    I've only ever seen that once, perhaps on Windows 7. I don't
    think it is quite as common on the older OSes.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 15, 2013

  2. Paul

    Robert Baer Guest

    I had a large slowdown on my computer lasting for maybe a week and i
    finally got tired of it.
    So i ran ProcessExplorer and found 2 entries for Avast "Critical
    Update" running, and let it run alone..after an hour it was still going!
    Could not kill either entry.
    Called Avast tech support and they had me load a remote access prog
    called LogMeIn; they wound up forcing a regular update, and that solved
    the problem.
    On exit, it is supposed to wipe itself - and it did remove itself
    from the HD, but on power down/power up the damn thing came up.
    Used good old RegCleaner to remove entries (BTW,there was a companion
    one for Google) which solved that garbage.
    So, i decided to be a bit aggressive and search for all versions of
    it on the HD and in the registry.
    Upshot is that there are a number of entries in the registry that
    start LEGACY_LMIRESCUE that refuse to be removed.
    How can i RIP them out?

    Robert Baer, Oct 15, 2013

  3. Paul

    tony sayer Guest

    Try CCleaner ...

    formerly known as crap cleaner they have a REG clearout facility..

    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

    tony sayer, Oct 15, 2013
  4. Paul

    Robert Baer Guest

    Useless, demands XP or "better".
    I run and use Win2K, and it may be another 5 years before i
    "upgrade", if ever.
    I like the way Win98Se and Win2K present things without hiding
    programs and hiding services (after proper "unhide" box checking).
    I also like the smaller desktop icons (i use roughly 70 shortcuts),
    and the fact that Win2K supports all functions of my 5+ year old
    motherboard; XP does NOT support the Ethernet on-board port (being
    SLIGHTLY important), the video capture card is not supported in XP, and
    the sound also is not supported.

    Robert Baer, Oct 15, 2013
  5. Paul

    tony sayer Guest

    Soz!, I thought we were the last people using WIN2K which is on a remote
    rarely used machine and good it was too!..

    Tell you what I was thinking like that till I used WIN 7 and configured
    it to look a bit like WIN 2K and really its a decent programme about the
    best that Microsoft have done. Can't say the same for Vista ME and 8 but
    7 is very good. XP isn't really much use these days when 7 does all it
    could and more. Prolly might have to invest in a newer machine but you
    can make your own for a couple of hundred and a bit quid.....

    tony sayer, Oct 16, 2013
  6. Paul

    Robert Baer Guest

    THAT is good to know..
    So, would you be so kind as to give eXplicit instructions as how you
    twisted Win7's arm to look like Win2K?
    I tried it a few times,and once i fiddled around with the MB drivers
    and got severe complaints, but even tho Win7 implied that it did not
    accept them, most everything worked.
    Did have to attempt install twice for that..
    Do not want to waste my time and $$ on a newer MB, as anything made
    after what i have does NOT support PATA and i have hundreds of dollars
    worth of PATA drives from 40Gb up; stupid of me to toss them all.

    Robert Baer, Oct 17, 2013
  7. Paul

    tony sayer Guest

    Tell you what I was thinking like that till I used WIN 7 and configured
    Can't remember now quite but it was go into the personalise option and
    use classic windows and then set the background colour, set the folder
    text labels to white and I think there was one small other thing/s re
    appearances but the start button opens all of the program options and I
    re-sized the folder's a bit but all in I'd say it looks better than what
    WIN 2K did!...

    You shouldn't have to alter any drivers!..

    Well same here but as time goes by they are less and less useful. I've
    got no end of sticks of memory from 32 MB upwards. I'll never use them,
    a stack of old 40 Meg or less disks and the other day bought a 1 TB one
    for 44 UKP inc VAT tax for the wife and I doubt she'll fill that for
    ages yet!

    In fact most all of it is just taking up space all down to it might come
    in useful oneday;!..

    tony sayer, Oct 17, 2013