    stabilization.

    Recommendations from experienced digi cam user?

    thanks

    gt, Dec 24, 2004

  2. gt

    Steve Guest

    Try out the Nikon 8800

    Steve, Dec 24, 2004

  3. gt

    ECM Guest

    Choices for high quality long zoom IS cameras in the fixed lens
    category are limited. Nikon 8800, Konica Minolta A2/A200, Panasonic
    FZ15/20 are all good cameras. I'd lean towards the A200 if I had the
    bucks, the Panasonic FZ20 if I didn't. If I was really on a short
    budget, the Pana FZ3, K-M Z3 and the Canon S1 IS would all be good
    choices. The K-M Z3 would probably be my choice of these because of
    better image resolution and true-er color rendition. If bucks aren't an
    issue, I'd go for a Canon EOS 1DS Mark II and add a Wide Angle EF 24mm
    f/1.4L and a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS to the basic EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
    USM.... should only put me back US$12K or so.....

    ECM, Dec 24, 2004
  5. gt

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Bill Crocker, Dec 24, 2004
  6. gt

    Darrell Guest

    Nikon Coolpix 8800 10X with VR, Minolta (Konica-Minolta) Z3 12X Anti Shake,
    also A1, A2, and A200 all have AS

    Darrell, Dec 24, 2004
  7. gt

    measekite Guest

    There are 3 cameras that you can consider. Two are from Konica Minolta
    and one from Canon.

    The Canon S1 IS is a 10X optical zoom with excellent balance but only
    has 3MP. It costs around $370.00

    The Konica Minolta Z3 is also a well balanced 12X optical zoom and is
    4MP. The cost is around $500.00

    For around $800, the Konica Minolta A2 8MP 12X optical zoom has one of
    the best ratings and a larger sensor than the others in this class.

    All of the above Cameras have image stabilization.

    Due to be release soon is the replacement for the A2, the A200. I do
    not know what the improvements are.

    measekite, Dec 24, 2004
  8. We have the Panasonic FZ20 and are delighted with it. Yes, Nikon have the
    8800, but its lens at maximum aperture is far smaller than the f/2.8 of
    the Panasonic's Leica lens. Canon offer the S1 IS which is cheaper, but
    only 3.2MP.

    You might also want to look through the postings in the newsgroup:

    rec.photo.digital.zlr

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 24, 2004
  9. gt

    Bobsprit Guest

    We have the Panasonic FZ20 and are delighted with it. Yes, Nikon have the
    8800, but its lens at maximum aperture is far smaller than the f/2.8 of
    the Panasonic's Leica lens. >>>

    The attractive Nikon 8800 has low-light focus issues and NO manual focus mode
    that's workable. To make things worse, it's focus assist light range is 5 feet!
    Avoid the 8800 if you expect versatility.

    RB

    Bobsprit, Dec 24, 2004
  10. I just got a great deal on the Panasonic FZ3 after shopping for several
    weeks. It has 12x zoom and image stabilization. It is small and light
    weight and I can easily use it with my one good arm The Leica lens is high
    quality. This is a very cool looking camera, especially with the lens hood
    attached. I've had several people approach me and ask about the camera.

    The deal is at Circuit City for under $300, including a $50 rebate.

    Bob M

    Robert Morrisette, Dec 24, 2004
  11. gt

    Travis Guest

    The Nikon Coolpix 8800 has image stabilazation.

    Travis, Dec 25, 2004