    so those are out too. I'm looking to spend less than $450.00

    Any recommendations?

    Thank you,

    Tyrone Jackson, May 25, 2004

  2. Tyrone Jackson

    Annika1980 Guest

    From: "Tyrone Jackson"
    Spend more $$$.

    Annika1980, May 25, 2004

  3. Ok, how about $550?

    Any recommendations?

    Ty

    Tyrone Jackson, May 25, 2004
  4. Tyrone Jackson

    Linda_N Guest

    Panasonic DMC FZ10 12x optical zoom f2.8 throughout the whole zoom, image
    stabalized, very fast shutter for a non-dSLR. In the USA there are some
    valid places (walk in) selling it between 500 and $550. You need to shop
    around. I have seen it as cheap as $400, but one needs to wonder why/how it
    could be so cheap in comparison to others selling the same camera.

    Linda.

    Linda_N, May 25, 2004
  5. Tyrone Jackson

    Douglas Guest

    One bad point about this camera,the review I read just today say image
    qualith is sub par.Bottom line,no matter how many bells and whistles,image
    quality is the KEY!

    Douglas, May 25, 2004
  6. How much is the Olympus C750 over there, or the Kodak DX6490?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, May 25, 2004
  7. Seems like you have champagne taste on a beer budget. Good luck in
    trying to strike a balance.

    Michael

    street shooter, May 25, 2004
  8. Tyrone Jackson

    ECM Guest

    I've been doing the research for a couple of months.

    You should decide what's important to you first - image quality,
    blow-ups, size of the camera, media type, control complexity, warm-up
    and shutter lag, etc. etc - each person's needs vary widely. My
    personal list is:

    1. Image quality - I want to replace my Nikon FG-20 and ISO 100 film,
    so image quality is important. I want to blow things up to 11X14, and
    hang them on my wall.
    2. Size - I want it to weigh no more than 500-600g; my hand gets tired
    with my Nikon and a telephoto lens (about 1 kg).
    3. Shutter lag - I need to take the picture NOW, not in 5 seconds - I
    take a lot of snaps of the kids, wildlife, etc - the moment is
    fleeting.....
    4. Control - I want to be in charge of the aperture and shutter speed
    on occasion.
    5. Price.

    In the $400 range, there's the Kodak DX6490, the Olympus C-740, and
    the Nikon 5400 - all excellent image quality. Downside to the Kodak is
    that the dock is sold separately - but you don't really need it. The
    C-740 is very small, with a great 10X zoom.

    In the $500 range, you should check out the Olympus C-5060 - it gets
    universal kudos for it's picture quality. A close second would be the
    Canon G5, and the Nikon 5700.

    Personally, I'm waiting for a sale on the Olympus C-8080 in the $800
    range - it's a bit heavy, but much less so than my old SLR with the
    telephoto. It won't do for "art" shots - landscapes and so forth - but
    I'll continue to carry my SLR, too. Competition is the Nikon 8700 and
    the Canon Powershot Pro1.

    If you can get to ~$900, the EOS Digital Rebel is a great camera for
    the money - but WAY to bulky for my tastes. The FG-20 I've been using
    for a few years is a "compact" SLR - it's about 2/3 the size of the
    Digital Rebel. The Canon EOS Rebel feels too big to maneuver in my
    hand.

    I'm taking a "gestalt" approach to the available reviews, ie. it's my
    overall impression of what I've read; you should read a few reviews,
    too.... what appealed to me may not be what turns your crank....

    Good Luck in your search!
    ECM

    ECM, May 25, 2004
  9. Tyrone Jackson

    Linda_N Guest

    than buy film, not digital, because other than top pro dSLRs (those $4000
    and upward bodies) you are going to have image imperfections. The Op said he
    wanted to spend no more than $550, and for that price he can't go wrong with
    the Panasonic DMC FZ10.

    Whatever review you read is full of it:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz10_pg5.html

    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_fz10-review/index.shtml

    http://www.megapixel.net/cgi-bin/fs...l.net/reviews/panasonic-fz10/fz10-review.html
    (use drop menu to select 'Our Options' is you want a fast look at how it
    rated in various catagories)

    dpreview doesn't have a review on it, more like a manufacurer's
    release/preview announcement, but they have a user forum just for this
    camera and lots of people love it.

