  1. Hey, and you were the OP. Great. Sometimes this Usenet thing works
    really well and seems worth the effort. :)

    Enjoy a cleaner Usenet!

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 5, 2008

  2. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    I just tried filtering on "Message-ID:*googlegroups.com" and it didn't
    work. Or maybe it only partially worked, I'm not sure. I changed it to
    "Message-ID:*googlegroups*" and that took care of it.

    Bob

    zxcvbob, Jan 5, 2008

  3. Would you do a quick check? I'd appreciate it. Add an asterisk to that
    first try:

    * drop Message-ID:*googlegroups.com*

    Does that work? That would allow the ">" that the MID ends with.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 6, 2008
  4. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Yes, that works. (filtering on the MID seems *slower* than filtering on
    the path, but maybe that's my imagination)

    Bob

    zxcvbob, Jan 6, 2008
  5. zxcvbob

    G. Morgan Guest

    It does do regexes, but it has to be specified:

    Edit -> Configuration -> <General Tab> -> Tick "Enable Regular
    Expressions"

    G. Morgan, Jan 6, 2008
  6. It is the latter.

    Thanks for checking that trailing wildcard.

    And happy Groper-less Usenetting.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 6, 2008
  7. zxcvbob

    G. Morgan Guest

    Mine is:

    24hoursupport.helpdesk drop Message-ID:*@*.googlegroups.com

    I don't drop Googlers from some groups I read, so the beginning
    wildcard won't be good for me.

    Also good for getting rid of sporge:

    #Kill messages posted to 3 or more NG's
    * drop Xref:*:*:*

    G. Morgan, Jan 6, 2008
  8. Thanks, G. I'll keep it simple but I appreciate that note. I think most
    of the people for whom the UIP is useful should be given simple, and I've
    tried to keep things that way; after all, if they were used to filtering
    they wouldn't need that help -- this isn't rocket surgery, after all.

    Regards.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 6, 2008
  9. Why look clear back to the @? You know there'll be one in the MID; you
    know that it will be before the domain; you know that it's irrelevant.
    I give no quarter. Not-killing-them-all encourages the use of GG for
    posting, and I shall not do that. Too bad for the few clued ones; lie
    with dogs, wake up with fleas.
    There's a slight drawback to that, in that groups included in the
    crosspost that aren't carried by the server you're using won't show up in
    Xref and that will pooch your colon-count trigger. The alternative is to
    count commas in Newsgroups -- but that's expensive, because Newsgroups
    isn't in the overview.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 6, 2008
  10. zxcvbob

    Chris Lael Guest

    I think you can just rename it from .exe to .zip, then unzip it.

    Chris Lael, Jan 6, 2008
  11. That might be it. I remember it was that kinda simple, anyway.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 6, 2008
  12. zxcvbob

    G. Morgan Guest

    Good point. I just went with the first thing I got to work. I forgot
    why I did it that way, it had something to do with the way I thought
    the MID's worked with GG.

    There is one guy I like to read in one NG actually. I suppose I could
    concoct something using scoring in that NG, but GG's are not nearly as
    bad a problem over there.

    Another good point. Thanks for the tip!

    G. Morgan, Jan 7, 2008
  13. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    FYI, I just found a google spam that did *not* have googlegroups.com in
    the MID. Message-ID: <>

    I'm going back to filtering on the Path header. (I also filter on
    References so if someone replies to a google post I don't see that
    either. I know it won't work for when someone replies to a google post
    with a forged MID, but it's good enough)

    Bob

    zxcvbob, Jan 7, 2008
  14. You could have a universal kill on them, but in that group have one entry
    for him that appears higher in your score file whitelists him. I
    know how to do that with some news clients; I don't know how to do that
    with NewsProxy.
    My pleasure.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2008
  15. I don't believe that's GG spam.

    Look at the tail end of Path.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2008
  16. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Perhaps not. But it did pass through postnews.google.com as the last
    hop before new.individual.net.

    Bob

    zxcvbob, Jan 7, 2008
  17. zxcvbob

    Mike Easter Guest

    When Blinky sez the 'tail end' he means the tailend where the item
    started. A Path is read last to first, taking care to not include any
    bogus parts.
    That message was injected at a website usenet forum
    http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=56

    .... from which it has been deleted by the moderator. The edible
    gardening forum group is part of the gardenbanter group which is part of
    the newsgroupbanter.com forum process
    http://www.newsgroupbanter.com/about/ "My aim is to make the best web
    interface I can for newsgroup access. -- only around 400 newsgroups are
    serviced across a network of 40 websites"

    The tailend of the path on one newsserver sez "<snip>
    local01.nntp.dca.giganews.com! nntp.newsgroupbanter.com!
    news.newsgroupbanter.com. <snip>" and on that newsserver it never
    'touched' google servers.

    If I look at the message as archived by googlegroups, it has the same
    newsgroupbanter > giganews tail as the server I first looked.

    So the message went from Nigerian dialup IP into the newsgroupbanter
    system via the edible gardening part of the gardenbanter into the
    giganews system. It is definitely *NOT* a googlegroups sourced item.

    Mike Easter, Jan 7, 2008