    Can anyone recommend a freeware/working shareware software to do this?

    Thanks in advance,

    Ikke

    Ikke, Jan 10, 2007

  2. Ikke

    xeaglecrest Guest

    DVD Shrink in re-author mode.

    xeaglecrest, Jan 10, 2007

  3. Ikke

    Ikke Guest

    Thanks, but that doesn't work. I've tried it, but it can't even open a vob
    file. It keeps looking for the video_ts.ifo file, but I don't have that. I
    only have a single chapter of the dvd.

    Basically, I'm looking for a freeware tool that can open vobs, cut them
    (NOT in chunks of x mb, but within a range I can specify myself), and then
    saves the range I selected.

    Ikke

    Ikke, Jan 10, 2007
  4. Ikke

    xeaglecrest Guest

    It not freeware, but TMpgEnc DVD Author will work if the video_ts file
    is missing.
    Just rename the .vob to .mpg and use the "Add file" button rather than
    the
    "Add DVD video" button.
    -Bill

    xeaglecrest, Jan 11, 2007
  5. Ikke

    Ikke Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions. They have a trial version which you need to
    validate online, and which fully works for 14 days - ideal for me since I
    only need it once.

    Alas, it doesn't work. I've tried importing the vob file like you said, but
    now I get the following errors:

    "The NTSC DVD-Video standard does not accept MPEG-2 with a resolution of
    720x576"
    and
    "The NTSC DVD-Video standard does not accept a framerate 25 fps"

    Pff... If I can't find a tool by the end of the week, I'll just need to
    roll my own. Apparently there is a niche for it :)

    Ikke

    Ikke, Jan 11, 2007
  6. Ikke

    Ikke Guest

    <snipped all>

    Whoops... Spoke too soon... That'll teach me to test new software at 2 in
    the morning :)

    Apparently I missed the option on the first screen to choose between NTSC
    and PAL. After making the switch, I was able to not only import the vob I
    wanted to process, but also to cut out the range and export it to a new vob
    file!

    Bill, thank you very much for your help!

    Ikke

    Ikke, Jan 11, 2007
  7. MPEGStreamclip http://www.squared5.com/ supports

    MPEG, VOB, PS, M2P, MOD, VRO, DAT, MOV, DV, AVI, MP4, TS, M2T, MMV, REC,
    VID, AVR, M2V, M1V, MPV, AIFF, M1A, MP2, MPA, AC3...

    is free and you can do basic top and tail editing. It will play vob files
    and a whole range of other files. You can then export as a mpeg file to use
    to author a dvd etc.

    It's available for Windows or MAC the only other program you need to have
    installed is QuickTime or QuickTime Alternative (the free program from
    free-codecs)

    Little Red Hen, Jan 11, 2007
  8. Ikke

    Ikke Guest

    Thanks for the hint - I've already converted the vob file thanks to Bill,
    but I'll download it anyway and give it a try... You never know when you
    might need it again :)

    Thanks!

    Ikke

    Ikke, Jan 11, 2007
  9. And I use VideoRedo to manipulate the VOBs. Also not freeware but
    one of the best programs I've purchased. I've just edited down
    programs this AM that I recorded a few months ago from cable.

    DVDDecryptor in the IFO mode pulls out the VOBs and VideoRedo edits
    them quite nicely.

    Bill

    Bill Vermillion, Jan 31, 2007