    Microsoft have registered the windowsvista.us domain as well.

    Thoughts on the new name???

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Jul 22, 2005

  2. PseUDO

    Allistar Guest

    The term "vista" normally refers to somethine that looks good. Does tis
    imply that the new version introduces more asthetic changes than other
    changes? I haven't paid too much attention to this new version (as I have
    no intention of using it) but it would be interesting to know what the key
    features are (and also whether these features justify a typical
    user/organisation to upgrade).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 22, 2005

  3. PseUDO

    Chris Hope Guest

    Why don't they just call it XP2? It gets confusing if they rename it
    every release.

    I remember when Photoshop CS came out and I was wondering if it was some
    new product, like eg Photo Deluxe which contains some of the Photoshop
    functionality but aimed at digicam users. It turned out that it was
    just the latest release of Photoshop and for some reason they decided
    to start again with the numbering. The most recent release is Photoshop
    CS2.

    Chris Hope, Jul 22, 2005
  4. "XP2" sounds too confusingly like "XP SP2", which is the current release.
    When version numbers get too high, differences between them don't seem
    so great any more. For instance, going from version 9.0 to 10.0 doesn't
    seem as dramatic as going from 1.0 to 2.0

    I thought the way around this would be to have exponentially increasing
    version numbers for uniformly increasing levels of functionality. Or how
    about a Fibonacci series:

    1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 5.0, 8.0, 13.0 ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 22, 2005
  5. The possibility of consumer confusion didn't stop Microsoft naming one
    version of Microsoft Office, "Office XP". The number of people who
    assume that Office XP will only work under XP is truly astounding.

    Steve Marshall, Jul 22, 2005
  6. PseUDO

    Murray Symon Guest

    The marketing people wouldn't let you get away with anything that logical.

    Murray Symon, Jul 22, 2005
  7. Perhaps even intentional...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 22, 2005
  8. PseUDO

    Chris Hope Guest

    Hmm... wasn't that the point?

    Chris Hope, Jul 22, 2005
  9. PseUDO

    Chris Hope Guest

    MS doesn't seem to bother with version numbers for marketing purposes
    anymore anyway, ever since calling Windows after the year numbers
    (followed by XP which really means nothing whatsoever). I'm sure the
    reason is because it just seems too geeky to call something 10.2 or
    whatever.

    Chris Hope, Jul 22, 2005
  10. PseUDO

    PC Guest

    Or confused with 'W'ord, 'W'orks, or 'W'indows for that matter.

    PC

    PC, Jul 22, 2005
  11. PseUDO

    PC Guest

    Mind you during the 'road shows' when XP came out Brett Roberts et al made
    it plain it was version "5.1" of NT.
    So at least the techo's could hold a 'logical' handle on it.

    Paul.

    PC, Jul 22, 2005

  12. Bland ... inoffensive ... soothing ... meaningless ...

    Sounds like a retirement village.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 22, 2005
  13. Nathan Mercer, Jul 22, 2005
  14. PseUDO

    Katipo Guest

    Well put!

    Why not just call it Windows 2006 or, my preference, Windows 6.0 (or what
    ever the version number is)?

    The fancy name is irrelevent. If it was called Windows Pile of Crap enough
    people will still buy it to make Bill Gates another fortune!

    Katipo, Jul 22, 2005
  15. PseUDO

    -=rjh=- Guest

    ROTFL - look up vista at dictionary.com:

    "A distant view or prospect"

    -=rjh=-, Jul 23, 2005
  16. PseUDO

    Mutley Guest

    I don't care what they call it. With all it's DRM stuff in it I won't
    be buying it..

    Mutley, Jul 23, 2005
  17. PseUDO

    Rob J Guest

    It depends on what they are upgrading from, every organisation will
    look at what they have now and whether they need to.

    Since XP will be supported for another five years there is no need for
    XP users to upgrade yet, except maybe software developers. The next
    version might be worthwhile.

    Rob J, Jul 23, 2005
  18. PseUDO

    Rob J Guest

    Office 2000 <-> Windows 2000
    Office 98 <-> Windows 98
    Office 95 <-> Windows 95

    Nothing new there.

    All the individual products under Office XP are called Word2002,
    Powerpoint2002, etc.

    Rob J, Jul 23, 2005
  19. PseUDO

    PAM. Guest

    Tabbed browsing.....that's new :-D

    PAM.

    PAM., Jul 24, 2005
  20. No, no, no. Before we had tabbed browsing. But now we have MICROSOFT
    tabbed browsing. The tabbed browsing market has now been legitimized,
    which means it's OK for corporates to embrace tabbed browsing and roll
    out tabbed-browsing-based applications across their entire organization.
    Whole departments can now go on courses learning how to get tabbed.
    Tabbed is the new windowed.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 25, 2005