" Longhorn" to christened" Windows Vista"

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Microsoft Explains Windows Vista Name
    By Nate Mook, BetaNews
    July 22, 2005, 2:16 PM
    With the announcement of Longhorn's official name, Microsoft has left many
    users asking: Why Windows Vista? Company representatives told BetaNews that
    Microsoft felt the new version of Windows "deserved a name that was more
    representative of what it specifically brings to customers."

    "Today, we live in a world of 'more' -- more information, more ways to
    communicate, more things to do, more opportunities -- and at the same time,
    more responsibilities. Increasingly, we all turn to our PCs to help us with
    that," a Microsoft spokesperson said. "At the end of the day, what you're
    after is a way to break through all the clutter to focus on what you want to
    focus on, what you need to do. What you're trying to get to is your own
    personal Vista -- whether that is trying to organize photos, or trying to
    find a file or trying to connect and collaborate with a number of people
    electronically."

    John Barnes, Jul 22, 2005

  2. That is pretty much why I upgraded to GeForce 6800 GT cards pretty much all
    around. If that doesn't do it for Aero Glass, too bad. I doubt I will be
    willing to spend another grand for video card upgrades.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 23, 2005

  3. I think it needed to be a less techie sounding name. I have gotten tired of
    years and initials. How many times have we had to explain what "XP" stands
    for? And what do years convey? Nothing concerning vision or quality.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 23, 2005
  4. Illinois or Egypt?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 23, 2005
  5. Anybody besides me tired of the phrase "at the end of the day"?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 23, 2005
  6. Guest

    Neal Guest

    How would I even get into it? I thought I heard it was a program that you
    had to pay for to get into.

    Neal, Jul 23, 2005
  7. Yup, I'm at the Radeon 9600 level right now, with 256Mb on most of my cards.
    That should get me through the beta, By th4 time we're shipping or even in
    RC, I'll look and see whose cards look good. My only requirement is that I be
    able to drive my SGI flat screen monitor with it, and so far that hasn't been
    a problem with the ATIs.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 23, 2005
  8. 9600 will get you through beta 1 for sure because Aero and Aero Glass won't
    show up until beta 2. There is some ambivalence coming out of the Vista
    teams about requirements and about all I have heard is that a 9800 will do
    it for sure and a 9200 apparently will not. They say they will release a
    list of cards for beta 2. That's about all I can say and you probably knew
    it already.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 23, 2005
  9. No beta program is fee-based. You can nominate yourself and you may receive
    an invitation as a result. The program betas are a little different than
    the platform betas like Vista. In the past, the platform betas have been
    oriented more towards developers than consumers so you may have gotten the
    idea that you had to pay from the fact that developers pay for their
    subscriptions to MSDN. They do not pay an additional fee to beta test.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 23, 2005

    Steve Thompson, Jul 23, 2005
  11. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    I found the whole explanation confused, esoteric and boring. Break thru
    what clutter, the desktop?

    John Barnes, Jul 23, 2005
  12. yup. :) If I were buying today, it would be the 9800. But I'm hoping I'll
    sneak in with that 9600 and not have to buy anything new until next year some
    time.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 23, 2005
  13. For technical betas, you can nominate yourself. But if all you want to do is
    run the beta, all indications are that it will be publicly available. You
    won't see every interim build that way (be glad!), but you'll have a chance
    to get familiar with the technology long before it's a shipping product.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 23, 2005
  14. It looks pretty clear that there will be early public downloads of the beta.
    Though from what I know, there's now compelling reason to do it before beta
    2.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 23, 2005
  15. Guest

    roman modic Guest

    http://www.jamesproud.com/index.php?id=49

    Rough List of Current LDDM Cards

    Radeon 9500
    Radeon 9600
    Radeon 9700
    Radeon 9800
    Radeon X800
    nVidia Quadro FX 1100
    nVidia Quadro FX 1000
    nVidia Quadro FX 3000
    nVidia GeForce FX 2000
    nVidia GeForce FX 5100
    nVidia GeForce FX 5200
    nVidia GeForce FX 5500
    nVidia GeForce FX 5600
    nVidia GeForce FX 5700
    nVidia GeForce FX 5800
    nVidia GeForce FX 5900
    nVidia GeForce 6600
    nVidia GeForce 6800
    nVidia GeForce 7800

    HTH, Roman

    roman modic, Jul 23, 2005
  16. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 23, 2005
  17. Yeah, I was getting bored with the Acronyms and numerals myself. I still
    don't know why Microsoft didn't just label Windows 2002 (XP) Windows
    Experiences instead of using the acronym. Windows NT 6.0 Workerstation would
    have been a bit too technical for general public, although my father I used
    it at both work and home years ago. My Zenith GT Workstation is still
    runnning it to this day.

    Lets hope this is start to great future when it comes to naming Windows. I
    can't wait for Windows Caliente.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 23, 2005
  18. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 23, 2005
  19. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 23, 2005
  20. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 23, 2005