Litmus Test -

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Melissa_CIBER, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. Melissa_CIBER

    Melissa_CIBER

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am responsible for finding good people for tech jobs and tech jobs for good people. I used to be a headhunter you could say; now I'm more on the "find the jobs" side. Anyway -

    I have a company and a manager and a DW SQL SERVER 2005 project that needs a hard-core MDX & OLAP person. The manager gave me questions to use as a litmus test. . .

    I'd love some feedback on how you would rate these questions and their ability to determine if someone can "do" MDX, OLAP, etc. If you have a better "litmus" test - anything is appreciated. ALL feedback (even if you are telling me this is a joke) is very appreciated. . .there isn't a "brainbench" test for MDX. .:egg:

    I have also left the answers that the hiring manager has given me on here. He didn't answer them all for me. If there is another way to answer these that is more universally understood (i.e. saying "list" instead of "set") that would be awesome to know.:einstein:
    (I've cut out the data modeling questions and a lot of the ETL stuff - so you might actually read this). ..I've seen some related conversations in here. . let me know if there is a better place to post. Thanks. .
    Questions:

    1. What is the difference between a set and a tuple? a set is a slice of a cube and a tuple is a single record within a cube
    2. Define Descendants
    3. What are Aggregation levels? Basically, groupings for the purposes of calculations. Instead of rolling-up the data it can autocalc.
    **Still required to have DW knowledge including DataModeling:
    1. What is the difference between a Star and a Snowflake Schema?
    2. Which one is better for OLAP? Why?

    Modeling w/OLAP (harder question) 1. How do you handle ragged hierarchies? A) When doing the dimensional model, you must create stars at every granulation and repeat dimensions.

    :girl: Thanks for anything! :girl:

    Melissa_CIBER, Sep 18, 2006