List Directories (like dir>lpt1 in dos)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, May 22, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I have recently deleted some files. It in not a problem getting copies, if I
    can remember which ones I deleted. It would have been handy to have a
    printout (Or file) with Dir listings so I could easily check. Is there a
    program that will store directory listings to a text file? If so where do I
    get it? I know a back up would have also have been a good solution, but who
    is perfect

    John, May 22, 2005

  2. John

    old jon Guest

    Google for and download `PrintFolders` it`s small, neat and adjustable to
    suit your needs. best wishes..J

    old jon, May 22, 2005

  3. http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp
    Karen's Directory Printer can print the name of every file on a drive, along
    with the file's size, date and time of last modification, and attributes
    (Read-Only, Hidden, System and Archive)! And now, the list of files can be
    sorted by name, size, date created, date last modified, or date of last access.

    And it can also save the info to a text file.

    Regards
    Thorkild Dalsgaard

    Thorkild Dalsgaard, May 22, 2005
  4. John

    John Guest

    Excellent! just the job. I already had Karen's registry pruner and it is
    also brilliant. Why does this not come as part of an OS.

    Thanks again.

    John, May 22, 2005
  5. John

    why? Guest

    Would you want it to go the same was as many other great utilities went
    when the big boys bought then out, ruined then and killed them off?
    <snip>

    Me

    why?, May 22, 2005
  6. Karen's big in the utility word. No, really big. I mean it.

    http://www.karenware.com/bio.asp

    Blinky the Shark, May 22, 2005
  7. John

    James Guest

    Why cant you just ' dir > listing.txt ' in dos?

    James, May 22, 2005
  8. John

    John Guest

    Because dir> listing.txt produces piss poor results! Karens Directory
    Printer is the dogs Gonads

    John, May 22, 2005
  9. John

    John Holmes Guest

    LOL

    OK, maybe she doesn't have the looks, but she could be really sweet and
    intelligent.
    I like Deb Shinder better. ( http://www.windowsecurity.com/Deb_Shinder )
    Allthough her website www.shinder.net sucks, she is a highly skilled IT
    professional with lots of good articles on her name. Really, there's no
    need to visit her webs(h)ite. You have been warned.

    John Holmes, May 23, 2005
  10. John

    Dave Lear Guest

    This question must get asked at least once a week in this group.
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/search?q=print+directory

    Each time it's asked I post this link...

    How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

    Dave Lear, May 23, 2005