Long term project - Osborne Executive Mod

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by bigal, Nov 14, 2005.

?

Should Big Al run for office now?

  1. Like Kerry, he's a legend in his own mind. That qualifies him!

    100.0%
  2. This has gone too far. If he were in office, we shall be doomed.

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Can you imagine his office computer?

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Can you imagine his office restroom? Cold cathodes behind the toilet....

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm sorry. Did you ask me a question?

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sure, throw a couple of dual core procs in there too. And a dual GPU Asus 7800 GTX also.

    The Modfather, Dec 13, 2005

  2. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hey....

    ....maybe these ideas should be in the poll that nobody is answering. Anyway, I suppose a clear keyboard could be laid on top of the AMD logo, if nothing but for the looks during a photo shoot. Maybe if this machine becomes top pick in one of those contests, I'll give that idea a try.

    Speaking of contests, when I am through building the OsbornAgain, I might need some ideas on the best way to document it. Did you guys like my documentation for the "Printer-to-Computer" (http://www.bigal-computers.net/bigal/MaximumPC Submittal 02-04.pdf), "Printer-to-Computer-Deja-Vu" (http://www.bigal-computers.net/bigal/Printer-to-computer-deja-vu-final-build.pdf), and "Sun X-Terminal" (http://www.bigal-computers.net/bigal/Sun-X-Terminal-Mod-June-2005.pdf)? If not, what do you suggest?

    bigal, Dec 13, 2005

  3. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    they are all good :D

    unholy, Dec 14, 2005
  4. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah, looks good to me, and you can always post a worklog on Infinity too.

    The Modfather, Dec 14, 2005
  5. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    yer like i will be doing when i get this video card for my VCR mod :D

    unholy, Dec 14, 2005
  6. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah, when you do that, in 2027. :)

    The Modfather, Dec 14, 2005
  7. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Hey, I reckon he's not doing too bad actually. The video card is the only remaining part innit Unholy?

    XhArD, Dec 14, 2005
  8. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Thanks for the feedback...

    ....I guess I'll continue to discuss design issues and how they were resolved, along with posting relevant pictures in the final documentation. You know, this type of documentation takes quite a bit of effort - it's more like writing several reviews at one time. It could actually take a week to crank it out, and that's a week I could be gaming on the machine!

    By the way, any ideas for more items I can place into the keyboard tray? There isn't much height available, and it's also not big enough for an optical drive. Maybe a zip-100 drive or a floppy drive would fit in there, but that would require a long floppy cable to the motherboard. I wonder if I can fit a Cooler Master Aerogate I fan controller in there? Again, lots of wires would go out to the main chassis. Since you can see the hard drive below the AMD logo window, I think you'll also see a mass of wires from a fan controller too.:hmm2:

    bigal, Dec 14, 2005
  9. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Since you're calling this thing Osbornagain, maybe you should get a plastic Jesus to put on it somewhere. Espescially cool would be a Buddy Christ. :)

    The Modfather, Dec 14, 2005
  10. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    How about...

    ....some people on their knees, paying homage to the all-mighty machine? Like in the old movies about the lost civilizations. I could even have an Intel Pentium IV sacrifice occuring, where the lid gets pried up and the bond wires snipped!!!:knuddel:

    bigal, Dec 14, 2005
  11. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    that would make the mod, a SUPER SWEET, EXTRA POWERFUL AMD MONSTER :D... and intel dies once again :p

    unholy, Dec 14, 2005
  12. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    That might be cool... Or have Jesus dueling it out with Ozzy. :)

    The Modfather, Dec 15, 2005
  13. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    jesus dueling ozzy... lets not move to the religion topic. cause everyone knows jesus would loose :p

    have a look for old Celery chips on ebay :D buy a couple and when u go to massive lan, show the mods intel sacrificing :D make it mealt the core :D figure out the power pin and go from there :D

    unholy, Dec 17, 2005
  14. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    What's a celery chip? Oh, Celeron, yeah, ok. :)

    "Mealt the core"???

    Hehe.

    The Modfather, Dec 17, 2005
  15. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    just a mistake i couldn't be bothered fixing i am too tried :p

    go the celery's. xhard was planning on getting one, but i brain washed him well sorta he always thought amd rocked, but he thought they were expensive silly boy :p AGP still has the edge after all gigabyte still have their PCI-E 16x lan, down to AGP 8x chips. And the video cards dont even use the full 16x lanes anyways. :| just spread the speed of 8x over 16x :D

    unholy, Dec 17, 2005
  16. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Work progressing smoothly...

    Today I've been working on final placement of the motherboard, PSU, and optical drive. I have settled on my orignal layout - PSU on far right, motherboard in the middle, and the DVD burner in the normal housing from the previous floppy drives. The fit is really tight, especially with that Artic Cooler installed on the Geforce 7800 GT. Anyway, here are some pictures of the PSU mounting bracket scheme I devised.:bowl:

    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    bigal, Dec 17, 2005
  17. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    cool, i wanna see inside witheverything placed :D:D

    unholy, Dec 18, 2005
  18. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    You're using a modular PSU? I've heard bad things about those things. Good idea but bad in use, you lose power and have other problems with those puppies. I wanted an X-Connect until I read a few reviews that pointed out the flaws so I got the PCP&C beast instead.

    The Modfather, Dec 18, 2005
  19. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I agree with your concern about X-connect...

    ....but I'm using an Enermax Liberty 500 Watt PSU that was rated quite well. It has good efficiency, active power factor correction, and solid 12-volt rails. Just because it's modular doesn't make it a bad PSU - unused lines and connectors still attached to your PSU don't change anything regarding loading. I'm very happy with my choice. :cheers:

    bigal, Dec 18, 2005
  20. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Good things come to those that wait...

    That's gonna be a while yet. Last night I assembled it and found that I have just a 1/4" between the videocard fan hub and the Osborne front panel tray that is underneath the optical drive. It should work, but I don't like having things that close.

    Remember, this is a holiday project. The holiday hasn't technically started yet.:drky2:

    Oh, wait a minute. I just did a quick assembly tonight to check some clearances after cutting a hole in the bottom of the case to allow the SATA and power cables come in from the keyboard unit. The pencil in the first drawing is where I cut the hole. I forgot to take a picture after finishing the hole. Do these pictures fit the bill?

    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
    bigal, Dec 18, 2005