Looking for a decent camera for $400 or so. Sony comparisons?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DJ, Jan 15, 2006.

  1. DJ

    DJ Guest

    I need a digital camera. I have purchased (and returned) a number of
    pocket size cameras (Pentax Optio-60, Canon A520, HP707, Kodak Z760)
    While I like the size, I wasn't satisfied with the picture quality. I
    think I need a better lense. I like the sony cameras and I have
    looked at the DSC-H1. Seems like a pretty nice camera but I haven't
    had an opportunity to test it well. I have an opportunity to buy a
    second hand DSC-F717 for about $375. Spent the day with it and it
    seems pretty nice.

    I really like some of the low light focus features on the F717 and
    from what I have read, the Ziess lense is pretty good. Also battery
    life seems unbelievable compared to others.

    Can anyone offer any comparison between the H1 and a F717, or
    otherwise offer any advice?

    Thanks!

    DJ, Jan 15, 2006

  2. DJ

    Nemo Guest

    I recently purchased the Kodak p850 and despite problems with Quicktime
    I do like the camera. However, my previous camera was a Canon A75. I
    opted for the Kodak because of the zoom 12X , large LCD (2.5), and Dell
    had it on for $449. Otherwise I would have gone for the Sony. I see
    they price is dropping on the Sony. I always go to Steve's Digicams or
    dcresource for reviews. It is generally a matter of what features you
    want and the price you are willing to pay. Hope this helps. Good luck!

    Nemo, Jan 15, 2006

  3. DJ

    DJ Guest

    Thanks for the info. I gues what I was really concerned with was the
    fact that the F717 was a few years old. Knowing how technology
    changes with the times, I was wondering if the reviews I have been
    reading were relevant today. They sound great but for all I know,
    the F717 could be a total junk compared to the H1.

    There are just so many cameras out there it's tough to decide.

    Thanks-

    DJ, Jan 15, 2006
  4. DJ

    Nemo Guest

    You might like to wait and pick up the Sony dch1 when it goes on sale.
    (and it will!) It is smaller than the F717. (It has a 12x zoom.) The
    F717 originally went for $1000(suggested) Price now though means
    nothing. Digital cameras have gone way down in price for the features
    you get. The dsch1 has dropped $100 since it was first introduced. I'm
    glad I went for the extreme zoom. I can take photos now that I could
    only take before with my film camera and bulky lenses. You may tire
    quickly of a 5x zoom. With the dsch1 you get everything you could ever
    use for a long time. An added bonus is the video mode on it is
    excellent. Two cameras in one. I like my Kodak for that it also has a
    great video which is one of the reasons I bought it. Hope this helps.

    Nemo, Jan 15, 2006