    **********
    Check out the blog of my 9 week Germany adventure at www.blurty.com/users/jholm
    http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm

    Juliana L Holm, Jul 15, 2005

  2. Juliana L Holm

    Dimitris M Guest

    Hi Julie

    There are some solutions, the best of them are either expensive, either
    heavy.

    I use the "heavy" solution. I travel with my laptop, so every night I empty
    my "memories" there (and I have more than 3 Gb flash cards).

    The best but expensive solution is to buy a portable hard disk with the
    appropriate interface. IPod have a model that can download photos and have a
    monitor also, but I believe that it may be in the 400-500 euro. As far as I
    know, there is no solution of this type under 300 euros. Nikon also have a
    nice solution that have USB2 and CF ports. Other cards can be served via
    adaptors to CF (Compact Flash)
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04012802nikoncoolwalker.asp
    http://www.pictureline.com/images/pdf/coolwalker_2p.pdf
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/oct/16ipod.html

    If you not take to many photos, you can buy more cards, especially if your
    Camedia can accept CF cards that are not so expensive as xD. CF 2Gb costs
    under 180 euros an can hold about 800 photos of 7Mpix of the best quality.

    If you look for the cheapest way, this is to take your card to a digital
    minilab and ask to transfer your photos to a CD, so that way you can empty
    your card when needed.

    Dimitris M, Jul 15, 2005

  3. I already have a 40 GB iPod photo. It has no interface that I know of
    for my camera, but that may be my best option.

    Has anyone used an iPod to store photos in this way>

    Thanks Dimitris,

    Julie

    --
    Julie
    **********

    Juliana L Holm, Jul 15, 2005
  4. This unit should do it.

    http://www.phidong.com/archives/000405.php

    http://www.compactdrive.com/product.php?p=specs

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Jul 15, 2005
  5. Juliana L Holm

    Dimitris M Guest

    Julie,

    I have search for cheap alternatives and I have found this: http://www.pixomedia.de/

    Click on ¡°Instant Musik disk¡± This product is that exactly I wanted and thanks to You I have make a small research in the net and I found it. So I will go tomorrow morning to buy it. It costs with 40Gb only 198 euros

    http://www.katerelos.gr/product_info.php?products_id=877&osCsid=d8f9cf06a4c55fdcd16f03be29c9f7ea

    and without disk it costs around 86 euros (I already have a spare disk from the upgrade of my laptop)

    http://www.media-store24.de/artikel/Pixo_Instant_Disk_ohne_Festplatte_te-726563.html

    As you can see it is compatible with all kind of memory cards.

    As for the iPod, unfortunately, the policy of Apple is that. They prefer to sell separate interfaces for each brand (for Nikon have already one for 30 euros), instead to have one generic memory card interface. That is nor fair. Anyway, is a matter of time to introduce an Olympus adapter.

    Regards.

    --
    Dimitris M

    ¥Ï "Juliana L Holm" news:db8skk$2hr0$...

    Dimitris M, Jul 15, 2005
  6. Juliana L Holm

    Dimitris M Guest

    As I see now, there is a solution for iPod. Read the article I have send you
    before
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/oct/16ipod.html for "Belkin Media
    Reader". Even if the reader does not directly support xD, there are xD to CF
    adapters in the market.

    Dimitris M, Jul 15, 2005
  7. Juliana L Holm

    Pb Guest

    There is also ....

    http://www.vosonic.co.uk/

    which are at the lower end of the pricing scale whilst still offering an xD
    card reader for Olympus (quite rare, I think). I was thinking of getting one
    myself - let me know what you think of them if you buy one <g>.

    --
    Paul ============}
    o o

    // Live fast, die old //
    PaulsPages and galleries are at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pcbradley/

    Pb, Jul 15, 2005
  8. Thanks, Dimitris,

    Also the iPod has a USB interface, and the Camedia has a USB cable. I have
    read that the transfer pretty much totally exhauts both camera and iPod.

    I'm going to try the iPod first, but I am keeping the info on other options
    for myself in case it proves less than ideal. I don't leave till September
    29, so I have some time to work this out.

    I thank everyone who responded.

    Julie

    --
    Julie
    **********

    Juliana L Holm, Jul 15, 2005
  9. Juliana L Holm

    Dimitris M Guest

    Also the iPod has a USB interface, and the Camedia has a USB cable. I
    have
    Julie, the USB interface of iPod is TO the PC. Also the Camedia interface is
    TO the PC. I don't believe that 2 USB apparatus can be connected in between.
    So be careful.

    Regards.

    Dimitris M, Jul 15, 2005
  10. Juliana L Holm

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Apple also makes a thing called the iPod Camera Connector, which serves
    this function. It's basically a USB port for your iPod which will
    connect to your media reader or camera.

    Unfortunately (for me, at least), it can't deal with RAW files, and
    might not even transfer them for storage. I can't find any information
    one way or the other on this.

    Paul Mitchum, Jul 16, 2005
  11. Juliana L Holm

    Dimitris M Guest

    Dimitris M, Jul 16, 2005
  12. Juliana L Holm

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I am not sure that current media is adequate for the extended time you
    will be on your trip. Germany is well equipped with places to copy your
    flash card data to CD's, which you can then either carry with you, or
    mail home.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 16, 2005
  13. Juliana L Holm

    Bill Funk Guest

    I'm curious about what you mean here.
    What media won't hold pictures for a few weeks?
    Or are you saying none are big enough to hold a few weeks' worth of
    photos?

    Bill Funk, Jul 16, 2005
  14. Juliana L Holm

    Bob Haar Guest

    Apple sells a device called the iPod Camera Connector that allows transfers
    from a digital camera directly to the iPod through a USB cable. It does
    require that both deices be powered on for the transfer so it can use up the
    battery charge. See http://www.apple.com/ipod/color/accessories.html for
    more info. At $29.00, it is reasonably priced.

    Belkin also has an iPod accessory called the Media Reader that allows
    transfer from a memory card into the iPod. That may be more convenient in
    that it does not tie up the camera during the transfer.

    Bob Haar, Jul 16, 2005
  15. As my pics are 4 megapixels most of the time, I think my 30 GB iPod will do it
    (my music library and existing home photos take up only about 5 GB of the drive)

    Julie

    This is an option, too.
    --
    Julie
    **********

    Juliana L Holm, Jul 18, 2005
  16. This is what I ordered. I'm not a professional photographer, and I use a
    4 megapixel camera and jpg format right now. (when I replace my film SLR with
    a digital SLR I'll worry about raw formats, but now when I'm taking a "big"
    picture, I use the film camera.)

    I read some reviews and the only bad thing they said about it was that it eats
    a lot of battery from both the iPod and the Camera. I have a spare camera
    battery and can live without the iPod for a while, so I think it will work
    for me, the card reader had some other issues, per the reviews.

    I will let you all know what I think.

    Julie

    --
    Julie
    **********

    Juliana L Holm, Jul 18, 2005
  17. Juliana L Holm

    Bill Funk Guest

    OK, then what were you saying?

    Bill Funk, Jul 18, 2005
  18. Actually I wasn't saying anything. Someone else said that the media wouldn't be
    sufficient for my needs, and yet another person said that they did not under-
    stand what the first person said, and asked for the clarification.

    What I was saying was that since I have a 30GB ipod, and take only 4 mega-
    pixel pictures with the digital camera, that I think it will be sufficient.

    Does that clarify it?

    Julie

    --
    Julie