    am also asked if my computer has two modems to facilitate nternet
    access! just how difficult is this job? Thanks for any help
    glenn

    gumpractitioner, Oct 21, 2005

  2. gumpractitioner

    gordon Guest

    What flavour of XP are you using? (Pro or Home and what Service packs are
    installed and do you have any firewalls installed?)

    gordon, Oct 21, 2005

  3. gumpractitioner

    Tony Guest

    TCP/IP is the protocl you need for the two computers to talk to each other.
    You can set it up with either a "static" or "dynamic" IP address.

    If you want to share an internet connection between the two, it will best to
    use dynamic IP adresses.

    To use dynamic IP addresses, you need a DHCP server on one of the computers.

    To turn on DHCP, the easiest way is to activate ICS.

    You can do this by going to start>>connect to>>show all connections on the
    computer that has the internet conection.

    Right click the icon under Dial-up, click on the advance tab along the top.

    Select Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet
    connection. Then click okay.

    Then connect the other computer and boot it up. It should now get an ip
    address allocated.

    If you want to allocate IP addresses manually, right click on the Local Area
    Connection icon, then click on properties.

    Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click the properties button

    Select Use the following IP address and type in IP address 192.168.0.1 then
    press tab at the end and it should fill in the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0.
    Do the same on the other computer but use a different IP address
    e.g.192.168.0.2.

    Also make sure both computers have the same workgroup name.

    Go to control panel. Double click on the system icon and click on the
    computer name tab. To change the workgroup name, click the change button.

    To check the IP configuration, go to Start>>all programs>>Accessories and
    click on command prompt. Type ipconfig at the command prompt or for more
    information type ipconfig /all (with a gap between ipconfig and /all).

    Tony, Oct 21, 2005
  4. gumpractitioner

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Oct 21, 2005