    Safe mode ditto, cannot login with another account (administrator for
    example).

    Any good advice or relevant observations please?

    Sven, Jun 7, 2004

  2. Sven

    °Mike° Guest

    Press the F8 key at startup until the menu appears.
    Choose the 'Last Known Good Configuration' from
    the list. If that doesn't help, boot from the XP CD
    and choose to repair the installation; follow the
    prompts carefully.

    °Mike°, Jun 7, 2004

  3. Sven

    Sven Guest

    Press the F8 key at startup until the menu appears.
    Thanks Mike, what if I cannot find my xp disk!? Tried the F8 to no avail.

    If I mount the hdd in another pc what can I do?

    Sven, Jun 7, 2004
  4. Sven

    why? Guest

    <snip>

    http://www.google.com/search?q=xp+login+saving+settings
    Several mention, disable fast user switching.

    AnandTech Forums - Nasty Windows XP login problem
    .... Topic Title: Nasty Windows XP login problem Topic Summary: Created
    On: 05/24/2004 ... in
    to os when i click on the login prompt i get saving settings message and
    <http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=34&threadid=1317028&enterthread=y>
    - 87k - Cached - Similar pages

    Windows XP Pro Login Problems - Welcome Screen and Fast User ...
    .... After making these changes, saving the security event log, then
    clearing it, I logged
    out, and ... Apparently, Windows XP generates login failure events ...
    www.exodus-dev.com/techtips/windows_xp_pro_login_problems.htm - 11k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    Utter Access Discussion Forums - Windows XP login screen
    .... Windows XP login screen Posted on ... I've tried going in safe,
    admin, last best settings etc but it still does the same thing Login,
    saves setting, logs out. ...
    www.utteraccess.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=325666&Main=302817 -
    30k - Cached - Similar pages

    many other similar.

    Me

    why?, Jun 7, 2004
  5. Sven

    °Mike° Guest

    Contact Microsoft?
    What good would that do? The problem is in the
    installation of XP that's on that disk.

    °Mike°, Jun 7, 2004
  6. Sven

    nut Guest

    Very little, except running chkdsk from there if you can't get into safe
    mode.

    A windows repair would be the next step... for which you'll need the Windows
    XP CD... be sure and get the same version as is installed or you'll run into
    more problems.

    nut, Jun 7, 2004
  7. Sven

    nut Guest

    nut, Jun 7, 2004
  8. Sven

    why? Guest

    Don't know, I am not reading every referenced article, that's for the OP
    to work through. If that doesn't work / is of no use there are more
    then the few articles I pasted links for.

    Me

    why?, Jun 7, 2004
  9. Sven

    Jim Berwick Guest

    You will need to hope the machine is on a network, and has remote registry
    editting capabilities turned on. Then you will find, this registry key has
    garbled data HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT
    \CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

    If you can not remotely edit the registry, you will actually need to do a
    fresh reinstall, as a repair wouldn't fix it for me

    Jim Berwick, Jun 7, 2004
  10. Sven

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Wipe the machine out and reinstall, because it's gone.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 7, 2004
  11. Sven

    Jim Berwick Guest

    As I said in another post here, if the machine is networked and you didn't
    disable the remote registry service, you can fix it by deleting a certain
    registry key remotely. Otherwise, you are beat and a clean install is all
    that will fix it.

    Jim Berwick, Jun 8, 2004
  12. Sven

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I read your original post. But most likely, I think you can stick fork in
    it. It may be a done deal. :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 8, 2004
  13. Sven

    Jim Berwick Guest

    I read over on alt.windows-xp how the thing works, and actually prepared
    a fix. This is actually caused by spyware changing a critical registry
    key and then AdAware removing the file that key is pointing at. This
    fixes it.

    Boot off your Windows XP CD.
    Do NOT press F2 to use automated system recovery.

    When given the choice between installing and repairing, press R to repair
    using the recovery console.

    Press 1 (since there should be only 1 installation).

    Type the machine's administrator password. Unless the user has changed it
    themselves, it will be blank (as in, no password).

    You will get the command prompt, c:\windows>

    At this point, you should do the following:
    cd system32
    copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
    exit

    This will allow windows to load userinit (albeit named differently) and
    let you log in normally.

    Jim Berwick, Jun 8, 2004
  14. Sven

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I appreciate this info. However, the key is to not allow malware to reach
    the machine. Some people may not like this statement, but I do find that
    using the Host with those predefined Domain Names and the 127.0.0.1
    LoopBack IP prevents a lot of things from coming to one's machine. The
    use of the Host file is not about stopping ad(s) and what not.

    It's about stopping any application from using an URL in program code and
    doing a lookup to obtain an IP. If the Host is in play, the O/S will go
    there first to obtain the IP and if the Domain Name is there, the use of
    the Loopback IP prevents it from making contact with the site, otherwise,
    the O/S gets the IP from the DNS at the ISP and makes contact. It doesn't
    matter if it's a Web or background running program.

    Use of the Host as a prevention measure goes a long way. That and one's
    common sense and not having *happy fingers* that click on unknown things.

    I use Ad-Aware on a routine basis, but it finds nothing but a couple of
    tracking cookies when I run it, since I implemented the Host on the
    machines.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 8, 2004
  15. Sven

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Sure, a host file can do wonders. Now explain to me how to include in it
    all present sources of advertising agents and spyware and malware, as well
    as keeping it constantly updated with the newest sources without my having
    to make 12,000 support calls per week to walk people through doing it?
    Otherwise, Spybot + Immunize + Bad Download block is a very easy, very
    effective method to achieve the same thing.

    Jim Berwick, Jun 8, 2004
  16. Sven

    Duane Arnold Guest

    That's your problem not mine. :)
    I believe one goes to where one is suppose to go and that's to the O/S
    and secure it, if one has an O/S where security can be implemented. The
    Host is part of the O/S. So it takes a little effort to implement and
    maintain the Host. For me, the buck doesn't stop any where else but the
    O/S.

    I am not into the crutch technology like application control, browser
    scripting control, spam control in PFW(s) and all of that other junk
    that's in them, which only confuses the end-user.

    This also includes Trojan, spyware, malware detection crap that can
    easily be circumvented and defeated I am not into anymore. I run Ad-Aware
    once in a blue Moon now. That kind of programming technology you mention
    is always a day late and a dollar short to day zero in the wild exploits.

    I think that one needs to look around from time to time with something
    like Active Ports and review inbound and outbound connections and what is
    happening on the machine. I also think one needs to use something like
    Process Explorer as well and review processes running on the machine.

    I do like a good AV. :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 8, 2004
  17. Sven

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    http://www.spamblocked.com/hosts.html

    very simple, very easy...

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Jun 8, 2004
  18. Ask Rich Tietjens why he is spam advertising the abuse domain, off-topic.
    ____******* Please NOTE: this post will NEVER be legally cancelled*******___

    Rich Tietjens' CEO of s p a m b l o c k . c o m HOSTS THE x-no-archive stalker -- a
    Usenet
    stalker and NOTHING but a stalker with many 1000s of spam off-topic Usenet posts over
    several years. Read about this
    at

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=&output=gplain

    Anonymous Sender, Jun 15, 2004