    Both dsl connections are with the same isp,
    and are both terminating on the same cisco
    router at the isp.

    Captain, Jun 27, 2004

  2. Some ADSL conns can be bonded. Speak 2 ur ISP.

    Fatman Superstar, Jun 27, 2004

  3. Captain

    Captain Guest

    Actually, we are the ISP.

    The end user,(because of line issues), has a very slow
    upstream speed rate, so I want to be able to offer him
    a better choice then moving to a T1,(I just am not sure
    of if the bonding would work, or what other issues might
    come up).

    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

    Captain, Jun 27, 2004
  4. :Actually, we are the ISP.

    :The end user,(because of line issues), has a very slow
    :upstream speed rate, so I want to be able to offer him
    :a better choice then moving to a T1,(I just am not sure
    :eek:f if the bonding would work, or what other issues might
    :come up).

    Are you using PPPoE? If so then enable MP (Multi-point) bundles on the
    PPP layer, ensure you have the proper controls so that users can
    only use the number of bundles they are authorized for, and it
    should be a go (in theory.) PPP supports distributing traffic
    over multiple connections, and supports bringing up and down
    connections depending upon load. It just isn't often done for ADSL
    because most ISPs can't be bothered co-operating.

    Walter Roberson, Jun 28, 2004
  5. Captain

    Captain Guest

    Yes, we are using PPPoE.

    Does MP need to be on the customer's end, or at our end(ISP),
    or on both ends?

    What would be a good choice of router for the customer?
    (ie. I would need atleast 3 ethernet ports, so I'm thinking a
    800 series would work, but would that be a little under powered)?

    Captain, Jun 28, 2004
  6. :Yes, we are using PPPoE.

    :Does MP need to be on the customer's end, or at our end(ISP),
    :eek:r on both ends?

    Both, it is negotiated.

    :What would be a good choice of router for the customer?
    :(ie. I would need atleast 3 ethernet ports, so I'm thinking a
    :800 series would work, but would that be a little under powered)?

    I would have to look over the 800 series specs again, but my
    recollection is that none of them support 3 ethernet ports. One or
    two of the models might support ADSL plus 2 ethernet ports, perhaps --
    but I wouldn't -expect- that ADSL level to know about MP.

    Are you thinking of a single unit with N ADSL ports and an ethernet
    port, or are you thinking of a single unit with N ethernet ports that
    you will connect N-1 of to standard ADSL modems? If so, then those ADSL
    modems would have to support MP.

    I haven't looked at Cisco's site to figure out whether any of their
    PPPoE implimentations support MP.

    Walter Roberson, Jun 28, 2004
  7. Captain

    Captain Guest

    I was thinking of using 2 dsl routers,(each with their own ethernet
    port), then using a cisco806,(which has 5 ethernet ports on it),
    to connect to the 2 dsl modems, and then use a 3rd port for the
    customer to use as their Internet gateway.

    Anotherwords, the 806 would just be used to do the bonding,
    (the dsl routers themselves would handle the actual connections),
    but even using the 806 just for bonding, I'm unsure of it's
    limitations?

    Captain, Jun 28, 2004
  8. :I was thinking of using 2 dsl routers,(each with their own ethernet
    :port), then using a cisco806,(which has 5 ethernet ports on it),
    :to connect to the 2 dsl modems, and then use a 3rd port for the
    :customer to use as their Internet gateway.

    In another thread today, someone used the key phrase MLPPP . That's
    probably the feature you need to investigate. But they warned that
    it is a resource hog.

    Walter Roberson, Jun 28, 2004