Long Delays in Receiving Email

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ex_OWM, Sep 16, 2005.

  1. Ex_OWM

    Ex_OWM Guest

    We have our site registered with register.ie* and were originally using
    their email lite package with mailforwarding to an external (ISP) POP3
    account but found intermittent delays in email delivery and some emails
    getting lost. Because of this, a few weeks ago, we took out an email hosting
    package with registerfly.com with an MX record at register.ie pointing to
    Registerfly.

    Over the last few days we have been experiencing very long delays again, I'm
    at a loss to figure out whether the delay is with register.ie or
    Registerfly.com; the latter would seem the likely culprit but it just seems
    a strange coincidence that I should have picked a dodgy host after having
    similar problems with register.ie. Mind you, I'm less than impressed with
    Registerfly support so far, a ticket opened 24 hours ago but no response so
    far :(

    Can anyone suggest how I can pin this down before I decide to move our email
    hosting yet again?

    A sample header from a delayed email is below (real addresses munged). This
    was sent to me at GMT 17:30 on Wednesday14 Sep and only arrived in my inbox
    at about GMT 08:00 the next morning - a delay of over14 hours!

    (Note - the mail is being sent to and from the same domain but in different
    parts of the country)

    Email Headers:
    =========
    From: "Bruce, MyCompany" <>
    To: "'Martin, MyCompany" <>

    Subject: xxx
    Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:28:01 +0100

    *Footnote
    ========
    '.ie' - Ireland - is a controlled TLD and IME so far, Irish registrars offer
    a poor service, mainly, I suspect because the market is not competitive. For
    example, most of them only give one POP3 account unless you take out one of
    their paid for email services. I've struggled in vain to find an external
    registrar who will offer a better service.

    Ex_OWM, Sep 16, 2005

  2. Ex_OWM

    Mike Easter Guest

    What you have displayed does not demonstrate any delays:

    Abbreviated Received traceline timestamps
    by unknown.sagonet.net 14 Sep 17:11:39 -0000
    by mail07.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net 14 Sep 17:30:02 -0000

    The item went 83.71.88.29 helo Sligo > mail07 > sagonet

    In the munged headers you have pasted, unless something has been left
    out, unknown.sagonet.net would be considered your 'mailbox', and the
    item arrived in your mailbox close to the time it was received by mail07
    from the source calling itself helo Sligo.

    When you say 'arrived in my inbox' in the par above, the inbox might be
    a mailuser agent such as OE which fetches its mail from an smtp server
    that accesses the sagonet. If there is more to the story than the
    headers display, you will have to describe it, because the headers don't
    display the delay you describe.

    The headers won't display a delay in your OE fetching the mail from the
    pop server.

    Mike Easter, Sep 16, 2005

  3. Ex_OWM

    Ex_OWM Guest

    That's what I thought.

    I check my mailbox every 5 minutes and although the mail seems to have
    arrived in my box at Sagonet with no delay, for some reason it wasn't
    available to me for another 14 hours. My email host Registerfly (obviously
    using a server at Sagonet) has a webmail facility and I checked this several
    times during the intervening 14 hours and the messsage didn't appear there
    either.

    It looks very much to me that it's a problem with their mail server
    collecting the mail but not releasing it for some reason.

    Now 30 hours since I posted a support ticket with them and they still have
    not responded so I guess it's time to move elsewhere.

    Ex_OWM, Sep 16, 2005
  4. Ex_OWM

    Mike Easter Guest

    I'm not clear on the mechanics of what registerfly is doing and why the
    role of registerfly isn't reflected in the headers you posted. If your
    mail is 'going from' sagonet to registerfly, how come registerfly isn't
    stamping the headers?
    And by them 'mishandling' the mail - by not stamping it and also by
    delaying it - their mishandling is 'concealed'. Very 'clever' ie sneaky
    style of mishandling.
    That sounds like a plan.

    I don't understand what the role of the 'intermediary' registerfly is
    supposed to be anyway.

    Mike Easter, Sep 16, 2005
  5. Ex_OWM

    Ex_OWM Guest

    Sagonet are a provider of dedicated servers, looks to me that registerfly
    are using them - the fact that they don't use their own servers, or at least
    have the sense to rename the dedicated server, is enough to put me off for
    starters :(

    Ex_OWM, Sep 16, 2005