looking for a decent photo downloader

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by C3, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. C3

    C3 Guest

    Hi everyone, I have a Canon IXUS 400 (aka S400). Can somebody recommend a
    good photo downloader? ZoomBrowser is ok, but I'm looking for something a
    bit more flexible, and possibly faster.

    Here is what I need in decreasing order of importance:

    * Downloads photos into separate folders for each day (like ZoomBrowser),
    but unlike ZoomBrowser, I want the folders to be named "YYYY-MM-DD - $name".

    Note that those are dashes and not underscores. Hopefully I will be prompted
    for the name of the folder. The name part actually isn't that important. I
    just want the dashes in that date format.

    * The program must be able to be run, download all new photos from the
    camera automatically, and depending on the options set, format the card.
    Erasing each photo takes longer than a format.

    * Be fast to load and run, plus light on memory requirements

    * Be small

    * Be free.

    The first two characteristics are extremely important. By the way, I don't
    need the program to do anythign else, much less waste CPU time doing it.
    Things like thumbnails are not needed. This is where zoombrowser fails. I
    also don't want it creating .info files everywhere.

    Thanks everyone.

    cheers,

    C3

    C3, Jan 20, 2004

  2. C3

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Jan 20, 2004

  3. C3

    c0smic Guest

    I like the WIA driver. Just plug the camera into the USB port and the
    Windows Scanner and Camera Wizard pops up. It will display a thumbnail
    of each photo on the camera. Then select the ones you want to copy to a
    file. All will be selected by default, just deselect the obvious duds.
    Then you can either choose a folder to copy the photos to or create and
    name a new folder. Then name the group of photos and it adds 001 002
    etc. to the name. It's not totally automatic because you have to create
    the folder and name the photos but it is very simply done through the
    Scanner and Camera Wizard. You will have to format the card yourself in
    the camera. These things take less than 30 seconds and you will have the
    folders and files named exactly as you want. And it's simple and free-
    get it here: http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/customer/driverdown.html .

    c0smic, Jan 21, 2004
  4. C3

    C3 Guest

    This is perfect. Thanks for the recommendation.

    C3

    C3, Jan 21, 2004
  5. C3

    Dave Guest

    BreezeBrowser isn't free, is it?

    Dave, Jan 21, 2004
  6. C3

    C3 Guest

    Ok, it's not 100% perfect, but as far as features go, it has almost
    everything I need.

    C3

    C3, Jan 22, 2004
  7. C3

    LLutton Guest

    I use BreezeBrowser to download from my Canon G1. It's much faster than using
    Canon's ZoomBrowser. It is free.
    I use Photoshop CS for my RAW images.
    Lynn

    LLutton, Jan 22, 2004
  8. C3

    Dave Guest

    It looks good to me too, and I'll probably try out the demo this
    weekend, but I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a free
    version.

    Dave

    Dave, Jan 22, 2004