    few computers and I just want to delete certain data files and wipe
    the slack space on the rest of the drive before selling them. Any
    suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

    Zilbandy, Jun 11, 2005

  2. Zilbandy

    Andrew Wood Guest

    Andrew Wood, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Zilbandy

    Kevin Reiter Guest

    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

    Free & released under the GNU GPL

    Kevin Reiter, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Zilbandy

    PRoToCoL Guest

    PRoToCoL, Jun 11, 2005
  5. Zilbandy

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Interesting program - however, it doesn't appear to erase slack space
    AFAICT - does handle free space; however, that's not normally considered to
    be the same as slack space.

    Jim Byrd, Jun 11, 2005
  6. Zilbandy

    Jim Watt Guest

    The old DOS version I've used did and its too important a feature to
    have been dropped methinks.

    Jim Watt, Jun 11, 2005
  7. Zilbandy

    Guest Guest

    From the help file for version 5.7 of Eraser:

    It is relatively rare for the size of a file to be divisible by the
    partition cluster size, i.e., for the file to use completely all clusters it
    has allocated. Therefore, usually only a part of the last allocated cluster
    is used and the unused part of the last cluster (the cluster tip, or slack
    space) contains old and possibly secret data, which cannot be overwritten
    before the file that allocated the cluster has been removed.

    This problem is not only present when overwriting single files, but it also
    opens a potential security problem when overwriting unused disk space. If
    one overwrites only the free space available on a drive, the cluster tip
    area still remains untouched - this is why Eraser overwrites also cluster
    tips when overwriting unused disk space or single files.

    Also, if you check the options dialog box you will also see a check box for
    Alternate Data Streams.

    Have a nice day,
    Harvey Lange

    Guest, Jun 12, 2005
  8. Zilbandy

    Zilbandy Guest

    Thanks to all that replied. It looks like eraser is just what I
    wanted. I didn't realize it was going to take so long to 'erase' a
    drive, though. LOL Oh, it appears that it does wipe slack space if
    you want it too. This is great. :)

    Zilbandy, Jun 12, 2005
  9. Zilbandy

    Jim Byrd Guest