    Top that off, I don't own one, but if I lived in the USA I would since it is
    so cheap there. Here it is selling for between $1100 to $1400 and anyway you
    slice it that does not convert to $450 - $550 usd, but rather much more like
    $800 usd at current exchange rates. Panasonic Canada basically said they are
    aware it is a lot more in Canada and that they had no plans to change/reduce
    the price to an amount more equal to that being offered by the USA Panasonic
    division.

    Linda

    Linda_N, May 25, 2004
  10. Tyrone Jackson

    ArtKramr Guest

    Subject: Re: Looking for a decent New digital camera

    The 6490 is a great camera and needle sharp. It now goes for just a hair over
    $400 with dock. and the color is extremely accurate. Prints to 11x14 really
    good.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, May 25, 2004
  11. Tyrone Jackson

    ECM Guest

    Sorry, I meant the Olympus C-750 - the C-740 uses an outdated 3.2
    Mpixel CCD, the C-750 has a 4.1 Mpixel CCD, and has a few other
    updates that make it worth while. The newer C-765 is in the same price
    range, and is also getting good reviews, with a slightly better lens,
    faster picture processing and a smaller size....

    Peace!
    ECM

    ECM, May 25, 2004
  12. I feel that Olympus cameras offer the best combination of quality and price.

    Marvin Margoshes, May 25, 2004
  13. Tyrone Jackson

    ECM Guest

    I looked at the Panasonic FZ10 at a local store - it's got the best
    ultra-zoom lens of the bunch, hands down. However, it's still a 4
    Mpixel camera selling for over US$500 - at most reputable places it's
    more like US$600 - and it's a bit large compared to the Olympus
    C-750/765. I would have been more interested if it were a 5-6 Mpixel;
    I know that the difference is relatively small, but it's still
    important to me.

    And yes, the prices in Canada suck bobo for most of these cameras - as
    a matter of fact, for most Japanese electronics in general. A relative
    recently visited me here in the States to buy a pro level digital
    camera - it was cheaper for her to come see me AND buy the camera,
    than buy it online in B.C.!

    Peace!
    ECM

    ECM, May 25, 2004
  14. Tyrone Jackson

    Linda_N Guest

    If you need more than 4mp it is not the best camera to buy. That zoom with
    IS is just soooooo mouth watering though, plus they have an adapter and
    tele-conversion lens that allows for (If I recall correctly) 1000mm! That
    would cost a fortune in dSLR most likely. There was a price drop on it a
    week or so ago so I think you will find that many reputable places are
    selling it for $500 - $550, B&H is probably more, but they always are it
    seems. I think the IS, Leica 12x optical, f/2.8 throughout the zoom, fast
    shutter speed, fairly strong/robust build are probably the main reasons why
    it is more than many 4 meg cams. Funny enough I read that it is not that
    great in really low light. I would have thought with the 2.8 it would have
    fended at least as well as the others.

    Canon is pretty much dollar for dollar (taking current currency rates into
    consideration) here, Nikon is a little more expensive for shelf price, but
    once I factor in how much I will pay if customs slaps duty and a brokerage
    fee on there I would end up paying more than if I purchased locally.
    Panasonic Canada's MSRP for the FZ10 is just ridiculous in comparison to the
    average shelf price in teh USA. It could be that no local stores seem to
    stock Panasonic here. Sony is also much more expensive here. Maybe those
    companies don't want to sell their cameras here lol.

    Linda

    Linda_N, May 27, 2004
  15. Tyrone Jackson

    Dave Guest

    If you want a zoom you could look at the C-750. It's main problem is
    low light autofocus. The FZ10 is another but for more money. I have
    some C750 info collected here;

    http://home.att.net/~galt_57/

    Dave, May 27, 2004
  16. Tyrone Jackson

    unavailable Guest

    Just returned the Sony Cybershot DSC-W1 and the Olympus C-50 and bought the
    Cannon Powershot S500. NOW, I am happy. Seems to be much better than the
    rest. Smaller too (seems hard to believe.) But I'm now a believer.

    You can get it at sams club online for 465.00

    unavailable, Jun 27, 2004