Locally stored e-mail messages

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Jul 2, 2012.

  1. This is probably the hammer hitting me in the middle of my forehead that I
    cannot see...

    Email services are moving to cloud-based systems, but I want to keep my
    Inbox locally on my PC. I had a horrible experience last week with
    RoadRunner that caused my entire inbox to be deleted BY RoadRunner. I made a
    call to Time Warner Cable to cancel my service because I am moving, they cut
    the cost for the partial month, BUT that caused the size of the mail box to
    be drastically reduced which then caused messages that said my inbox was too
    full to receive any new messages. ON THE PHONE CALL to Tech Support, the
    tech support person deleted the inbox and all of the messages. Time Warner
    says they can recover the files from their servers, but I have very low
    confidence that this is true. In theory it is entirely true, but as time
    passes it becomes less and less true, and they said they will get on it as
    soon as they can then gave a window of about 6 weeks. I'll be very surprised
    if they can recover the files after that much time.

    This leads to the question, how does one store cloud-based e-mail content
    locally? Do some services, Yahoo, GMail, and so on, have a way to select
    messages to physically download and store locally?

    My story is really about a friend, not about me personally, but I'm trying
    to help her with new email service to store her messages locally so that if
    the cloud has a bad day -- like it had a week ago -- then she will still
    have the important records that these emails contained. She was secure in
    her thought that her stuff would always be there, and it isn't Sadly, she
    did not do anything to save locally, but it is very hard to find the proper
    buttons to click that make local storage a reality.

    I have a Yahoo account that I can access with my Outlook Express. I use OE
    to get all of my email, and I _think_ my messages are store locally in a
    ..DBX file, and if the cloud goes away then I still have my past messages on
    file in the DBX. OE goes out and polls my various accounts for new messages,
    and I never use the web-based clients to view my email messages.

    OE is no longer available and has been replaced with Windows Live Mail,
    which I think is still a cloud-based program -- one can view messages, but
    the content is stored out on the cloud, not locally.

    Perhaps she needs to use Thunderbird? Does that store locally? She is using
    Win7 for her OS.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 2, 2012

  2. Jeff Strickland

    - Bobb - Guest

    That would work for her.

    http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/features/
    If you tell Mozilla Thunderbird to make your IMAP account Inbox available
    offline, all messages will automatically be downloaded to your computer and
    you can read them or write replies without being connected.
    https://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Lightning:Screenshots

    - Bobb -, Jul 2, 2012

  3. As crappy as OE6 is, it has never failed me -- knock on wood.

    It's not possible to have a situation worse than my friend is facing. She
    lost years of messages that will never be seen again unless Time Warner
    Cable (the ISP) is able to pull a rabbit out of a hat. Nothing is what she
    has now, even OE would be an improvement.

    I'm gonna look to see if she can make a yahoo, gmail, whatever account and
    then use Thunderbird for the client-side presentation application.
    Hopefully, this will pull the emails down from the cloud and store them
    locally. If they remain on the cloud, then that's fine, but she (and I) want
    message content stored locally.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 2, 2012
  4. Jeff Strickland

    Daniel47 Guest

    Robert, why would Jeff get his friend's ISP to re-direct her e-mails to
    a Gmail account when the friend could just set Thunderbird up to
    download her mail direct from her ISP??

    If the friend does have a Gmail account or whatever, I think there is an
    add-on for TB which will also download her e-mails from Gmail on to her
    computer.

    I'm using SeaMonkey Suite which includes a browser (Firefox equivalent)
    and an e-mail client (Thunderbird equivalent) and a website builder
    (Composer) and an IRC client (Chatzilla).

    HTH

    Daniel

    Daniel47, Jul 3, 2012

  5. I use OE6 to poll my web-based accounts, and it works fine. My friend has
    Win7, and OE6 is not available for that OS, so I need an alternative.
    Thunderbird should do the trick. The issue is whether the web-based service
    will allow content to be polled via a POP3 client -- I think I am saying
    that correctly. I know that basic Yahoo does not support POP3, one must have
    Yahoo Plus in order for POP3 clients to come along and poll for messages.

    I've never heard of SeaMonkey, I'll have to look into that... Thanks.

    AND, the Time Warner subscription is being turned off due to a move, so TW
    is not gonna forward anything anywhere.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 3, 2012
  6. Jeff Strickland

    - Bobb - Guest

    Gmail does that for free.
    Client email on Yahoo cost per month

    - Bobb -, Jul 3, 2012
  7. Jeff Strickland

    - Bobb - Guest

    I have gmail set up for free - uses imap server
    "imap.gmail.com"
    "smtp.gmail.com"
    copies all server folders to pc - available offline

    - Bobb -, Jul 3, 2012
  8. Do you do that from within Gmail, or do you use an aftermarket client --
    Thunderbird, etc. -- to poll your Gmail account?

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 4, 2012
  9. Jeff Strickland

    Paul Guest

    A web-mail account, uses a browser and HTTP (port 80) protocol,
    to transfer mail.

    When the protocols are non-web-based, you need a different client
    that understands the protocol. Such as imap or pop3.

    There is a table in this article, with email clients on the left,
    and protocols across the top.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_email_clients

    Table: "Communication and access protocol support"

    Thunderbird is listed as "Mozilla Thunderbird" to make it harder to find :)
    Similarly, Outlook is listed as "Microsoft Office Outlook".

    What's funny is, the email clients I've never heard of, have
    the best protocol support.

    *******

    As for Seamonkey, it's a continuation of another project, only
    with a different name.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeaMonkey

    "It is the continuation of the former Mozilla Application Suite,
    based on the same source code."

    There was a diagram once, showing the relationship of all the browsers,
    and what they evolved from. A huge diagram. I suppose no one's had the
    time to keep it up to date.

    This might be the first browser I played with. When the IT department
    detected we were downloading this, they made us throw it away (due
    to the license restricting usage).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_(web_browser)

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 5, 2012
  10. Jeff Strickland

    Joe J Guest

    Read through this thread with great interest and don't want to hijack it,
    but...I use Win 7 with Office 2010 and Outlook, not Express, for my main
    mail. Where is my mail, inbox, folders etc stored? I just assumed it was
    on the desktop PC. because under accounts it says it is delivered to
    C\users\"name"\appdata\local\Microsoft\outlook\outlook1.pst. Am I correct?
    Thanks

    Joe J, Jul 5, 2012
  11. Jeff Strickland

    - Bobb - Guest

    On this PC I use Outlook Express. I map Comcast accounts to my " Local
    Folder" and Gmail account to a Gmail Folder. Gmail creates all of the
    subfolders on local PC to match the server folders.

    If you use OE for newsgroups, when you click the " account name" folder, the
    top level directory for IMAP looks similar to a newsgroup folder:
    Synchronize , Imap Folders, Settings
    and I see all folders under that.
    For Thunderbird, review setup/settings here:

    https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/imap-synchronization

    - Bobb -, Jul 7, 2012
  12. Jeff Strickland

    Daniel47 Guest