Long term project - Osborne Executive Mod

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by bigal, Nov 14, 2005.

?

Should Big Al run for office now?

  1. Like Kerry, he's a legend in his own mind. That qualifies him!

    100.0%
  2. This has gone too far. If he were in office, we shall be doomed.

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Can you imagine his office computer?

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Can you imagine his office restroom? Cold cathodes behind the toilet....

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm sorry. Did you ask me a question?

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Some parts have arrived....

    ...not to make you guys jealous or anything, but I've had a few deliveries these past two days. Today's package took a beating inside, mostly because there was a PSU in the package with my RAM and CPU! Maybe I should have ordered those separately. Anyway, I think the parts survived the ordeal.

    New parts for this project now on my workbench:

    PSU = Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT
    CPU = AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (socket 939)
    Memory = Corsair 2 X 1 GB XMS 3200 c2 (2 GB total memory)
    Hard drive = Hitachi HD250G 250GB SATA2 NCQ
    DVD Burner = Plextor PX-740A
    Videocard = BFG 7800 GT OC

    My motherboard is due in on Friday, 11-25-05. It is the Asus A8N-VM-CSM. The CPU cooler comes along in that package too, it's the Zalman CNPS9500 LED cooler.

    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    bigal, Nov 24, 2005

  2. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Aww, for me? You shouldn't have! :)

    Anyway, damn dude, nice haul!

    The Modfather, Nov 24, 2005

  3. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Thank you.

    Yes, it's fun spending money. I can hardly wait for the credit card bills to arrive. Here are a few more pictures. You can see the CPU box took a big hit in transit.:bandit:

    [​IMG][​IMG]

    bigal, Nov 25, 2005
  4. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ouch! Hope it still works. :)

    Credit card bills, yeah, I remember those. They were fun to ignore. :)

    The Modfather, Nov 25, 2005
  5. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'll find out soon.

    I'll be assembling the motherboard on the bench, hopefully before the weekend is over. My motherboard and CPU cooler arrived today, just before we left to see a Shakesphere play titled, "Much Ado About Nothing". It was interesting, but not as good as gaming! I've just finished mounting a Zalman Northbridge cooler I had in stock on to the built-in Geforce 6 GPU on the motherboard. From experience, I know these babies get hot when you are using them, and I hope to use this one to run the internal LCD, if I get one that is.

    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    bigal, Nov 26, 2005
  6. bigal

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    The jealousy grows...

    Silverstrand, Nov 26, 2005
  7. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    You said it Silver one. Yeesh! Can't wait to see the project though.

    The Modfather, Nov 26, 2005
  8. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Hate to break it to u al but ummm the only that thats going to keep cool is the video card, theres no northbridges on AMD 64 mobos u know why? theres no need for a external memory controller :p

    Man i am so jealous i want to steal your gear :D

    unholy, Nov 26, 2005
  9. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah, he said, he installed it on the GPU. I have a funny feeling he knows there's no northbridge to install it on, considering he installed it. :)

    The Modfather, Nov 26, 2005
  10. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Only one problem...

    ...the Zalman cooler is pretty tall. I installed the PCI-express BFG 7800 GT videocard last night and it just clears the Zalman cooler on the side, but if I try to install any PCI cards (like a soundcard), the tall Zalman cooler will be in the way. So, if I do need to install other PCI devices down the road, I may either swap this out for a low-profile fan cooler (Cooler Master makes a good one), or I could cut it a bit to provide room for a card to pass overhead. We'll see how this works out. The motherboard has tons of built-in features, but I was thinking about using :itsme: a Soundblaster Audigy ZS card that I have in my stock.

    Hey, I have a name in mind for this machine. How about "Osbornagain" ?

    Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
    bigal, Nov 26, 2005
  11. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    HA! That's perfect, that name I mean...

    I wouldn't cut that thing, they're pretty much built to maximize efficency, you'd likely do better to go with a lower profile cooler in that case. But it'd be a shame, Zalman is so good.

    The Modfather, Nov 26, 2005
  12. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's only money...

    ....figures I would have the Zalman northbridge cooler in stock, and it's gonna block the PCI slots for long cards. However, I don't really need to add in that soundcard, so maybe I'll see how the built-in sound "sounds" with my Klipsch 4.1 speakers when it's up and running.:cool:

    bigal, Nov 26, 2005
  13. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    hehe your getting somewhere al :D

    unholy, Nov 27, 2005
  14. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Does the mobo have 7.1 sound on board? If so, those onboard sound systems aren't half bad. Only the XFi can really top 'em these days.

    The Modfather, Nov 27, 2005
  15. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'll need to check...

    ....the sound capability. Oh wait a minute, it's a 5.1 (Soundmax ADI AD1986A). I was busy today, riding the bike (it was above 50F, so I braved the cold), going grocery shopping, going out to dinner, and doing laundry. I just started setting up my parts on the work bench to make sure everything works. Of course, I forgot to connect switches, since they weren't just laying there from a case that I don't have. Remember, this is going into the Osborne Executive case, once I mod the *ell out of it. Anyway, I did have a package of ATX switches, so I installed them and powered it up. It's formatting about 130 GB of the SATA2 drive as I write this. I'll format the rest later after Windows XP installs. It's going to be past midnight before I can shut this down and go to bed...

    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
    bigal, Nov 28, 2005
  16. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    hehe i hate formating so i take the easy way and go Quick Format :D

    Nice setup there al, i wonder if ur awake at 12:10am??? i might take it then :D

    might i ask why u are using a microAtx? i thought u could fit a ATX into the osbourne

    unholy, Nov 28, 2005
  17. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Boy, I'm tired this morning...

    ...and yet I'm formatting the remaining 100+ GB of the drive as I write this (on another system, of course). You should always do a low-level full format the first time you use a drive Unholy. From then on, you can do the quick format. This ensures the drive is fully functional and I believe it minimizes the chance of problems down the road.

    The micro-atx size was necessary because the PSU will be right next to the motherboard, and on the other side I'll have very little room for other devices. A full-size atx would fit, but would also take away any hope of having enough room on the left side. Space will be very tight in this case. I think I'll only have room for one optical drive (top 5.25" bay), and a short device will be in the bottom 5.25" hole (like a media reader) to clear the videocard below it.

    bigal, Nov 28, 2005
  18. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yes, media reader, no bloody floppy drives, they're so last millennium. :)

    Formatting, hehehe... I can remember when it'd take 20 mins to format a 5 1/4" floppy disk. :)

    The Modfather, Nov 28, 2005
  19. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No floppy drive for me this time!

    I actually looked around for a spare floppy drive. I found two zip-100 drives, but no floppy. In one of my pictures, you can see I had a floppy cable connected to the motherboard. I guess this is a sign that I am finished with floppy drives. The ones with built-in media readers were cool though.:p

    bigal, Nov 29, 2005
  20. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    I haven't actually used a floppy in over 8 years, probably longer like 10. I don't think I own a floppy disk anymore.

    The Modfather, Nov 29, 2005