Long term project - Osborne Executive Mod

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by bigal, Nov 14, 2005.

?

Should Big Al run for office now?

  1. Like Kerry, he's a legend in his own mind. That qualifies him!

    100.0%
  2. This has gone too far. If he were in office, we shall be doomed.

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Can you imagine his office computer?

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Can you imagine his office restroom? Cold cathodes behind the toilet....

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm sorry. Did you ask me a question?

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Larger is better?

    I thought size didn't matter. Anyway, I'll get some more pictures tonight after I get cracking on the front panel a bit. There's lots of Dremeling to do, for the 5.25" devices and the power / reset switches.

    It sure was fun gaming last night. This machine runs excellent. It's pretty quiet too, with that Artic Cooler GPU cooler in there. The stock nVidia fan was twice as loud.:beer:

    bigal, Dec 29, 2005

  2. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    haha, the desk is like really ready to break.

    If we had wireless everything u would see maybe power arcs :p where the wireless connection is :p

    hey ross i have a suggestion for ur things, get a placic box, u can buy them from crazy clark, and shove everyting in there :) and mount the power supply in it :) i have a 550 watt u could have, i think it still pushes out 12volt but no guartee on it working well :p

    unholy, Dec 30, 2005

  3. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    OR, I could not.

    XhArD, Dec 30, 2005
  4. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Who told you size didn't matter? Oh yeah, that's right, you're married... I guess after a while it doesn't seem to matter anymore. :)

    The Modfather, Dec 30, 2005
  5. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    ? ftw is modfather being on about.

    unholy, Dec 31, 2005
  6. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    He said size doesn't matter.

    9 times out of 10 if a chick tells you that she's lieing.

    The Modfather, Dec 31, 2005
  7. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    But....

    ...my chick doesn't tell me that at all. Why do you think they call me "Big Al"?:)

    By the way, no pictures yet. I had to buy my oldest son a new 2006 Toyota Corolla "S" last night, as his old 1991 Honda Accord finally died.

    Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
    bigal, Dec 31, 2005
  8. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    1991 honda accord. man 1991, that car is younger then me, it should still be living, my sister has a old 1082 Nissian BLUEBIRD :| :| and it still works well, its ready to go bye bye though :|

    hehe Modfather u do have a point but i have never heard those words from a chick before. Or anyone bar u for a fact :p

    unholy, Dec 31, 2005
  9. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    1082? I get the feeling that should probably be 1982 :p Oh yeah? Well I can beat that: My uncle has a 1906 Reo that still runs :p

    And BigAl, you "had to" buy your son a brand spankin' new car? Why? Parents aren't supposed to buy their kids a car EVER, it just spoils them. I knew a guy who got given a Porsche 911 Turbo by his parents, just for graduating Year 12 at school. He crashed it three times within a year, and his dumbass parents paid for the repairs every time.

    XhArD, Dec 31, 2005
  10. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It is DONE!!!!! On time, before the end of 2005!!!

    Oh boy. What a ride this has been. I finished the machine about an hour ago. I am using it right now in my basement, and it is lovely. I think I shall kiss it. Smack. Yep, tastes great, and less filling than a Pentium IV.

    On the car issue, this is an early college graduation gift. He still has 2 years to go, but the old Honda died. We had to do something, and I really don't like buying used cars.

    Oh, you want some pictures??? Here you go....and there's one of my son's new 2006 Corolla S.:beer:

    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
    bigal, Dec 31, 2005
  11. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    cool man. whats replacing the big square hole :)

    unholy, Jan 1, 2006
  12. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well....

    You know, I considered many things. You saw that lumin disc in there (the green lightening display), and I was almost going to start some cutting to make it fit better, but then I stopped. It just didn't look right, fitting a round disk in a rectangular hole. Besides, it was going to block airflow and a good viewing angle to the Zalman CPU cooler fan. I also considered that small Einstein laser-etched window that Hyperkore included with my custom laser-etched window order. I was going to mount that to a indented frame of wire mesh, so it would hang about one inch within the case, and air would be able to flow around it. But putting sufficient light on that was only possible with a big white light module that I had, since I was out of 4" or 6" cold cathodes. LED lighting did not work, as you only got small spot beams and it still wasn't enough light. So that was out too. My ideal solution is an LCD panel, one that can plug right into the VGA port of the built-in graphics. Then, if this works, I would have it display different information than the main screen which is run off the Geforce 7800 GT. I have not found the right LCD for the right price, and so I decided that a nice wire mesh isn't a bad solution at all. At least, it works for now, and I like looking into the case.

    Were you guys surprised by the Cooler Master Musketeer II device? I did a lot of Dremel work to make that fit with the DVD burner. The most work came with the media reader panel. I cut it into two sections, one for the flash media cards, and the second for the USB / firewire ports. You can see the flash media panel in the lower-left corner. My custom brackets took a while to make for this installation. The USB / firewire ports are in the keyboard tray, on the left side. I like this solution quite a bit. Here are some more pictures:

    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
    bigal, Jan 1, 2006
  13. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Nah i was more surprised u still have that monitor on a bowing desk :|

    *Snap*... *Loud roaring and glass smashing*.... *Monitor Flys out the window*

    U know what sucks, i have nothing to mod ATM. i was thinking of making a box computer that sits on my Bedside table and has a portable screen(LCD),

    Oh yer al if u want a LCD, 5" Sony Psone are pretty simple to convert if they are NSTC. or u can just run it through a tvout connection :)

    unholy, Jan 2, 2006
  14. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Nothing to mod? Go and buy another computer, buy a big wooden armoire thing, and wedge computers bits in it. Bolt them to the top and walls, stick neons in it, and you're done :p

    XhArD, Jan 2, 2006
  15. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yes, add some lighting effects...

    ..and you're halfway there. Include an AMD processor, and your 4/5th's there. Include some custom laser-etched windows, and you're totally there dude.:top:

    bigal, Jan 2, 2006
  16. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    nah i am thinking of Fridge Mod... or Server Fridge Mod, were there some sort of quad Compressor like action :)

    Say does anyone know if fridges condensate when theres nothing in them? (the old ones do i know that)

    i think i might just Mod up that lan case i was going to to :)

    unholy, Jan 2, 2006
  17. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    That thing is freakin' sweet Al. I love it. It's got that perfect look of being something from a missle silo or a portible nuke thingy or whaever. You gotta get some nuclear warning stickers or something for the outside of the case now. Or paint 'em on there. I'd paint the outside a nice olive drab or gunmetal gray and slap a nuke sticker on it or something. :)

    The Modfather, Jan 2, 2006
  18. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hmm....

    I'm not sure I want to change the appearance of the Osborne theme. I think it would need the addition of those covered toggle switches, or ideally something that looks like the missle launch switches you see in the movies.

    You know what though? It runs games real nice and purty like. I reacon it is gonna be a right nice gaming machine for the LAN parties!:driver: :mrgreen:

    bigal, Jan 2, 2006
  19. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Sounds and looks like it'd do a good job for that :)

    XhArD, Jan 2, 2006
  20. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    its got a 7800 in it :p of course its a gaming machine :p with a amd x2 to push ti further :)

    unholy, Jan 3, 2006