Long term project - Osborne Executive Mod

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by bigal, Nov 14, 2005.

?

Should Big Al run for office now?

  1. Like Kerry, he's a legend in his own mind. That qualifies him!

    100.0%
  2. This has gone too far. If he were in office, we shall be doomed.

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Can you imagine his office computer?

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Can you imagine his office restroom? Cold cathodes behind the toilet....

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm sorry. Did you ask me a question?

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Seems to be getting there Al...

    My concern with moduler PSU's isn't just with the XConnect, I've read some reviews that talk about the whole design being faulty. Wish I could remember what issues and which magazines so I could tell ya where to look it up. But the jist of it was that because they are modular, you lose efficency. Of course it was more detailed than that. :)

    The Modfather, Dec 19, 2005

  2. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    pins being resistant to conducting electrons?

    unholy, Dec 19, 2005

  3. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    No, eet iz not ze fault of La Resistance! Viv La Resistance!

    The Modfather, Dec 19, 2005
  4. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Oh well...

    .....I'm not changing out this PSU, as it works well with my setup and it's efficiency rating was above average. You should check the efficiency ratings on PSU's to see how many fall down around 70%; getting one above 80% (like this one) means you save on your power bills over time. Gaming time, that is!:horse:

    bigal, Dec 19, 2005
  5. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    What ever you do, remember APFC psu's dont come with fuses :|

    unholy, Dec 20, 2005
  6. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    How about...

    ....circuit breakers? In fact, how about automatically resetting circuit breakers?

    bigal, Dec 20, 2005
  7. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Isn't an automatically resetting circuit breaker kinda like a penny in the fuse box? <smirk>...

    Well, anyway, it looks cool and if it works that's what counts. :)

    The Modfather, Dec 20, 2005
  8. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Fuses are Cheaper, i got 6 for 2 bucks. but curcit breakers would be more practical :D, cause they have a Fast Blow Cut, not like a fuse how it just blows. But a lot more expensive. i have a few 100A Curcuit breakers need one :p go to radio shack if u want one seriously i would if i was ocing a PSU :D as in overcooking :D

    unholy, Dec 20, 2005
  9. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    My house has circuit breakers, that's usually enough, I never blew a fuse in my life. (knock wood)

    The Modfather, Dec 20, 2005
  10. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    PSU and you...

    Have you ever been connecting a power lead with the system running, and inadvertently shorted a couple of pins? I have, and it immediately shut down the system (via PSU overcurrent protection). You then have to unplug the PSU and wait a minute before plugging it back in and what do you know, the PSU works again and the system boots up. That is an automatic safety function built into the PSU. It is not a fuse, and no fuse blew. The house circuit breaker switch did not activate. Your modern PSU is designed to do this.

    So I am not worried about adding in a fuse to a normal build. If I were adding on non-normal loads to push the PSU to the maximum output, then I would add some safety devices to protect against drawing too much current for my add-on devices.:bandit:

    bigal, Dec 20, 2005
  11. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    ahh its not a Voltage fuse... thats where ur getting it wrong

    its a overcurrent. And rated at what ever voltage can travel through at 0 resistance :|

    unholy, Dec 20, 2005
  12. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    But...

    PSU's have over-voltage protection too. Thing is, you are much more likely to get an over-current situation (from a short) than an over-voltage situation, operating in a normal manner. I suppose if you are running off 240V house supply, and you set a PSU to 125V, you could have a problem. But it should protect itself. Like the Alien monster, only the PSU doesn't spit out acid.

    bigal, Dec 21, 2005
  13. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    i still say, for areas like here, Curcuit Breakers and Surge Protectors should be inside :)

    unholy, Dec 21, 2005
  14. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    For areas like there I think you need to have pig manure factories to make your energy from the methane. And you need midgets with big dumb guys carrying them around and Tina Turner to run the place. :)

    The Modfather, Dec 21, 2005
  15. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    whos tina turner? no i think prime minster john howard is enough, lets not go to the extreme.

    unholy, Dec 22, 2005
  16. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm not gonna tell you this again, go watch Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, it'll explain EVERY SINGLE ONE of my references to Australia as the Mad Max movies are the most I've ever known about your country, short of like all that Croc crap. :)

    The Modfather, Dec 22, 2005
  17. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I can't believe...

    .....they don't know Mad Max. That series was one of my favorites! I loved those cars in the movie Mad Max. Mel Gibson was one of my favorite actors until Braveheart. I can't watch that movie all the way through due to the scene where they slit the guys belly open.:vroam:

    bigal, Dec 22, 2005
  18. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Gore gets to you eh? Hehe, don't watch the Devil's Rejects then. :)

    Yeah, I guess they've been shielded from the Mad Max movies so they don't realize how they're looking to the rest of the world.

    I remember when they first came out over here, we all thought the Road Warrior was the first film and Mad Max was the second, but they got released in the U.S. out of order.

    Ever notice how some actors make some good films when they get started but they're not big Hollywood hits or "Oscar contenders" then the actors get all full of themselves and start doing only crappy stuff that appeals to the Academy? (Like The Passion for example) or, say, take Harrison Ford as another example. Goes from being Han Solo to Indiana Jones to a bunch of froofy roles. Ugh!

    The Modfather, Dec 22, 2005
  19. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    We do know Mad Max. There's just nothing special about it.

    XhArD, Dec 22, 2005
  20. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Harrison Ford...

    ...did a bunch of great movies. Even some "chick flick" types, like the one where he's accused of killing his wife (presumed innocent?). Raider's of the lost arc was excellent. I'm not much of a star wars fan though. That series just got too silly.

    bigal, Dec 22, 2005