Looking for new digital camera...suggestions/comments?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mobius, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. Mobius

    Mobius Guest

    Its been a few years (going on 5) since my last digital camera purchase
    (Olympus, a 3.2MP, think C3050 model or close to it) & I'm a bit more
    experienced now (not pro, but very decent & nearing higher level amature).
    I'd like to know a few people's oppinions on these cameras or which ones to
    get.

    I'm looking at two main different cameras.
    * Olympus Evolt 500 (the one with the lense kit that has 2 lenses) [Amazon
    shows "Evolt 500II", is this the kit with 2 lenses?]
    * Fujifilm Finepix S9000/9500 (from what I understand the only differences
    is model# just to controll production counts for export or local sales?)
    * (I've heard Nikon has a comparable one to the Fuji S9000?)

    I like the Olympus due to that it is a digital-SLR so I have lense options &
    am not stuck with the quality of the one on the camera. I dont like it
    because of that reason though, the lenses are quite expensive so I'd prefer
    for start to find lenses or a lense kit that has what I want.

    I like the Fuji due to a 10x optical zoom but no add-ons (from what I
    understand, maybe there is an adapter for this? lense filters or something?)

    Here is what I am looking for.
    * HIGH optical zoom (prefer 8x+)
    * I'd prefer at least 7MP
    * I'd like to have ability to take several pictures in a row WITHOUT
    increasing/decreasing brightness with each picture.
    * Add-on lense or lense filter ability would be nice (prefer not
    proprietary, more industry standard "one fits all" type...for example a PCI
    or USB connection doesn't require a specific device, any PCI or USB device
    can fit...I'd rather have something that "any lense attachment of this size
    fits, & I can get it anywhere")
    * ISO above 400 would be a plus
    * Ability to manually set Shutter speed, & ISO settings, flash strength,
    white balance
    * I'd prefer ability to use AA batteries, or at least buy an additional
    battery I can charge seperately
    * Good macro mode would be nice too

    I'd like to keep this under $1000, or for sure under $1200.

    I've been looking at buying from Amazon or Tigerdirect or some GOOD
    company...no sense in paying for new cost to buy a refurb-sold-as-new by a
    bad dealer or other such problems.

    Any help & input is appreciated.

    Mobius, Mar 20, 2006

  2. Mobius

    samuel Guest

    rec.photo.digital group

    samuel, Mar 20, 2006

  3. Mobius

    Mitch Guest

    Not enough info about how you intend to use it.
    Action? Darkness? Indoors? Portrait?

    All of these mean focusing (!) on different features.

    If you can't reduce it, look here:

    http://www.dpreview.com

    That's a really decent site for in-depth reviews, even though they
    haven't covered everything.

    Mitch, Mar 20, 2006
  4. Mobius

    leebotham Guest

    I just received my Finepix S9500 today - and it's gone STRAIGHT back.
    It arrived with a mark in the coating of the lens and, it feels cheap.
    Whilst I appreciate that most things nowadays are manufactured from a lot of
    the cheapest plastics possible - this feels it. Also - if you try shooting
    video - you can hear all the electronic noises of the camera (ie
    auto-exposure and zoom movement) as clear as day when playing back.

    IAlthough this is only my opinion, it certainly doesn't appear to live up to
    it's price tag and I'll be looking at a proper slr, maybe the Pentax *ist or
    similar, instead.

    On the plus side, the zoom IS excellent, although when using indoors, the
    camera constantly warns of possible image blur when in auto mode, due to the
    slow shutter speeds it prefers using.

    Lee.

    leebotham, Mar 20, 2006
  5. Good review. Just wondering, how does it do as far as delay from the
    time you press the button till the picture is taken? I get really ticked
    at some cameras for the delay.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 22, 2006
  6. Mobius

    Aardvark Guest

    I was watching a consumer programme on TV one night a while ago and they
    were comparing digital cameras. One of the tests they devised for the
    various cameras checked for this lag.

    They cut out an arrow from white card, made a hole in the middle and placed
    it on the turntable of a record deck. They then switched on the turntable
    and pointed the cameras individually at the arrow.

    When the arrow reached the place where it was pointing to the right, they
    clicked the shutter. Of course the lag was measured by what direction the
    arrow was pointing when the image was later viewed.

    Simple but very effective.

    Aardvark, Mar 22, 2006
  7. Mobius

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Some digital cameras have a two position 'take' button - often you cannot feel the
    first click, but it is what freezes the focus and that is what takes the time.
    So if you push FAST you'll get the "delay", but if you press slowly and
    deliberately you'll not notice it. Some cameras can disable the feature/gimmic.

    Rick Merrill, Mar 23, 2006