Liquid Cooling Of Computer Chips (MS new x-box technique) ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 18, 2005.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    I have been out of the field for quite a while now, but was very curious to
    read that Microsoft's new game console just coming out has some chips in it
    that run so hot that they use liquid cooling.

    I seem to remember years ago this was tried, but everyone went away from
    this technique due to all the "practical" engineering problems. How to keep
    the liquid from oxidizing, clean, etc.

    Are they really using liquid cooling ?

    Or, is it simply a liquid-vapor sealed unit "heat pipe" to funnel the heat
    to a large heat sink, somewhere ?

    Is it a "popular" technique, again ?

    How is it implemented ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Nov 18, 2005

  2. Robert11

    Scraggy Guest

    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,510,000 for processors + liquid cooling

    Scraggy, Nov 18, 2005

  3. Robert11

    Mitch Guest

    It's not that those chips are so much hotter than others; the industry
    uses liquid cooling for CPUs and graphics processors pretty frequently.
    There are plenty of devices using the same chips that don't use liquid
    cooling, too.
    Can't be too hard; you've been able to buy simple add-on cooling
    systems for years.
    I also read years ago that it just wasn't that helpful or important a
    benefit to use a liguid; I would guess that is still the case, that
    it's a pretty minor difference. Seems like the bigger emphasis has been
    more fans and better air flow design.
    XBox? Don't know.
    Since it isn't new, I assume they'll really push the fact their system
    does it, and it still doesn't mean anything.
    Wasn't that what you thought it was before?

    Mitch, Nov 18, 2005
  4. Robert11

    Parko Guest

    Buy a bar fridge, rip off the door, and shove your box in there if
    you're paranoid about cooling. If the thing was any good it would shut
    down before it fried the CPU or whatever else was heat sensitive

    Parko, Nov 18, 2005
  5. Robert11

    DC Guest

    Like this: http://www.winbeta.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6594