    I checked out the Olympus 820 but CNET didn't give it a very good review.

    Thanks,

    tom

    Tom, Dec 5, 2007

  2. Panasonic TZ3, pocketable, excellent zoom range, optical lens-based image
    stabilisation (the best type), Leica lens:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 5, 2007

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks for the recommendation and link. It's exactly what I want except for
    the lack of optical view finder.
    As an old time SLR photographer who is known to internally smirk at others
    trying to use LCD view finders
    in extremely bright situations I don't know if I can make do w/o an optical
    view finder. I'll check out the TZ3.

    Any recommedations for cameras w/ optical view finders? :)

    Tom

    Tom, Dec 6, 2007
  4. Tom wrote:
    []
    Tom.

    You'll find optical viewfinders are less popular today - partially because
    on a camera like the TZ3 with a 10:1 zoom, reproducing that zoom range in
    an optical finder would significantly increase size, weight and cost. You
    may find an EVF (electronic view-finder) which you can live with, but they
    are much less in resolution that an SLR viewfinder, and most useful as
    framing aids (rather than, say, setting the focus, or previewing
    depth-of-field).

    Certainly, when I have a camera with an EVF I do find myself using it 95%
    of the time in preference to the LCD. If you are someone who needs
    distance glasses, just look over the top of the glasses when using the LCD
    finder!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 6, 2007