    course)?

    Thanks very much for any advice/URLs, &c.!,

    Adam.

    Dragul, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Dragul

    Mike S. Guest

    In general, Li-Ion cells are designed to be used as needed, without having
    to worry about usage and recharge patterns. When new, especially if they
    have been sitting on the shelf for a while, it is good to do 2 or 3
    complete charge cycles (i.e. run till the camera turns off, then recharge)
    in order to "form" the semi-insulating layer on the anode. Newly manufactured
    cells probably don't even need this, and this process will be accomplished
    anyway with a few charge cycles.

    Motorola testing shows that these cells will deliver the best long-term
    performance if they are topped-off when convenient instead of letting
    them fully discharge before recharge.

    For long-term storage, they are happiest when stored at half-charge (plus
    or minus, depending on actual chemistry). Also be aware that the chemicals
    in a Li-Ion cell have a fixed lifetime of 2-3 years regardless of if/how they
    are used, charged, or stored.

    http://www.motorola.com/ies/ESG/testlab/
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com

    Mike S., Dec 19, 2003