    Could the group tell me if it's best to store Lithium ion
    batteries fully charged or discharged ?

    Chris

    Kris, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Kris

    EdO Guest

  3. Kris

    Markus L Guest

    Not all experts agree. Check newsgroup sci.chem.electrochem.battery.
    Remember having read neither 0% nor 100% is best, but 20...50%. My personal
    experience: Li-Ion cells degrade over time, doesn't make much of a
    difference whether they are used or not.

    Markus

    Markus L, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Kris

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:07:18 +0200, in this august
    The oldest device I own that uses Li-Ion batteries is my Nokia mobile
    phone (an 8210), which is a little over 3 years old now. It seems to
    hold a charge just as well now as it did when I first bought it, despite
    me making zero effort to treat the battery well.

    My advice would be to follow the instructions for the battery or device,
    if there are any, otherwise just don't worry about it.

    Lionel, Oct 23, 2003
  5. That's what I've been doing. Wing it.

    Ethan Trewhitt, Oct 23, 2003
  6. Kris

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Just about anything that depends on chemical action, especially where
    the chemicals are packaged together, will degrade over time. It's kind
    of the nature of the physcial universe, entropy, you know.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 23, 2003
  7. Hi all:

    Looking at information from the makers of Lithium ion batteries, what I see
    is this:

    Lithium ion batteries have a shelf life. They go bad just sitting, even if
    they have never been used.
    How long that shelf life is, seems to be unclear as I see no firm numbers.
    It maybe manufacture dependent.

    Lithium ion batteries, have a limited number of FULL discharge cycles before
    they go bad, some 300 to 500 times. Partial discharge cycles are not as
    harmful as full discharge is. Therefore to keep your batteries for the
    longest time, never allow them to completely discharge. Re-charging often is
    good for Lithium ion batteries.

    Lithium ion are NOT like ni-cad or nickel-metal-hydride batteries. What
    works to keep them healthy is bad for Lithium ions batteries.

    For storage of Lithium ion batteries, it makes some sense to me to fully
    charge them and store them in a refrigerator, (not a freezer) as cold slows
    down almost all chemical reactions. Or to just put them in a charger and
    leave them there as you can't over charge a Lithium ion battery in a proper
    charger. The reason for that is an over charged Lithium ion battery is a
    fire and explosion hazard and the chargers are designed to prevent that
    happing.

    John Passaneau, Oct 23, 2003