Long term project - Osborne Executive Mod

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by bigal, Nov 14, 2005.

?

Should Big Al run for office now?

  1. Like Kerry, he's a legend in his own mind. That qualifies him!

    100.0%
  2. This has gone too far. If he were in office, we shall be doomed.

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Can you imagine his office computer?

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Can you imagine his office restroom? Cold cathodes behind the toilet....

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm sorry. Did you ask me a question?

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    whats a floppy drive. :|

    oh yer al i just noticed u had a 3800+ i thought the cores ran at 1800mhz each not 2000mhz. and ur multipliers are at 10, 10 :| FSB/HTT is normally 5 unless its working at DRR level?

    unholy, Dec 1, 2005

  2. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Everything...

    ...is at stock settings right now. I have the dual-core CPU, so maybe you are thinking about the single-core 3800+. To tell you the truth, I need to learn more about over-clocking the Athlon 64 series. A user's guide would sure help me. There are several settings I have access to in this BIOS, but my immediate concern is how to enable SATA2 features. I thought there was an updated BIOS for download, but the Asus Update tool didn't find a newer one (I have 0403). Can anybody help me figure out the SATA2 trick? I know it's not enabled by default, and I just don't see it anywhere in the BIOS I currently have running.

    bigal, Dec 1, 2005

  3. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    ok first with SATA 2 u need a Sata2 HDD, u cant just have a Sata.... then u should be able to enable it somwhere in the same menu as ide and raid config settings.

    Like mine the on Chipset Sata is controlled through the genie BIOS which is different to ur's so i am not 100% sure.

    Hes a quick run down on the AMD64 ocing.

    Step One:

    the FSB.

    Well it does the same thing. as it would on a Intel or a old Socket A
    its controlled by one variable now. known as the cpu frequency in most mobo's. Really the FSB is a link, AMD calls their Version Hyper Transport ... See below for more :D

    the HTT or LDT

    Hyper transport is basicly the FSB, sorta, well its the thing that communicated between the gcard, the chipset the ram and the cpu, even though the ram it bridged through the CPU. This can be raised or lower via the CPU Freq, and can be controlled seperatly by the HTT/LDT Multiplier.

    Multiplier is default to 5x. reason? 5x stock hz is 5x200 = 1000 mhz, and because we work ddr we get 2000mhz FSB :D

    Ram

    There is only one way to limit it, drop it down to DDR333 + CPU Freq and all the other CPU:RAM Ratios like DDR100

    DDR Ram?

    DDR = Double Date Rate right? so its double the speed :D( not theorically but IS.

    so to get ur FSB or Ram freq's then its DDR or x2.

    CPU

    It has a Multiplier too, but it cant go above the limited one, for instance u have a AMD 64 X2 rated at 2ghz. 10x multiplier, u cant go higher then 10x, but u can go all the way back to 1. which is pretty usful but then again the cpu is usally unstable at 1x or 2x for that matter.

    Multiplier starts at 1x and goes to CPU Max (aka for u 10x)

    Chipset

    It hasn't got anything bar Voltage changing as far as i know. :| cause it really doesn't handle load.
    (not 100% sure because i cant look at my bios and i have oced in a little while)

    So theres ur run down.

    Hes some Examples...

    Say u want to OC your ram but u dont want to OC ur CPU or HTT

    Raise your Freq to say 250 or sumthing.
    Drop your CPU Multiplier to say 8x
    Drop you HTT to say 4x

    FSB Mhz = 4x250 = 1000 * DDR = 2000 (which is stock)
    CPU Mhz = 8x250 = 2000
    Ram = 250 * DDR = 500 (which is DDR500)

    example 2

    u want to OC your CPU and nothing else

    well this is a tricky one some mobos dont allow ram ratio changes.
    CPU:Ram is the ratio
    ram ratio from 1:1 to 1:2
    CPU to 300mhz
    HTT to What thats not stock????? well some mobos allow +.5x settings, so to get it as close as possible we can use 3.5x otherwise u can under clock or over clock with 3x or 4x

    Ram Freq = 300 * Ratio(1:2 or 1/2 or 0.5) = 150 * DDR = 300, see so its under clocked. lets see if we can change that :D

    To get the choice, Option (eg DDR 266) * (CPU * 2) = Ram mhz wanted
    now subsitute in vars.
    R * 600= 400
    R = 400 / 600
    R = 4:6
    or
    4/6 * 200 = ~133 * DDR = ~266
    So the closest ratio would be DDR266

    then we use DDR 266 instead of DDR200
    Ram Freq = 300 * DDR266(4/6) = 200 * DDR = 400 mhz
    CPU Freq = 300 * 10x = 3000mhz (if u used the 10x multiplier)
    HTT = 300 * 3.5x = 1050 * DDR = 2100 mhz

    see why OCing on 64's is quite advanced :p

    Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
    unholy, Dec 3, 2005
  4. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    ...er.....

