    Anything else out there that would focus closer, something like 3
    inches, and still be available used for about $50 or so ?

    Thanks

    nameless one, Dec 29, 2005

  2. Buy used.

    Richard Tomkins, Dec 29, 2005

  3. nameless one

    Paul Allen Guest

    My Oly C-700 focuses to 2.5" in macro mode. It's five-year-old
    technology that cost ~$600 new. You might find a used one on eBay
    for for a price you like. 2.1 Mpixels and a 10x zoom. Low-light
    performance sucks. It's got some CA at some settings, and really
    bad purple fringing around blown-out highlights. With controlled
    lighting, it could do fine making shots for the web.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Dec 29, 2005
  4. nameless one

    nameless one Guest

    <<My Oly C-700 focuses to 2.5" in macro mode. It's five-year-old
    technology that cost ~$600 new. You might find a used one on eBay
    for for a price you like. 2.1 Mpixels and a 10x zoom. Low-light
    performance sucks. It's got some CA at some settings, and really
    bad purple fringing around blown-out highlights. With controlled
    lighting, it could do fine making shots for the web.
    Thanks. I just checked, and found some Oly c-700's on eBay for $50 to
    $150 used. I'm going to make it one of my options. It's much better
    than the Kodak dc 215, for only a few bucks more.

    nameless one, Dec 30, 2005
  5. I have a 2.3mp Toshiba w/8m smart card I was thinking of selling. Still
    works as new... offers.

    Lost In Space/Woodchuck, Dec 30, 2005
  6. nameless one

    Bob Williams Guest

    The undisputed "King of Close Up" about4-5 years ago were the Nikon
    Coolpix 900 series (900, 950, 990 and 995)
    They were in a class by themselves at the time.
    See if any are available on e-bay.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Dec 30, 2005
  7. nameless one

    Paul Bartram Guest

    I'd second that, they are just made for eBay work! Not only is my 995
    brilliant in macro mode, the swivel design means you can shoot low or
    vertically when you need to avoid distracting backgrounds. The built-in
    flash is not the greatest (those things never are) but a Speedlight with
    Lumimax reflector solves that...

    Some eBay pictures are so bad you wonder why people bother...

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Dec 31, 2005
  8. nameless one

    Robert Strom Guest

    I third that. My coolpix cameras (most recent and still in use 990)
    are exceptional macro cameras. I also reccomend the wide angle
    accesory lens if you want close and wide... very dramatic. If you want
    a decent flash get the adaptor cord model? that lets you use hot shoe
    mount strobes with the camera. You might get lucky and find a whole
    kit including the flash bracket and cord together. I would sell you
    mine, but I still use it from time to time.
    Bert Strom

    Robert Strom, Dec 31, 2005
  9. nameless one

    nameless one Guest

    Thanks. I checked around on eBay and the going price for the 9xx series
    Coolpix is usually $225 . Some with problems for $50 to $100.

    These prices are too high for me, so I'm thinking, again, of opting for
    the Kodak dc 215. It has 2x optical, and these lens specs Lens
    Features :

    Optical Sensor Type: CCD
    Maximum Focal Length: 58 mm
    Minimum Focal Length: 29 mm
    Display: LCD display - TFT active matrix - 1.8" - color

    Would this Kodak DC 215 be acceptable for closeups for eBay? I read
    somewhere that 8 inches is the closest it can focus. I could focus from
    8 inches away, then use the digital zoom to get closer? And crop the
    pic later, if necessary?

    Thanks

    nameless one, Dec 31, 2005
  10. nameless one

    DHB Guest

    The Kodak DC215 may not be what you expect. It is a "fixed
    focus" or "hyper focal" camera. Meaning it has no "auto focus", it
    relies on it's very wide DOF Depth Of Field to render most things in
    acceptable focus.

    Depending on "your" needs this can be a good or a bad thing.

    This was my 1st digital camera & I still have it, use it for
    certain things & like it. Actually I purchased a 2nd 1 off ebay
    recently because I want to try to remove it's IR block filter to make
    it more sensitive to NIR for daytime Near IR photography. It can take
    1/2 second long pictures with a HOYA R72 NIR filter if you cover it's
    light sensor (not TTL, it's separate) into thinking it's dark thus
    forcing it to it's maximum exposure 1/2 second. The manual
    illustrates the location of the light sensor near the lens but the
    manual points to the wrong 1, as I soon realized.

    Very nice pictures can be had @ this speed but a tripod & use
    of the self timer are both needed. If I am lucky & manage to remove
    the IR block filter, I hope it may than be fast enough to make
    handheld NIR photography possible!

    Worst case situation is that it does not survive the
    procedure, in which case I will have spare parts for my original if
    ever needed.

    Here's a brief review of it:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/dc215.html

    Best of luck, I hope this helps you or others.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Dec 31, 2005
  11. nameless one

    Splibbilla Guest

    if you've seen one photo of a used kidney, you've seen them all?

    Splibbilla, Jan 1, 2006
  12. nameless one

    Paul Bartram Guest

    Huh?

    There's only ever been one auction for a human kidney (in 1999) which was
    cancelled by eBay admin. There was no picture. I'm in need of a kidney
    transplant as it happens, so I live in hope there'll be another on offer
    soon!

    Seriously though, some pictures accompanying auctions are so poor they put
    you off bidding. If you can't get a better shot, it's better just to leave
    it off altogether.

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Jan 2, 2006