    contains "postnews.google.com" in the path.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    zxcvbob, Jan 5, 2008

  2. zxcvbob

    Rôgêr Guest

    On the offchance Blinky doesn't show up soon, I'll send you to one of
    his web pages: http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

    Rôgêr, Jan 5, 2008

  3. Thanks, wingman. He multiposted (oh, well) his request to another group I
    do, and I 'splained and linked him to the UIP there, as it turns out. But
    you just can't have too many links to http://improve-usenet.org. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 5, 2008
  4. zxcvbob

    Mike Easter Guest

    Someone in a supernews support group was critiqueing the UIP filters
    page for being absent links to the apps.

    There I learned that -1- the nfilter site tended to have nameservice
    problems and -2- someone FT said the .exe file there wasn't happy with
    Win XP and provided an alternate source and files.

    http://www.nfilter.org/ nfilter : A Client-side Usenet News Filter
    http://www.saska.co.uk/nfilter/

    Mike Easter, Jan 5, 2008
  5. zxcvbob

    VanguardLH Guest

    But don't those solutions require running a local NNTP server to leech
    from the user's original NNTP server? If so, how do you restrict them
    to only yanking posts that the user requests through their NNTP
    client, like Thunderbird? If they leech all posts from subscribed
    newsgroups then the user could quickly consume their monthly quota (if
    they have one, and most users do). This has the user yanking posts
    using a local NNTP server as a client to do the pre-filtering and then
    the user connects to that local NNTP server.

    VanguardLH, Jan 5, 2008
  6. zxcvbob

    Mike Easter Guest

    Nfilter is a nntp proxy. It works most smoothly on filtering on
    headerlines included in the overview; in the case of GGers that can be
    the MID.

    So, when the newsagent requests a group's headers, the nfilter proxy
    filters the undesirables.

    Hamster Playground acts like a user newsserver.

    I don't know much about leafnode, but it is described as a store and
    forward proxy, so I don't know whether it is more like hamster or more
    like nfilter. I suspect more like hamster.

    http://leafnode.sourceforge.net/ Leafnode is a software package that
    implements a store & forward NNTP proxy (client and server)

    http://www.elbiah.de/hamster/ Hamster Playground is a free newsserver
    and mailserver software, which allows to collect news and mails from
    different servers.

    Mike Easter, Jan 5, 2008
  7. zxcvbob

    VanguardLH Guest

    I'm already using the old and dead Newsproxy (aka nFilter). That's
    how I identify Google Groupers and even Microsoft CDO
    webnews-for-dummies users. It also works to identify anyone using the
    FollowUp-To header.

    The solutions that incorporate a local NNTP server (or proxy that
    "stores") means that I'd consume my monthly quota in probably a couple
    of days although I only visit text newsgroups. Just because I
    download all the message headers to show a list of available posts
    doesn't mean that I want to read them all. I suspect these solution
    will end up yanking the entire post just so all the headers are
    available on which to filter, and yanking all posts from all the
    newsgroups that I visit would consume my monthly quota damn quick.

    The NNTP filters in Outlook Express suck for adequate sporge or spam
    filtering. Thunderbird's filters are worse than what are available in
    OE. What's needed to approximate the use of rules within the NNTP
    client (that doesn't have adequate filtering rules) is an on-the-fly
    proxy that can filter not only on the overview.fmt list of header but
    also those when the full post is retrieved. However, I'm not sure the
    rules in NNTP clients can be *re*applied after the initial poll to
    just get the overview.fmt headers.

    VanguardLH, Jan 5, 2008
  8. zxcvbob

    G. Morgan Guest

    That is correct. The one for download v1.20 @ nfilter.org is a byte
    short. However, some kind soul named Bill has done some updates on
    the program. It is now up to v1.24. D/L here:

    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/Programs/nps-124.zip

    NewsProxy v1.2.4 Release Notes 2006-07-29

    NewsProxy is a universal usenet filtering and posting header control
    tool.
    It can filter out unwanted messages through pattern matching and
    scoring.
    For help with filter expressions, see Google's newsgroups archive,
    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=nfilter.dat+example&num=100&scoring=d
    This release is mostly a tweak of the v1.2.3 release, making it easier
    to set
    up for multiple news servers.

    NewsProxy does not need an installer. You can simply extract the
    *.exe and
    run it. It will create a *.ini file to store its configuration. You
    can
    optionally add a text file called nfilter.dat (the default name, you
    can
    call it whatever you like) with filter expressions.

    For more help, see http://www.nfilter.org/ - not maintained, but still
    pertinent.

    If you are having problems, turn on all of the debugging options and
    look at both the main dialog box and the debug.log file.