    ....thanks, I think. I know general overclocking stuff, like FSB and CPU multiplier. There are some new items in the Athlon 64 bios, and those need more research. I do have a Sata 2 hard drive (3.0 GB), and I know this motherboard supports that. I just can't figure out how to enable that feature.

    Anyway, I'll be looking into this overclocking stuff around Christmas time.

    bigal, Dec 4, 2005
  5. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Big Al's been working today!

    And progress has been made on the Osbornagain keyboard. I've got one of my new laser-etched windows installed, and right now I'm working on installing a 50mm fan into the keyboard base so I can place my hard drive in there with proper cooling.

    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    bigal, Dec 11, 2005
  6. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    sweet AMD symbol.

    If u dont know how to enable sata 2, make sure u check the mobo manual, sometimes it tell's u what to do :D

    unholy, Dec 11, 2005
  7. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I checked it out...

    ...and I found nothing there. I know the secret is somewhere. Maybe it's in some bios download I don't know about yet. I haven't flashed the bios yet, 'cause I need to get these windows installed. Right now I'm making the brackets that will hold that Sata2 bad boy in the keyboard tray.:five:

    bigal, Dec 11, 2005
  8. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    That's confusing, it looks cool but, where's the keyboard go?

    The Modfather, Dec 11, 2005
  9. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Keyboard logic 101...........

    The old keyboard goes where you now see the AMD laser-etched window. The new keyboard (the one that I use) will be plugged into the back and it will sit in the desk tray on the computer desk. The case/keyboard assembly will sit on the table, and they will be tied together by power and SATA cables.

    bigal, Dec 11, 2005
  10. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    sounds like its all coming together :D

    unholy, Dec 11, 2005
  11. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Moving along, but not for long...

    I needed to progress to this point quickly so I can get working on the Hyperkore laser-etch window review. I'll be slowing down again until the holidays are closer. You know, I've only written 5 holiday cards so far. That's becoming a top priority.

    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    bigal, Dec 12, 2005
  12. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Mad lookin so far, gonna be even cooler when it's finished :)

    XhArD, Dec 12, 2005
  13. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Mad?

    :santa:
    No, you've got it all wrong. This is a happy computer, not a mad one!

    bigal, Dec 12, 2005
  14. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Lookin' awesome... I'm still not sure I understand about the keyboard, if you put a keyboard where the AMD logo is, it'll cover the logo won't it? <Shrug>

    The Modfather, Dec 12, 2005
  15. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No keyboard next to the computer...

    The old keyboard is gone. The AMD logo took it's place. The computer/AMD logo keyboard tray will sit on a table. The monitor / keyboard / mouse will be on a separate table (workstation). Treat the OsbornAgain like a complete computer case. I'll plug my keyboard in the back, where the PS/2 port is.:p

    bigal, Dec 12, 2005
  16. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    u can sit the keyboard on the amd logo is what he is saying :p

    nice mod al :D u wanna see it finished :D

    unholy, Dec 12, 2005
  17. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    AH! NOW I get it. Hmmm, use a clear keyboard Al, then you can see the logo through it, several places sell clear keyboards that don't totally suck.

    The Modfather, Dec 12, 2005
  18. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ugh.

    No keyboard sits on top of the AMD logo. No keyboard sits where the old one was. The real keyboard is at the workstation table. You do not sit right in front of this machine anymore. It's off to the left side, sitting there and looking sweet. You are next to it, on the right side. You sit in front of the monitor with your keyboard and mouse. I can't be any more clear than that!:stickyma:

    bigal, Dec 12, 2005
  19. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah but, dude, you COULD put a clear keyboard on there, that's all I'm sayin', ya know? I'm just sayin'.

    Or a really big LCD display and run LCDStudio on it. :)

    The Modfather, Dec 12, 2005
  20. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    dual computer, 1 renders movies, and spectates CSS games and soforth, and displays on the little LCD :D

    unholy, Dec 13, 2005