Long term project - Osborne Executive Mod

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by bigal, Nov 14, 2005.

?

Should Big Al run for office now?

  1. Like Kerry, he's a legend in his own mind. That qualifies him!

    100.0%
  2. This has gone too far. If he were in office, we shall be doomed.

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Can you imagine his office computer?

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Can you imagine his office restroom? Cold cathodes behind the toilet....

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm sorry. Did you ask me a question?

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Only 110 volts???

    I figured it would be thousands of volts, but at very low current. That low voltage surprises me.:redface:

    bigal, Dec 25, 2005

  2. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well yeah, they do require about 10,000 volts for a do it yourself type one but I don't see how it's being done with the ones that just screw into a lightbulb socket.

    Ever held up a flourescent tube to one of those things?

    The Modfather, Dec 26, 2005

  3. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    I have :) It's good fun. Also, cover it with aluminium foil and touch it, it scorches you. You can hardly feel it, but if you move your finger around properly then you can give yourself a temporary burn tatoo :)

    XhArD, Dec 26, 2005
  4. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    lol. how it works is it generates a reasonablely low voltage for household use at a low current (to prevent shock.)
    When something touchs it or a ray is being shot, the arc follows the magnetic field, simalair to the designed Telsa Coil.
    once a electrostatic Arc is generated it can be increased in size without disconnection, this is limited though.
    U could try it, not very hard to do, but very dangerous :p. good fun making little arcs though :)
    It might also use static to generate the arc :)

    This is how lightning works, its just a a real high voltage :) like something within the close to millions :|

    i have to get me a plasma globe :p.

    unholy, Dec 26, 2005
  5. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Anyone ever see that episode of Chris Angel's Mindfreak where he let himself be hit by a Tesla coil at something like 3 million volts?

    I kept sayin', it's not the voltage that'll kill you it's the amperage.

    The Modfather, Dec 27, 2005
  6. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    dam nooblets. he could be hit with something more like 10 billion volts and he could be earthed. so he should technically be fine.

    unholy, Dec 27, 2005
  7. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Technically but, if he has any metal on him he'll get fried, which he did, but he was wearing this rubber suit and stuff. I dunno, seemed lame to me. I prefer it when magicians do MAGIC and leave this extreme stunt crap out of the act. I never liked that silly crap. Oooh, buried alive for 7 days! Whoopie! Oooh, encased in ice for 5 days? Wooo! Bah! Pull rabbits out of your butt, that's all I care about.

    The Modfather, Dec 27, 2005
  8. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    rabbits outa your butt... what about chicks and the other side???? :)

    unholy, Dec 27, 2005
  9. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Laying chicks out his thing? Damn, there's really something wrong with you, man :|

    XhArD, Dec 27, 2005
  10. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    i mean females doing the trick from the front side :p

    unholy, Dec 28, 2005
  11. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Tuesday Evening Update (TEU)

    Well guys (I've given up on the gentlemen part.), I did some work today after going out for a ride in low-40's F weather. The sun was out and there was no fear of rain. Besides, I had to check out my new battery-heated gloves that my spousal unit gave me for Christmas. They worked pretty well, considering they each run on one D-cell battery.

    Anyway, I installed the lighting control switch today. This makes use of the existing lighted switch that I had to figure out the wiring on with a multimeter. Now I can turn the cold cathode lights on and off. I also cleaned up the wiring for the top window cold cathode lights. But before all that happened, last night I swapped out the Geforce 6800 GT from my "printer-to-computer" PC, and put that into my oldest son's machine that was running a Geforce 5600 GT. As you can see below, I decided to move the "printer-to-computer" machine into my workroom, next to the Sun X-Terminal. I use the 4-port KVM switch to control these machines. When working on the bench with a build, I'll only have two out of three machines running, just so I don't draw too much power from the single outlet!

    You might remember that last night at 1AM I crashed my poor Sun X-Terminal to the point that I could not log in at all. Every time I tried to type something, it locked up tight! This was the last straw for that Win XP 64-bit beta install I did last March, so today I wiped the drive and installed a normal 32-bit Win XP. As you can well imagine, I've been spending lots of time installing software and things of this nature. It's not so bad when you are sitting there anyway soldering or cutting the OsbornAgain.:creep:

    One more thing. I forgot to mention that my son's computer had a Cooler Master Aero blower CPU fan. I did the videocard swap, and it was running when I noticed the fan had stopped! I blew it with some compressed air, and it started again. That was enough for me though. I replaced that fan with a more normal 80mm muffin fan, one that lights up real sweet. Check out the larger version of that middle picture to see what I mean. He had a lot of dust in that machine, because he leaves it running 24/7. I should clean it out twice a year to keep it from getting gummed up again.

    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
    bigal, Dec 28, 2005
  12. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Cool Al, very very cool! :)

    The Modfather, Dec 28, 2005
  13. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Love that fan, the rest is just okay... :p

    XhArD, Dec 28, 2005
  14. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Fan?

    You mean the Zalman cooler fan? Or do you mean the blue fan / green fan grill combo in my son's black computer? I guess either way you like the fan.

    Here's a few pictures from tonight's gaming event. We had six people playing Call of Duty 2, and I set OsbornAgain up for playing even though it's still only about 2/3 complete. I have to figure out how I want my front panel to look, including the center section. I now have it configured so that one lighted switch controls all the lights in the machine, and the two cold cathodes taped to the edge of the glass table.

    You can really see how that computer desk on the right is sagging a bit - from the 21" CRT. When those glass table / desks go on sale again at Staples, I might buy another set. And don't give me a hard time about the wires. I plan on hiding those before I'm through.:lollypop:

    [​IMG][​IMG]

    bigal, Dec 29, 2005
  15. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Give you a hard time about the wires? :| My computer isn't quite so bad, but don't you remember the photo of my sub amp and the power board thing it's plugged into?

    [​IMG]

    XhArD, Dec 29, 2005
  16. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yes...

    ...now I do. That picture is much better too. The last one was way too small. You gonna wrap those wires?:hmm2:

    bigal, Dec 29, 2005
  17. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    I'd wrap them, but I move some of the stuff plugged in there around a fair bit, so it would be more of a nuisance than it would be worth.

    XhArD, Dec 29, 2005
  18. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could have wireless everything? God that'e be so cool. No wires, anywhere! Yeah! :)

    Lookin' real good there Al... Can you get a pic of the front, dead on, of the Osborne that's larger, just the front, as clear as possible and large?

    The Modfather, Dec 29, 2005
  19. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    You forgot to mention it has to be larger :p

    XhArD, Dec 29, 2005
  20. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined: