    "Any" input appreciated.. Not after anything really brilliant, just a
    basic program is fine..

    Paradox

    Paradox, Nov 1, 2004

  2. Paradox

    johns Guest

    Recovering a crash in the presence of one of those
    things makes me crazy. Nearly impossible. Profs here
    use them, and if the drive goes down, the folder becomes
    invisible. A binary reader can see them, but they are
    gone out of the OS. You truly are playing with fire.

    johns

    johns, Nov 2, 2004

  3. Paradox

    Jan Guest

    Look at Polytrust C4. Encrypt your files on one PC, export the encryption
    key to another PC, there you are.
    www.polytrust.com

    Jan, Nov 2, 2004
  4. Paradox

    Paradox Guest

    Having had a problem in the past, I totally agree with you, they can
    be a major headache.. I carry a load of important, confidential data
    on my laptop that I don't want to duplicate. But, in the event of a
    crash, I'd like to just be able to move the encrypted folder to
    another PC, install the encryption Software, and then reopen the
    folder... Man, looking for something that's available is murder...
    Nothing lets you export a file to another machine, and even if it
    does, it won't open it, even if you install the same program, setup
    the same password, on the same operating system....

    So basically I just need something that locks the folder without
    hiding code in the windows registry.... Thanks for your input,
    hopefully someone out there knows of something.....

    Paradox

    Paradox, Nov 3, 2004
  5. Paradox

    Paradox Guest

    Thanks Jan,

    I'll download the trial tommorrow & let you know how I go...

    Paradox

    Paradox, Nov 3, 2004
  6. Paradox

    Paradox Guest

    Very Scary, downloaded the trial and tested it thoroughly with some
    test folders.. Seemed to work with encrypting the folder and all the
    files inside, and tried transferring the folders to other computers on
    my network, seemed to work 90% of the time, however, occasionally it
    would lock me out of the folder and "poison" the test text files
    inside making them unreadable. I then tried numerous ways of
    decrypting the data back again on the machine it was created on and
    other computers on my network, with all keys, from all machines, to no
    avail.... I'm just happy I tried it with documents saying "the cat sat
    on the mat" & "the moon is made of green cheese" instead of important
    data... I guess I won't be buying Polytrusts products, and my quest
    continues for a "basic" encryption program that allows me to transfer
    folders to other computers and read them without stuffing up the
    contents...

    Paradox

    Paradox, Nov 9, 2004
  7. 1. Encrypted zip file (free)
    2. PGP/GnuPG encrypted files (free)
    3. PGP Disk (US$50)

    Timothy Goddard, Nov 10, 2004
  8. Paradox

    David Shaw Guest

    Actually, you can just use the freeware version of PGP Desktop (8.1 is
    current, I believe), and have PGP Disk (limited) (free). That's what I
    use, anyway, with an exported key hidden at a secure location :)

    - dshaw

    David Shaw, Nov 11, 2004
  9. The freeware version I have (8.0.3) locks the PGPDisk in the freeware
    version.

    Timothy Goddard, Nov 11, 2004
  10. Paradox

    dc0de Guest

    I have been using PGP Desktop Workgroup Edition for over 2 years, and
    currently use the PGP Disk option to keep all of my personal and private
    data secured.

    My PGP Disk actually resides on an external USB2 device (usb key fob
    memory), and my keys are stored on a different drive.

    I have been so happy with this solution, that I purchased my own copy of
    the product last year, with a perpetual license and upgrade. I feel
    that it is well worth the cost.

    I feel fairly confident that my personal data will be safe, to all but
    the best encryption breakers.

    Just my 2ยข, YMMV

    dc0de, Dec 3, 2004