    want the shutter to trip when I push the button and not 10 minutes
    later.

    Michael

    Michael, Jul 23, 2007

  2. Most somewhat recent digital cameras will have that except for the very
    cheapest throw-away plastic.
    Any dSLR :)

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jul 23, 2007

  3. Michael

    bugbear Guest

    And most P&S IFF you can pre focus.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Jul 23, 2007
  4. Michael

    Bates Guest

    Well as pointed out a DSLR will have the best response rate but I
    assume you are talking P&S.

    I was in the same boat. I have to P&S digitals that I can recommend
    as being pretty quick in response time - not as quick as a dSLR but
    overall quite responsive.

    My first purchase was a Canon S80 which I really like. It's a bit
    bulky but gives you incredible control - Auto, Programmed Auto,
    aperature priority, shutter priority, full manual etc... It is an 8
    MP camera and quite responsive. Built like a tank. Only two problems
    - one - it is a bit bulky so was not "pocket friendly" and two - my
    wife likes it and will not let me use it :) I bought a second dP&S
    for travel - the Canon SD700IS. It is much more compact but still
    very well built. You loose the Av and Tv modes sadly and a bit of
    resolution (6MP rather than 8MP), but gain a longer zoom (4x vs 3x), a
    higher ISO capability (for what it is worth) and a very nice optical
    IS feature which works very well. Shutter lag is very low. It takes
    very nice pictures - I'm very happy with it.

    Both worth taking a look at.

    Bates.....

    Bates, Jul 23, 2007
  5. Michael

    Bates Guest

    Oh...by the way dpreview.com does actually give response times for all
    their reviews too which should help you find what you want. Look on
    the performance page.

    For example:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonSD700IS/page10.asp

    Bates.....

    Bates, Jul 23, 2007
  6. Michael

    C J Campbell Guest

    DSLRs give the fastest response rate. Other digital cameras are slowed
    by the time it takes to process the image to the LCD and the time it
    takes to switch the sensor from displaying an image on the LCD and to
    taking a picture. With a DSLR the sensor is always in picture-taking
    mode and a mechanical shutter determines when the picture is taken.

    This is not to say that the delay of other digital cameras is very
    long, but it can make a huge difference in your pictures. If you look
    at the LCD while you move your hand in front of the camera, you will
    see a noticeable delay before the movement shows up on the LCD. If you
    are using the LCD to frame your picture your hand may have moved out of
    the picture entirely before you take the shot. It is often the
    difference between getting a picture of a bird and a picture of a twig.

    The other delay introduced by digital cameras is the delay between the
    time you press the shutter release and when it actually takes the
    picture. There have been improvements and sometimes the delay is very
    short, but digital technology is going to have progress a lot further
    before it can beat a mechanical system such as in a DSLR. In general,
    you pay for speed with weight and size -- more speed means more battery
    power and more complex circuitry.

    Cameras with electric zoom lenses also slow down your photography quite
    a lot. They don't have a delay like the shutter release delay, but
    waiting for the lens to slowly zoom in and out can be a real pain.
    Manual zooms are much faster and more accurate. Almost all DSLRs use
    manual zoom and so do some other digital cameras.

    If speed is important to you then it should be obvious that you should
    be looking at a DSLR, which means, of course, that you can say good-by
    to the lightweight shirt pocket cameras.

    C J Campbell, Jul 23, 2007
  7. Michael

    King Sardon Guest

    A very good table of cameras documenting their shutter lag is
    available at http://tinyurl.com/fa6nx.

    The recent Sonys are excellent choices but have no (or crummy) image
    stabilization. The Canon SD800 IS does have it, and has a pretty short
    shutter lag of 0.28 sec... The A710 has a similar shutter lag and
    takes better pictures but is a bulkier (but still compact) camera.

    So it's up to you to do the research to find what features you want in
    combination with a satisfactory shutter lag.

    KS

    King Sardon, Jul 23, 2007
  8. Michael

    tnom Guest

    http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-lag-comparisons.cfm

    tnom, Jul 23, 2007
  9. Michael

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I remember finally getting a Sony DSC-P93 to get some nice photos of
    my dog going over jumps, having retired my Leica model F many years ago.

    Was I surprised by the shutter lag! I thought I'd never get used to it.
    My finely-tuned shutter reflexes from the Leica are all wrong.

    In a couple of weeks I had it down. You just have to anticipate
    differently, but it's not harder than before.

