looking for camera that i dont think exists

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rob, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    I'm looking to replace my wife's Canon G1 and am trying to find the right
    camera for her.

    Things she loves:
    The LCD on the flipout/swivel (this is a must have item for her)
    Remote control

    Things she hates:
    Too big, doesn't keep it with her because of that
    3x zoom is WAY too low, would like at least a 10x
    Slow to power on
    Slow in between taking pictures

    I originally bought this camera back in '99 because she had a 35mm and had
    taken some photography
    classes, so I thought she'd grow into it. All she uses is automatic, so I
    guess even something
    fairly basic is OK. All the cameras I've found with decent zooms appear to
    be about the
    same size as the G1 and none of them have Canon's flip out LCD.
    dpreview.com feature search
    didn't find me any results that appeared to be small body cameras, their
    "compact" type seemed
    to be about the same size as the G1. Perhaps that's not the case?

    Rob, Feb 24, 2005

  2. Rob

    Larry Guest

    If you want the long zoom the camera HAS to have some size.

    There has to be room for the optics. I know of no camera with a zoom more
    than 4x that will fit in apocket comforably.

    Larry, Feb 24, 2005

  3. You can try the new Canon G6 - it's got the swivel LCD and is smaller
    than the first five G-series cameras.

    Also, the Canon A95 is a little small and has similar features, but the
    image quality isn't as high.

    I'm sure Nikon and others have comparable models - go look on
    dPreview.com and see what catches you eye.

    Brian C. Baird, Feb 24, 2005
  4. Rob

    Tony M Guest

    Ricoh Caplio R1 and R1v both have 4.8 zoom in a 25mm x 50mm x 100mm body
    - easily pocket sized (its where mine lives!)

    Tony M

    Tony M, Feb 24, 2005
  5. Rob

    cambium Guest

    It's an old camera, but the Olympus UZ2100 has everthing but the flip out
    lcd. It is also a little bulky, but you have to accept that if you need the
    long telephoto.

    The new Canon S1 SI is lighter, bigger sensor and probably better in lots of
    other ways.

    cambium, Feb 24, 2005
  6. Rob

    [BnH] Guest

    Out of my head ... Olympus , new Canon range, Panasonic

    =bob=

    [BnH], Feb 24, 2005
  7. she needs more on the close side or far side (heh heh) of zoom?

    new cameras are so much better than 1999's :)

    she could try some models at store displays.

    imo, try for:

    good pic qulaity (reviewed, tested)

    and "AF" = "assist illuminator "
    or whatever is the name for teh light which helps autofocus work correctly. many autofocus
    cameras won't work when the light is hardly dim at all.

    small cameras need tripods to steady (and the "Continuous" = sequence mode), so i don't
    find samll an advantage (imo)

    acm200noAddie, Feb 25, 2005
  8. Rob

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Pentax Optio 750Z. Read up:
    <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax750z/>

    That link also has a comparison review of four other similar cameras.

    Paul Mitchum, Feb 25, 2005
  9. Rob

    David Chien Guest

    Maybe that new Kodak with swivel LCD?

    Besides that, keep in mind that if megapixels goes up a lot (eg. 7MP
    digicam), you can do digital zoom (adds to optical zoom) and get the
    same 10x zoom range with a nice image quality w/o worry.

    David Chien, Feb 25, 2005
  10. Rob

    JPS Guest

    In message <cvo0r2$afa$>,
    That depends a lot on the noise levels and the quality of the lens; most
    7MP non-DSLR cameras don't have the cleanest pixels at ISO 400 or even
    200, and you don't want to be making them too big of a fraction of your
    image. The final size of display is the real issue; digital zoom will
    work great for web-images smaller than the window, but forget about
    large prints, unless the noise and lack of detail serves the nature of
    the image.

    JPS, Feb 25, 2005