  1. .... for shooting interiors (for real estate webpage)

    I know this can be done with a digital SLR, but would prefer not having to go to
    that expense. Are there any other options??

    Doghouse Riley, Aug 9, 2004

  2. Doghouse Riley

    Udie Lafing Guest

    You could actually hire a photographer :) to do the work
    instead of asking them to give you the answers(cheap skate) ;-)

    Udie Lafing, Aug 9, 2004

  3. Doghouse Riley

    Bob Guest

    I had a cheapy little Olympus that was wide angle - it had a x3 zoom where the
    max zoom appeared to be 50mm!

    That's the problem with little digitals - they say zoom but never where... could
    be wide, could be tele...

    You should go to a big store and try as many as you can - look for yourself and
    take the one with the widest picture.

    Or maybe ask at that Digital Camera Review place...

    http://www.dpreview.com/

    Bob, Aug 9, 2004
  4. Doghouse Riley

    Frank ess Guest

    5MP Nikon Coolpix 5000; add the wide convertor and it goes to 19mm
    equivalent.

    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Aug 9, 2004
  5. Doghouse Riley

    Smarty Guest

    Nikon 5400 and new Canon S60 both have 28mm wide angle coverage

    Smarty, Aug 9, 2004
  6. Doghouse Riley

    zeitgeist Guest

    I have a Canon G2 which is about 28mm on the wide end. But my experience
    with interiors is that you need WIDE, as in as wide as you can get without
    fisheye effects. You can get many P&S types that will let you put an
    adapter that you take a quality hit, plus the cost you might as well invest
    in a dslr.

    zeitgeist, Aug 9, 2004
  7. Doghouse Riley

    Mark M Guest

    28mm is NOT wide enough for a large percentage of interior shots.
    Also...If you want to create images for ads that really show off the size of
    the room...then the wider the better.

    If you change your mind about SOME additional expense, then I would
    recommend you consider spending about $1500. --This would get you the Canon
    Digital Rebel, and the excellent 17-40mm f4 L lens. This combination would
    be ideal for your needs in my opinion.
    It would also be worth purchasing the 420EX shoe-mounted flash. Built-in
    flash will simply not present interiors well.

    Bottom line:
    While it may be a slightly large outlay in the short term, the long term
    RESULTS of presenting high quality, appropriately wide angled shots that
    truly show off your properties will TRULY repay the cost many times.

    In the real estate shopping world, pictures are everything in terms of
    actually getting people to visit the property. Crummy pictures mean very
    short lists of visitors or potential buyers.
    Invest.
    You won't be sorry.

    Canon Digital Rebel: $799
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=297500&is=REG
    Canon 17-40 f4 L lens: $689
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=279582&is=USA
    Canon 420EX flash: $179
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=206436&is=USA

    Total cost (no flash): $1489.90
    With flash: 1669.85

    Mark M

    Mark M, Aug 9, 2004
  8. Doghouse Riley

    YoYo Guest

    A cheap good working way would be the
    Canon A300 or A310 small 3.2mg camera
    with a very wide angle lens. Excellent
    for just web pages, and cheap too.

    "Doghouse Riley" <>
    wrote in message
    SLR, but would prefer not having to go
    options??

    YoYo, Aug 9, 2004
  9. Doghouse Riley

    YoYo Guest

    Mark your suggestion argues with itself!
    percentage of interior shots

    the Canon Digital Rebel with a 17-40mm
    f4 L is equal to a 28mm wide angle at
    17mm

    "Mark M"
    <

    YoYo, Aug 9, 2004
  10. Those are 33 mm equivalent. Not so wide.

    No - for interiors for a real estate page you will need
    more than that. If you have time you could do some stitching,
    i.e. taking several picturs and combine them. Rather hard
    work for interiors though. Almost for free if you have the
    time. But time is money :)

    Now - real estate? Is that not very expensive in US? Would
    not a more expensive solution be well worth it?

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Aug 9, 2004
  11. Doghouse Riley

    Justin Thyme Guest

    but the 17mm lens on the eos300d is equivalent to 27.2mm - very close to
    28mm.
    I'd suggest a far cheaper alternative would be a Nikon 5400 (28mm), one of
    the little ricoh's (28mm), or even get pretty much any small digital with a
    wide angle adapter - saw a generic .45x wide adapter the other day which
    would take most digitals out to about 15mm.

    Justin Thyme, Aug 9, 2004
  12. No, the wide end is equivalent to 35 mm, not 28.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Aug 9, 2004
  13. Doghouse Riley

    Mark M Guest

    Oops.
    I was thinking in terms of a 28mm on a DSLR as not being wide enough.
    A 28mm lens on a DSLR is like trying to shoot interiors with a 45mm lens.
    I guess he's talking about a cheap point and shoot with an equivalent of
    28mm.

    Mark M, Aug 9, 2004
  14. Doghouse Riley

    digiboy Guest

    I agree with all this. You can get 28mm equiv on P+S cam, but they
    suffer distortion due to the optical 'stress' on the lens to get such
    a small size.

    Either buy a film SLR with 24mm or wider, or get a pro Nikon / Canon
    DSLR with a decent wideangle

    digiboy, Aug 10, 2004
  15. digiboy wrote:
    []
    Have you looked at the Nikon Coolpix 5000 with its wide-angle 19mm
    adapter - it not nearly as bad as the cheaper wide-angle cameras.
    Programs such as Paint Shop Pro can easily correct a small amount of
    residual lens distortion.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 10, 2004
  16. Doghouse Riley

    Frank ess Guest

    This is a quick example of what the CP5000 and its wide adapter will
    give you:
    http://www.fototime.com/65CB82517402CA6/orig.jpg

    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Aug 10, 2004
  17. Doghouse Riley

    per Guest

    A few suggestions:
    The compact mid size Canon S60 does 28-100 mm equivalent.
    The previous 5 MB prosumer camera, Minolta A1, (28-200 equivalent) is sold
    at attractive prices these days
    The new prosumer Olympus Camedia C-8080 Wide Zoom does 28-140 mm
    equivalent.
    /per

    per, Aug 10, 2004
  18. Frank ess wrote:
    []
    Thanks, Frank, clearly a very wide-angle view. The netting is
    distracting, though!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 10, 2004
  19. Doghouse Riley

    Frank ess Guest

    Yes; I thought it would show the kind of dof and distortion you could
    expect.

    Here are three more that may play more into the real estate interiors
    milieu:
    from the center of a room about 12 by 16 feet; CP5000 with wide adapter
    (to ~19mm equivalent); program exposure; no adjustments whatsoever;
    reduced from 2560x in 10% stair-steps; saved at Photo Shop 30 quality.

    A more serious product would involve leveling the camera, locating it as
    far from the subject wall as possible, bracketing and Photo Shopping the
    blowouts, and all that kind of thing.

    Again, this is just quick work for demonstration of the wide-angleness
    of the CP5000 with wide adapter:
    http://www.fototime.com/228639E8DA4E614/orig.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/C20A6B32E2DA51A/orig.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/8D9CAA0CEEE431F/orig.jpg

    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Aug 10, 2004
  20. Frank ess wrote:
    []
    Good demonstrations, as you say. A snip to correct the geometry.

    Thanks,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 10, 2004