Looking for 2 fulltime enterprise experienced Windows Senior sysadmins/engineers

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Hi All,

    One engineer will be experienced in Windows Security and that will be
    the main focus.

    The second engineer will be AD, policies, EMC SANS, MS clustering focused.

    75% of the time (even 100%) this job will be project work, remianing
    supporting level 2 as needed. Lots of servers to be rebuilt this year,
    server consolidation, new clustering....AD review and sort out.

    This is a large site with 150 servers and 5000 odd users, lots of
    upgrades, should be interesting work.

    If interested please email me at with a brief
    CV/letter outlining your capabilities, immediate start possible.....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 30, 2006

  2. *SNIP*
    *SNIP*

    And it's based... where?

    Matthew Poole, Mar 30, 2006

  3. Auckland ? They are the only ones that feel they don't need to say :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 30, 2006
  4. India :)

    wogers nemesis, Mar 30, 2006
  5. thingy

    Shane Guest

    Heh
    From things headers

    (I thought everyone knew where thing worked:)
    So Im going to take a punt and say wellywood

    Shane, Mar 30, 2006
  6. thingy

    Peter Guest

    The words 'windows' and 'security' are mutually exclusive.

    Peter, Mar 30, 2006
  7. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Duh, Wellington.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 30, 2006
  8. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Now Now...

    The simple answer is Windows can be made acceptably secure by following
    good practice.

    ie this is like MS saying oOo is 10 years behind the latest MS Office
    (it is not btw) so rubbish. What I will agree with is in a similar way
    to MS's security, oOo wont satisfy everyone (read paranoid), but it is
    good enough for most.

    The biggest problem for Windows security is the lack of capability of
    the people who look after the box. By this I dont mean Windows sys
    admins are crap, what I mean is most of the botnets are residential
    computers who's owners lack the capability to tie down the OS
    adequately. In fact you could add me into that I suspect, ie while I can
    lock Unix and Linux boxes down really tightly, I couldnt do the equiv on
    a MS OS.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 30, 2006
  9. thingy

    Stu Fleming Guest

    I was going to ask how much leeway the engineer would have when
    rebuilding the servers :)

    I mean, there's even an incremental upgrade path...first make it dual
    boot Linux, then boot into it, then remove Windows :))

    Stu Fleming, Mar 30, 2006
  10. thingy

    thingy Guest

    lol...the old "win98 or better" argument...

    ;]

    We run about 150 servers, none of the windows ones have has serious
    issues in 2 years, well 2 or 3 have got viruses somehow.....but apart
    from that pretty good really....

    The Linux ones have had none, but that is 35 servers V 110 Windows ones.

    What I have noticed is the Windows ones seem to need rebuilding on a
    regular though un-expected basis....registry lets go and ik dont even
    dare re-booting it....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 30, 2006
  11. thingy

    RJ Guest

    NT can
    Problem is the botnets are 98 machines that cant be
    One more rason to ditch 98 (we are dumping the last of our 98 machines
    in a coupla weeks, yay.)

    RJ, Mar 31, 2006
  12. IOW, they are clueless Windoze morons who think that because you get an
    executable file sent to you from some complete stranger that they should
    immediately run it to see how badly they can infect their computer. They
    should not even be alowed to sit in front of a computer, much less switch
    one on!

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 31, 2006