Live Linux Distros

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by CollectorNZ, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. CollectorNZ

    CollectorNZ Guest

    CollectorNZ, Feb 18, 2004

  2. CollectorNZ

    steve Guest

    Thanks for that.

    steve, Feb 18, 2004

  3. CollectorNZ

    CollectorNZ Guest

    If you try out any post your results back here for all to see. I am
    trying some of the entertainment distros at the moment for the hell of
    it and because it fills a need I have for free distributable self
    booting movies.

    CollectorNZ, Feb 18, 2004
  4. CollectorNZ

    GraB Guest

    I didn't see the Lindows Live demo that was on a recent APC mag
    mentioned.

    Just tried out the Morphix CD tonight. Took a long time to boot,
    reporting invalid hard drives. Probably had a problem with my Promise
    Ultra100 TX2 hard drive controller card but neither Knoppix or Lindows
    had a problem with that.

    With the Morphix CD the display on my 15" monitor was pincushion
    distorted and couldn't be adjusted at all, same as with the Knoppix
    CD, but the Lindows display was perfect.

    GraB, Feb 18, 2004
  5. CollectorNZ

    harry Guest

    Morphix is a Knoppix derivative, so it lags behind
    Adjust your monitor
    That means the video mode that they detected for was one you haven't
    adjusted your monitor for.

    harry, Feb 18, 2004
  6. CollectorNZ

    harry Guest

    harry, Feb 18, 2004
  7. How was Lindows to use?
    I've been looking at distros for my mum(currently using win98) but I
    want a distro that still has the comfortable look of Windows... and
    Lindows seems to have everything that she would want in an OS.

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 18, 2004
  8. CollectorNZ

    CollectorNZ Guest

    It is by no means a complete list, I emailed him about five extra ones
    that I know of, I considered it worthy of mention since it allows even
    beginneers to have a quick play with Linux without having to build it
    themselves.
    Not all of them are great but some a neat demos of the capabilities of
    the OS.
    I dont have a Lindows demo yet, hope to get the latest off P2P soon

    CollectorNZ, Feb 18, 2004
  9. CollectorNZ

    Arkayik Guest

    Arkayik, Feb 19, 2004
  10. CollectorNZ

    GraB Guest

    I thought is was good. I don't really use it much but you can save
    your settings, .kde, .openoffice, .mozilla folders (make them visible
    first( to a hard drive or a USB memory key and copy them back for the
    next session.

    GraB, Feb 19, 2004
  11. CollectorNZ

    Gordon Guest

    If you mean it is a branch, then you need to say that for now it lags
    behind ;-)

    Gordon, Feb 19, 2004
  12. CollectorNZ

    harry Guest

    Its not a branch.
    Its a Knoppix customisation.

    harry, Feb 19, 2004
  13. CollectorNZ

    harry Guest

    Allow me to assist :)
    http://movix.sourceforge.net/

    a.. eMoviX: a micro Linux distro meant to be embedded in a CD together with
    all video/audio files you want, so that the CD will be able to boot and
    automagically play all of its own files.

    harry, Feb 19, 2004
  14. CollectorNZ

    GraB Guest

    Interesting that it uses Gnome instead of KDE. Knoppix of a year ago
    or so detected everything on my PC but this Morphix failed to read my
    hard drives with 'invalid hard drive' messages on bootup.

    GraB, Feb 19, 2004
  15. CollectorNZ

    harry Guest

    Nothing to do with X11, Gnome or KDE or the windows managers.
    At the desktop level its Debian testing/unstable
    You should file a detailed bug report with the project.
    Something in the Morphix boot/installer is broken wrt your hardware,
    Like I said its based on earlier Knoppix.
    Its not unusual, there is a lot of hardware knoppix doesn't work with. It
    doesn't do winmodems either.

    harry, Feb 19, 2004
  16. CollectorNZ

    Arkayik Guest

    Oh YES! If your looking for something that looks and acts a lot like
    windows MEPIS is it. I tried it first because I had heard it was
    "windowsish" and I'm a linux noob.

    Late last night I installed it on a second hard drive I bought just to
    install Linux. I'm very happy with it after using Windows 2000
    previously.

    The MEPIS tools make the installation and system config easy even for
    someone new to Linux like me. In fact, this is my first install and
    I'm loving it so far.

    You will probably want to put a shortcut on the desktop for Mozilla.
    And the reviewer was right, the Mozilla composer spell check is broke.
    I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling Mozilla with Kpackage. It
    took about 2 minutes.

    Here is what the reviewer said:"The MEPIS KDE desktop is very
    Windowsish which isn't a bad thing if you are trying to attract
    Microsoft Windows users. To me it has a feel very much like Windows
    2000."

    I'm going to try pclinuxos tonight now that I'm feeling a little more
    brave. I have high hopes for it but mepis is working so well I don't
    know if gets any better than this?

    Arkayik, Feb 19, 2004
  17. CollectorNZ

    harry Guest