    Not all servers supply all headers in the overview. The Xref header
    is the most reliable one for filtering out spam and unwanted
    crossposts.

    Changes from v1.2.3

    1. Major addition - you can specify the configuration
    file on the commandline. This makes it much easier to
    set up multiple filtered server connections.

    Create a Windows shortcut and change the Properties->Shortcut->Target
    from
    ~~~
    C:\bin\nps-124\NewsProxy.exe
    ~~~
    ~~~
    C:\bin\nps-124\NewsProxy.exe -f"C:\bin\nps-124\Altopia.ini"
    ~~~
    You can set up additional shortcuts for different config files.
    Each configuration _must_ listen at a different port and the
    newsreader must connect to 127.0.0.1 at the corresponding port.
    I recommend using #119, for example, port 2119 for your second
    server, 3119 for your third and so on.

    2. Always On Top option.

    3. Dropped Articles dialog can be resized.

    4. Other minor UI tweaks.

    G. Morgan, Jan 5, 2008
  9. That's an easy add and a nice idea. On the other hand, I hope nobody
    that wants to bin GGers hasn't been prevented because they don't know how
    to use Google's search engine to find a program.
    I'm hesitant to use an unfamiliar site for the download. Well, at least
    it's not Russian.

    I've heard about that nfilter one-byte issue in news.software.readers and
    also the resolution. Since I don't use it, I didn't remember the
    resolution, but it was simple.

    Anyway, I'll tweak the UIP to reflect these issues -- thanks for the
    input from you and the other participant(s) you mention. It probably
    won't be today, so don't go there when you read this and expect to find
    the adds already accomplished.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 5, 2008
  10. zxcvbob

    Mike Easter Guest

    I was planning on hounding you until the site was completely revised ;-)

    Mike Easter, Jan 5, 2008
  11. I just read Mike E's post as well. I'll add this link to the discussion,
    on the UIP site. I'll try to do this this weekend.

    Thanks.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 5, 2008
  12. Okay, I've added NewsProxy. What's the syntax for its ini file for
    killing key string

    googlegroups.com

    in the Message-ID header?

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 5, 2008
  13. zxcvbob

    Mike Easter Guest

    Evan Platt sez:

    * drop Message-ID:*googlegroups.com

    <ME> nfilter doesn't like a space after the header colon even tho' there
    is one there.

    Mike Easter, Jan 5, 2008
  14. Competely revised? Don't think so.

    That said, I've added links for leafnode, Hamster and NewsProxy.

    I'm working on the syntax for binning googlegroups.com in the MID header.
    Meaning I'll have to install this on some Windows machine and do some
    testing.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 5, 2008
  15. Oops. Looks like it goes in nfilter.dat.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 5, 2008
  16. That's what I was figuring, but frankly wasn't looking forward to
    installing the program to test it. :)

    Thanks. and thanks, Evan. (His post hasn't made it here, yet, if it's on
    this thread.)
    I'll note that in my write-up at the UIP.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 5, 2008
  17. I'll bet it includes it in the target string. The documentation mentions
    wild cards, but I don't think regexes. If it only does the wildmat
    asterisk and quesiton mark wildcards then [space]* would seem to require
    one or more spaces before that TLD. If it did regexes then it would
    probabaly work, the asterisk meaning some *or no* spaces before the TLD.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 5, 2008
  18. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Thanks for posting this. I used to use Newsproxy, but the one at
    nfilter.org doesn't work. I just downloaded the saska copy and have it
    up and running.

    Best regards,
    Bob

    zxcvbob, Jan 5, 2008
  19. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    I used this to filter anything that passes through google:
    * drop path:*postnews.google.com*

    For what you specifically asked:
    * drop Message-ID:*googlegroups*
    or:
    * drop Message-ID:*googlegroups.com

    BTW, the nfilter.dat file does not like blank lines. Put a # at the
    beginning if you want to leave blank lines for readability.

    Bob

    zxcvbob, Jan 5, 2008
  20. Path is expensive filtering because that header isn't in the overview.
    I know, I know...you have broadband so you don't care. :)
    Gotcha, and that confirms other input I've received. I've put the second
    one on the UIP site. Personally, I filter on simply the key string google
    in MID. But I know some people worry about that filtering someone who's
    using a fake or forged TLD or an ID token (a custom string in the LHS of
    the MID, as some clients let you insert) that contains the string google.
    For me, I don't care. I work by the odds. But I did eventually change my
    recommendations at the UIP to include the more specific string including
    the TLD just to please them. :)
    Good tip. Thanks.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 5, 2008