    Now I got an even cheaper DSC-S700, and it has an amazingly long
    shutter delay. I'm not sure that even I can adjust to this one.
    It's almost self-timer territory.

    Ron Hardin, Jul 23, 2007
  10. Michael

    FrankLM Guest

    What a shame that idiots still refer people to that comparison list. It was
    obviously written by someone who doesn't know the first thing about how to use a
    camera properly. I can easily fire off 5 individual frames in single-shot mode
    on my P&S camera in under 2 seconds (much much faster in high-speed burst mode),
    yet the author of that page lists my camera as taking 8 seconds for 5 shots!
    What kind of total moron put that list together? Was he busy eating bonbons
    between shots? And even more importantly, what kinds of total morons keep
    referring that to that list as some kind of accurate reference?

    You people really need to get your shit together. NONE of you have a clue if
    this is the kind of untested and unquestioned references that you take as
    gospel.

    FrankLM, Jul 24, 2007
  11. Ron Hardin wrote:
    []
    A good small-sensor camera should have an almost negligible shutter delay,
    providing you use the initial-half-press to establish focus and exposure.
    Whether cheaper equals better is, perhaps, dubious.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 24, 2007
  12. Michael

    ASAAR Guest

    Not to worry. X-Man is one of a small number of sock puppet
    trolls that recently started infesting the newsgroup. Trying to
    argue or reason with them is *always* a waste of time. To more
    easily recognize them, here is the latest, up-to-date copy of the :

    ASAAR, Jul 24, 2007
  13. Michael

    tnom Guest

    Contact the author. He will explain how the numbers were generated.
    You are just mad because your camera is not so well rated.

    tnom, Jul 24, 2007
  14. Michael

    FrankLM Guest

    Mad? More like doubled with laughter that you people are using that as any kind
    of valid reference whatsoever when his figures are that far off. Get a clue
    idiot. I have checked his rates against 5 different cameras, they'll ALL wrong.
    5 out of 5 that I tested are completely wrong. How many others on that list are
    completely wrong. Going by my sampling rate I would have to assume that 100% of
    them on that list are totally wrong.

    And yet you, and more fools just like you, parade that list around like it's
    some valid source of information for newcomers when making an important decision
    in buying their expensive cameras. I hope that the next person that is advised
    to use that list takes it out on you or anyone that refers them to that web-page
    for giving them 100% wrong information when they too find out that that list is
    nothing but a comedy of errors supported by useless internet clowns.

    FrankLM, Jul 24, 2007
  15. So, which camera is that?

    mark.thomas.7, Jul 24, 2007
  16. Michael

    tnom Guest

    Snip
    Give us your testing method. Be specific. Let us know how you measure
    in hundredths of a second. I am sure by your persistence that you have
    a much more accurate lab like method. Maybe you should write to the
    below link and let them in on how you test for shutter lag so that
    they can put your camera on top.

    http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-lag-comparisons.cfm

    tnom, Jul 24, 2007
  17. Michael

    SMS Guest

    Remember that it's not just shutter lag, it's the total lag that's
    really important.

    A non-DSLR with about 0.25-0.35s total lag is pretty much the best you
    can do--some of the non-DSLRs are more than 1 second which is very
    annoying, while a lot of cameras are in the 0.5-1 sec range for total lag.

    Unfortunately, the total lag times are not necessarily getting faster.

    Look at the Sony DSC-W7. At full wide-angle, with auto-focus, the delay
    is 0.34 seconds, with manual focus it's 0.21 seconds. The 5 megapixel
    version, the DSC-W5 is a bit faster still. Unfortunately neither is
    still available.

    I wish that there were a camera review site with a search engine that
    included shutter lag/autofocus lag as one of the parameters. The current
    search engines at sites like dpreview are not very good. Even if the
    actual review includes shutter lag, you have to look at every review to
    find it out.

    You may just want to get a low end digital SLR kit, such as the Olympus
    E500 kit for about $550.

    Steve

    SMS, Jul 24, 2007
  18. Michael

    tnom Guest

    Imaging - resource has these specs. They are not searchable. Here's
    one example:

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/H1/H1DATA.HTM

    tnom, Jul 25, 2007
  19. Michael

    King Sardon Guest

    King Sardon, Jul 25, 2007
  20. Michael

    SMS Guest

    Right, what I'd like is something similar to phonescoop.com, but for
    digital cameras. The dpreview "Features Search" is not very good. You
    often end up with either no cameras that match the criteria, or way too
    many. They leave out so many important parameters in their search engine.

    SMS, Jul 25, 2007