    Hello
    I'm looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please

    Stephen

    hammond, Nov 23, 2007

  2. hammond

    Nick Guest

    Yes, don't bother.

    Nick, Nov 23, 2007

  3. why :(?

    Stephen Hammond, Nov 23, 2007
  4. hammond

    Tim Guest

    There aren't any really good ones. There is kinda of ok, but none shine.

    Poor battery life, poor wifi access point compatibility, poor SIP stacks.

    A Nokia E series phone is probably the best.

    If you just want a phone to use at home then buy a Siemens SIP dect phone.

    Tim

    Tim, Nov 23, 2007
  5. Are the Skype (excuse my French ) ones any better ?

    Stephen Hammond, Nov 23, 2007
  6. hammond

    Spex Guest

    We have a couple of T-Mobile TC300 at home which work quite well apart
    from battery use is quite high. The TC300 is a GSM/wifi phone - so
    it's used as a mobile when out of the house and is a wifi extension of
    an Asterisk box at home.

    TC300 is available in Spain (my first one was thrown in on a broadband
    deal and the second was about 30 euros secondhand on ebay). It's also
    sold in Germany. Rebadged, it's an Arcor Twintel in Germany or a
    Pirelli DP-L10 in the UK (retails around 150 squid).

    Spex

    Spex, Nov 24, 2007
  7. I'd second this. I have a UTS F1000G Wi-Fi phone, but it's tempramental
    and would never try to sell a custom one (it fails the "wife test") It's
    battery life is surprisingly good though.

    I also have a Nokia E90 and this is better than the F1000G, but it won't
    automatically re-connect when it comes back in-range on the home Wi-Fi
    signal - I have to push a button or 2...

    But if all you want is a phone to walk round the home/office with the
    the Siemens DECT ones are very good indeed.

    What I'd love to see is a mobile phone with a GAP compliant DECT client
    built-in.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 24, 2007
  8. hammond

    alexd Guest

    Stephen Hammond wrote:
    No - it's not the SIP stack that consumes battery or causes incompatibility
    with various access points. And Skype will use more bandwidth than SIP.

    alexd, Nov 24, 2007
  9. hammond

    viperdudeuk Guest

    I use a E61 for VoIP all the time, probably > 3 hours a day during the
    week. It is the best WiFi VoIP solution I have found so far after
    trying the truely dire UTS F1000 and a crappy T-Com GSM/WiFI phone I
    got on evaluation. The E61 auto logs on at work, home and the pub and
    when calling via VoIP it sends my mobile number as CLID. It is not
    perfect however the main gripes are:-

    1. Can't alter the SIP registration time (set to 1 hour, so system
    still thinks you are around for up to 60 mins if you lose WiFi).
    2, Cant set codec preferance.
    3. Doesn't light MWI on NOTIFY.

    Regards

    Jon

    viperdudeuk, Nov 25, 2007
  10. hammond

    Tim Guest

    I do have a lot of F1000Gs to get rid of.

    Tim

    Tim, Nov 26, 2007
  11. hammond

    viperdudeuk Guest

    I'm not surprised!

    Jon

    viperdudeuk, Nov 26, 2007
  12. These look anyone tried them http://www.zheren.com/product_details.asp?id=48

    Stephen

    Stephen Hammond, Nov 27, 2007
  13. hammond

    Chris Guest

    I'm using a UTstarcom F1000 as an extension off my Trixbox. Battery
    life is OK as is call quality etc. I suspect the F3000 is better all
    round but more expensive.

    Chris

    Chris, Nov 27, 2007
  14. hammond

    Tim Guest

    Tim, Nov 27, 2007
  15. hammond

    alexd Guest

    Doesn't mention in the spec if it has a web browser or not, which I imagine
    will be of interest to those who plan to use it whilst out and about [and
    if you're not planning to use it on the hoof, DECT probably makes more
    sense]. Also, "longest standby/talk time in the world" is quite some claim
    to live up to, which presumably is why it doesn't specify what they are!

    alexd, Nov 27, 2007
  16. hammond

    Iain Guest

    Vital if you are going to have to authenticate on most public access points.

    Iain, Nov 30, 2007
  17. Can you authenticate on most public access points, with the Nokia E61 ?

    Stephen Hammond, Dec 1, 2007