    Is this normal?

    I am not interested in shooting in burst mode, but it would be nice to
    be able to take shots 1 or 2 seconds apart.

    Wally, May 10, 2014

  2. Wally

    Robert Coe Guest

    : When I shoot in Live View (manual focus), the camera won't shoot again
    : until I wait about 5 seconds.
    :
    : Is this normal?
    :
    : I am not interested in shooting in burst mode, but it would be nice to
    : be able to take shots 1 or 2 seconds apart.

    One thing that might conceivably cause that effect is a slow or badly
    fragmented CF card. Try formatting the card. If that doesn't help, try to
    borrow a faster card and see if it makes a difference.

    And if you're controlling the camera via a tethered PC, make sure the computer
    isn't the problem. Some cheap tablets, for example, are appallingly slow.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 10, 2014

  3. Wally

    Wally Guest

    The camera works fine in regular mode -- is slow only in Live View.

    It would be useful to know if all 7Ds do this. If so, I will live with
    it. If not, then perhaps the camera is malfunctioning, or a setting is
    wrong.

    Wally, May 10, 2014
  4. Wally

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : >: When I shoot in Live View (manual focus), the camera won't shoot again
    : >: until I wait about 5 seconds.
    : >:
    : >: Is this normal?
    : >:
    : >: I am not interested in shooting in burst mode, but it would be nice to
    : >: be able to take shots 1 or 2 seconds apart.
    : >
    : >One thing that might conceivably cause that effect is a slow or badly
    : >fragmented CF card. Try formatting the card. If that doesn't help, try to
    : >borrow a faster card and see if it makes a difference.
    :
    : The camera works fine in regular mode -- is slow only in Live View.

    Since a camera operating in LV mode has the mirror up, it presumably has to
    take a different approach to autofocusing. In particular, it might have to
    wait until it finished reading the previous image from the sensor before it
    could start to focus again. That could exaggerate the effect of a slow CF
    card.

    : It would be useful to know if all 7Ds do this. If so, I will live with
    : it. If not, then perhaps the camera is malfunctioning, or a setting is
    : wrong.

    I have two 7Ds, but I can't recall ever using them with LV. My wife and I did
    a shoot using LV three or four years ago, but I'm pretty sure we used her
    camera.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 10, 2014
  5. Wally

    Wally Guest

    (manual focus...)

    Wally, May 10, 2014
  6. Wally

    Sandman Guest

    Sounds weird, my Nikon D4 can take a new picture instantly in live view,
    but I don't have any Canon cameras så I can't comment on whether this is
    common, but it shouldn't be.

    Sandman, May 11, 2014
  7. Wally

    Wally Guest

    I found out through some tests that the issue is related to Review
    Time (of the pic just shot on the LCD). If I set Review Time to Off, I
    can shoot every 2 sec or so. If Review Time is 4 sec, then I have to
    wait 5 sec.

    But it is not a simple relationship, because for a Review Time of 8
    sec I can still shoot every 5 sec or so.

    ??

    Wally, May 11, 2014