

    However, there is an LG model, that I saw at the FutureShop website, that
    has specs of 3000:1 contrast ratio and 2 ms response time.

    My question ... considering the specs on my current monitor, am I going to
    see a difference between 5 ms and 2 ms response times? Will I see a
    difference between 2000:1 or 2500:1 contrast ratio vs the 3000:1 on the LG?

    I'm not a power user (no gaming or other video intensive tasks), mostly just
    internet browsing and watching downloaded videos. Not necessarily looking
    for brand name recommendations at this point, although your personal
    experiences (good or bad) are appreciated. Mostly just looking for a
    comparison on the specs right now.

    Rick, Feb 11, 2008

  2. Rick

    dadiOH Guest

    Can't help with specs but keep in mind that wide screen means you need
    a monitor diagonal about 125% that of a normal in order to get the
    same size image as on the normal. For example, if you have a 17"
    monitor with a 3:4 ratio you need a 21" widescreen monitor to get an
    imager as big as that on the 3:4.

    --

    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...