Logitech MX Laser Mouse -- double clicking problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jim Beaver, Mar 5, 2007.

  1. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    I've got a Logitech MX Laser cordless mouse. The past few days, it has been
    occasionally apparently double-clicking when I click only once. The
    "second" click seems to occur milliseconds after the first, fast enough that
    I can't stop it but slow enough that it has an effect AFTER the effect of
    the "first" click.

    For example, I will click once on the Close box at the upper right of a
    window. The window will close, but a second apparent click will then hit
    the same spot on the window beneath the one I just closed, closing it.

    Another example: in OE, in one pane of the window is the inbox list of
    subject lines for my emails. I will click the delete button in the toolbar
    and the selected email will be deleted. But often, the phantom "second"
    click will trigger the delete button again and the next email in the list
    will be deleted, too, before I can stop it.

    I've checked the mouse click timing thingamajig in control panel, and it
    seems normally set. Any ideas about how to stop my mouse from repeating
    actions a second time before I'm even aware it's happening?

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Mar 5, 2007

  2. Jim Beaver

    Demolitio Guest

    I don't know if this will help, but...

    if you installed the drivers on the cd that came with your mouse, get
    into SetPoint options and play around with the preferences. try loading
    the default settings, and see if that will work.

    to do this:

    right-click on the logitech icon in your system screen and select "Mouse
    and Keyboard Settings". there may also be a "setpoint" icon in your
    control panel.

    Demolitio, Mar 5, 2007

  3. How old is it? >3 years with daily computer use, suspect the switch--it
    has either gone south or the solder beads holding it to the PC board
    underneath have crystallized and created an intermittent connection. There
    is a possibility (if you know what you are doing and are handy with tools)
    that you can either resolder the leads or replace the switch; this is
    probably your only way out if you want to keep the thing and can't find a
    replacement.

    Gary G. Taylor, Mar 6, 2007
  4. Jim Beaver

    Pennywise Guest

    Mine does this on the middle click, it comes and goes; with Agent a
    middle click goes to the next message, I go two at a time when it
    happens. I've learned to be real quick when it acts up :)

    With Opera I'm just used to two of the same link tabbing up...

    It's as Gary G. Taylor mentioned, it's age and a bad switch, at least
    I'm sure that's my problem, and nothing a new mouse won't fix.

    Pennywise, Mar 6, 2007
  5. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    The switch you mention -- in the mouse itself? If you guys mean in the
    motherboard of the computer, then how does replacing the mouse help?
    Wouldn't the problem remain? BTW, the mouse is about eight months old.
    Wireless.

    Thanks.

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Mar 7, 2007
  6. Jim Beaver

    Pennywise Guest

    Got a spare mouse? Use it and see if your problem still exist.

    No spare

    Start | Run <type in>
    Main.cpl
    <enter>

    Exchange the left and right buttons (switches) and see if the right
    button gives a double click when used.

    Pennywise, Mar 8, 2007