    you suggest??

    Thanks!!

    Tory

    Tory Brown, May 31, 2005

  2. Tory Brown

    c0ntex Guest

    Yeah, it's called trust, I'd suggest discussing this issue with your
    children rather than snooping on their activities.

    If you have a solid reason to believe that their activities on the
    internet / pc are against a sound moral or ethical base, then again,
    I'd discuss this directly with them, rather than spying. I assume they
    want to trust you as much as you want to trust them.

    regards
    c0ntex

    c0ntex, May 31, 2005

  3. Tory Brown

    Jim Watt Guest

    seconded.

    Jim Watt, Jun 1, 2005
  4. Tory Brown

    nemo_outis Guest

    I agree with both of you: a relationship based on mutual understanding and
    trust is what is desired.

    Which leads me to question: Why then are so many on this forum so eager to
    spy on employees?

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Jun 1, 2005
  6. Tory Brown

    Solbu Guest

    Solbu, Jun 1, 2005
  7. Tory Brown

    Ken Russell Guest

    A better option, if you are concerned about their morals being corrupted, is
    to install a reliable content filter.

    Explain to them why you are doing it, and help them to see it is because you
    are concerned about them.

    I would recommend Safe Eyes, absolutely the best that I have tried.
    http://www.safeeyes.com/

    Cheers,
    Ken Russell

    Remove yourhat to reply by e-mail
    ..

    Ken Russell, Jun 1, 2005
  8. Tory Brown

    Winged Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284931&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

    Describes remote desktop.

    Heh I trust my kids, but I have seen the brain dead teen years. Remote
    desktop is real time.

    Winged

    Winged, Jun 1, 2005
  9. Tory Brown

    Jim Watt Guest

    1. Please list them ?

    2. Who legally owns the equipment ?

    Jim Watt, Jun 1, 2005
  10. Tory Brown

    Jim Watt Guest

    The situation is different, the equipment is provided solely for the
    purposes of work not recreation, and its not 'spying' its control.

    Of course we trust our suppliers, bank statements, etc but we employ
    accountants to ensure the bills are correct, and we employ an auditor
    to check the accountants. its part of a system of necessary checks
    and balances to ensure the thieveing scum one employs does some
    occasional work.

    Jim Watt, Jun 1, 2005
  11. Tory Brown

    nemo_outis Guest

    Smacks to me of rationalization and hypocrisy.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Jun 1, 2005
  12. Tory Brown

    Ashp Guest

    Unfortunately there are people out there that look at peedoporn,
    accidentally download malware from IM or webmail, do no work and use the
    Internet all day etc.

    The reasons for the control is too protect the company. If you don't
    exert control, somebody somewhere will abuse it.

    Ash.

    Ashp, Jun 1, 2005
  13. Tory Brown

    andy smart Guest

    Can't speak for the employer/employee relationship, but in a school
    environment we monitor for three reasons:

    1) They WILL try to break stuff given half a chance, either physical
    stuff or the school rules. We have to monitor in order to see help
    prevent this. Not of course that that would have caught the kid who put
    a jam sandwich in the CDRom drive.....

    2) We have a requirement to exercise 'duty of care' to our students.
    That means we have to prevent them being exposed to materials which are
    unsuitable for them. Just because a 16 year old boy might not be shocked
    by a picture of two people having sex the 11 year old girl sitting next
    to him might well be. As it is not possible for our filtering company to
    filter all pornography we have to be able to find/trace/filter sites on
    our own. We also have to find this material when they bring it in by pen
    drive and distribute it or print it out.

    3) They take a far more flexible approach to the law than we do. Our
    computer system is provided for them as a means for learning; not as
    somewhere to keep their pirated mp3 collections.

    As somebody at one of the security companies said to me once when I said
    that part of me didn't feel happy spying on them; "Yep, we're all good
    liberals in IT. Unfortunately the students aren't"

    andy smart, Jun 1, 2005
  14. Tory Brown

    nemo_outis Guest

    Uhh, no. It has been long established that an atmosphere of mutual
    trust and responsibility is far more productive than trying to run an
    office like an electronic sweatshop or panopticon-style prison.

    Yes, there are some employees who may look at porn, goof off, etc. -
    there are those who will abuse and misuse any system. This is - first
    and foremost - a management failure, not an employee failure. But
    moving beyond that one, manages exceptions (e.g., rulebreakers) by
    exception, not be establishing a hostile environment where management
    spies on everyone to catch the few. That is the mentality of the police
    state.

    The primary supervison method is managing by results, managing outputs,
    not inputs. Even a minimally comptent manager will quickly learn who is
    not producing without having to spy.

    The mania for control is a substitute for good management by those
    incompetent to provide it. Most employees are eager to do a good job,
    and it's folly to poison that relationship to catch the few exceptions.
    As Fritz Perls wisely observed, "Don't push the river, it flows by
    itself."

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Jun 1, 2005
  15. Tory Brown

    nemo_outis Guest

    A mania for control overlaid on a deep distrust and suspicion of your
    charges and a determination to spy on and control them. What a wonderful
    example of mature adulthood to set for the youth.

    It sounds, rather than working at a school, that you would be more at
    home running, say, a minimum security prison. Then you could fully
    induge your "Mr. Bumble the beadle" needs while kidding yourself about
    how you really have "the best interest of the kids" at heart. Have you
    considered a career in law enforcement?

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Jun 1, 2005
  16. Tory Brown

    Ashp Guest

    What are we talking about here? Are we talking about blocking sites,
    blocking firewall ports, blocking MP3s on servers, logging web access,
    or actively spying on people? There is a line here, and depending on the
    company this line can be at different points.

    Ash.

    Ashp, Jun 1, 2005
  17. Tory Brown

    andy smart Guest

    I assume that you are offering to come and explain to the parents of our
    students that we shouldn't do everything in our power to prevent them
    accessing pornography which distresses others? And that we should let
    some students misuse our computer system to the point at which their
    activities cause distress to their children or prevent them learning
    while we fix the system

    We permit them wide-ranging access to sites which inform them, but not
    sites which provide material which is inappropriate; we belive that a
    school is for finding material from which to learn. What would be your
    suggestion for persuading them that some sites do not consitute that? I
    can assure you that however reasonably you tried to persude them by
    arguement they'd laugh in your face and do it anyway

    Frankly I have considered a career in law enforcement, and were a
    suitable way to use my talents in that area to arise I'd consider
    applying. Unlike some I don't believe that law enforcement is bad, as it
    is through laws and their enforcement that we create a society in which
    utopian fantasists can exist without fear for their lives or property.

    andy smart, Jun 1, 2005
  18. Tory Brown

    nemo_outis Guest

    "...they'd laugh in your face and do it anyway." What a revealing
    statement - about you, not them!

    I spoke of your suspicion and mistrust of the children in the previous
    post, but I was wrong. This goes far beyond mere suspicion or mistrust -
    your total hostility and utter contempt towards them comes shining through.

    Guantanamo might be a good place for you to put your talents to full use.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Jun 1, 2005
  19. Tory Brown

    Ashp Guest

    Just because you can't see the force moving the river, doesn't mean the
    river is moving by itself.

    Ash.

    Ashp, Jun 1, 2005
  20. Tory Brown

    nemo_outis Guest

    You have a marvellous ability for completely missing the point. Is it
    innate or did you have to cultivate it?

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Jun 1, 2005