    Anybody out there with actual experience with such a lens?

    Thanks,

    Jimmy

    Jimmy G, Jul 4, 2005

  2. Jimmy G

    Ed Ruf Guest

    How much do yo intend to use the upper end of the zoom range? Though out of
    your price range have you considered the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR + TC-20-II
    combination? You'll find some of my wildlife examples using this combo at:
    http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/D70/misc/index.html

    Ed Ruf, Jul 5, 2005

  3. Jimmy G

    Jimmy G Guest

    Nice shots! Thanks for the reference.

    I also have a non-VR Nikkor 80-200 f:2.8 D lens that I use with a 1.4X
    Teleplus converter.

    It's not as sharp as I prefer, even used on a tripod.

    I have a feeling that what I really need is a D2X if I expect detail in a
    digital format.

    Jimmy G, Jul 5, 2005
  4. Jimmy G

    Jimmy G Guest

    I now feel that it's inherent lens design that is my nemesis.

    At 400mm & max aperture, images are soft. When reducing both, I get much
    better images.

    I STILL want a fixed 400mm lens. Any deals?

    Jimmy G, Jul 9, 2005
  5. Jimmy G

    Ed Ruf Guest

    This statement doesn't make sense taken along with your original statement
    of "I have a 80-400VR, but am just not satisfied with the resolution as
    compared to my other lenses." Why does your emphasis shift from the lens
    to the body?

    Ed Ruf, Jul 9, 2005
  6. Jimmy G

    Ed Ruf Guest

    I believe you will find this aspect in the review of the 80-400mm VR at
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/VR80_400_review.html
    compared to the review of the 70-200VR:
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/AFS70-200VR_rev00.html
    which is why I chose the combo, along with then having an f/2.8 lens when
    it can be taken advantage of.

    Ed Ruf, Jul 9, 2005
  7. Jimmy G

    Jimmy G Guest